Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2013, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Gas, gas, gas... At the end of the year this is my largest expense,,, If I can cut just 10% from the previous year it equals a large amount of money in my pocket.. Look at your largest expense and think of ways to reduce that, its money in the bank.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^^^ True,, one truck to CNG last November @.90cents a gallon saving in the range of 200 a month. Hope to change other 2 trucks to CNG this year or at least 1.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

All this advice is awesome guys! thank yall so much!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Some to most people who ask me this question think there is some magical solution.
There isn't, and worse is the answer may not be to your liking, but in my experience it's the only thing that works.

You have to learn to live within...
Or actually below your means.

You understand, it's a common misconception, living within one's means doesn't mean...
If I earn a thousand dollars I can budget all of that but no more.
What it means is if I earn a thousand I can budget about 900 of it, and no more.
May sound silly but that's why I call it living below your means.

Without that it doesn't matter how much you cut costs on the one end and work harder on the other,
if you spend every dime you make now you'll spend every dime later, too.

In the above example if you budget a thousand you'll be broke every dang time.
Doesn't take much to put you in a financial predicament then.

The fact you say all your equipment is paid for could be the light at the end of the tunnel.

So...
Pay off your auto insurance upfront, the day it comes due, all in one lump sum.
That will save you around $20 or more a year, when you get that renewal letter look for the lump sum total.
Once you find what it is you'd have to pay all in one lump sum, just pay it all off.

Last edited by herler; 03-28-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

In my opinion when looking at my past , things I could have done to save a ton of money. Do Not Eat Out , this is addictive and costs a fortune , back when I did this alot , $7 breakfast $7lunch go out with girl for a $40 steak dinner , and do this 3 or 4 times a week , you are over $200 a week in food , , this one thing has helped me save a ton of money. the second is enforce a 7 day waiting period on all unessisary purchases , I have made alot of purchases in the past , and then realized I don't need that 5th trimmer ,4th chainsaw , and one year I bought a mower and turned around and traded it the next year cause it wasn't what I needed 10 hrs on the machine , this sort of stuff , try to stay away from the equipment collection addiction , keep it basic simply reliable , and it will save you a ton of time wich = money , keep your equipment upgraded but don't have to much , if you are a solo op you probally do not need 4 trucks and 5 chainsaws. Just My thoughts good luck.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardin53 View Post
Get a open business account for your consumable supplies. Find a place that will sell you oil filters, blades, spark plugs, belt, tires ect at wholesale cost. Also buy in bulk when possible. I saved about 20%.

I assume you do all your own equipment service.

It may seem a small thing but you will find it to pay off over time. Hyper focus (or slow down) when mowing to NOT over lap but 1 or 2". Ok I know we all been mowing since we was a kid and we know this. Check yourself some time, If you have a mower laying down a nice strip, get a tap measure and measure the total of 2 or 4 passes after your finished. You will find out how much you are really over lapping. 4 passes with a 50" deck should measure 194" witch would be a 2" over lap (a excellent over lap). It seems silly on a small yard but you can really save time and money on large acreage. You will most likely find one direction you are fine with your over lap, but going the other direction is 3 or 4" overlap.

Find any creature comforts you can to make you feel better after a long hot day. It may cost you a few bucks but you will find if something as simple as a sweet band, ear protection, cooler light weight cloths, better boots, gloves, a hat with more sun protection, and many more. All will end up making you work better without as much fatigue. And being wore out before the end of the day is not a good thing. This is when you make mistakes and reduce productivity. And we know time is money.

My pet peeve; learn the OHIO principle. "Only Handle It Once". This goes for everything you do. this can save you a ton of time a wasted energy. Examples, don't pick up your week wacker till it is time to weed wack, When done put it back where it goes. Only handle it one time to do the job it is intended. Stopping and starting any operation is a big time waster plan ahead basically. Same for leaves and grass clippings. Don't fuss with picking them up then moving then 2 or 3 more times before you empty them off. (I see this a lot).

A lot of forethought should go into how you have your truck and trailer set up. Many times we build racks and hangers in a safe place for your equipment that may look good at first, but in practical use you end up walking around the trailer 2 or 3 times every stop when it is NOT needed if you was to mount the trimmer rack closer to the street side or drivers door. Or is he trimmer gas or replacement line stored close to the trimmers ? bet not...

Time management and work flow for a productive work place was some of what I did in years past. Not that anyone needs to work harder just smarter. If we all look closely we can find many things that will increase your productivity and this will increase out bottom line as well.
All good advice. Esp. the OHIO principle and trailer setup for efficiency.

I would add or echo tightening of routes. Gas expenses are very high and you also lose alot of time driving from property to property loading and unloading. This is one of my least favorite things to do. For the most part, I enjoy the work but hate the driving, loading, unloading. This year we are targeting neighborhoods we already work in to cluster our properties.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 03-28-2013, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
^^^^^ True,, one truck to CNG last November @.90cents a gallon saving in the range of 200 a month. Hope to change other 2 trucks to CNG this year or at least 1.
Solo, with three trucks....?
Old 03-28-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Solo, with three trucks....?
Well kinda solo, I have a Lawn truck and a construction truck. And then the go to bank truck. I run a couple of helpers when needed.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if solo use a 4cyl truck instead of a v8. you are only pulling 1 mower or maybe a big mower and a pushmower. you don't need a v8. this will cut your gas bill for your truck in half each year. 20mpg is alot better than 10mpg. you will get alot of hate especially on this site about it but you can laugh at them while you are saving alot of money each year.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bottle your own water, make your own ice, if you drink gatorade by the powder and mix your own, that will save you a few dollars per day.

Never hit the gas pedal hard, and coast to stops. That saves gas but also save a lot of wear and tear on your equiptment

Shop for parts, some of the sponsers on this site can save you a whole lot in parts.

Do real good work make the yards the best ones on their street, that will save you on advertising.

Then get your personal life debt free and efficent, it will help during a slow time.