Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
It can be made to work both ways. A large company can just as easily have the same financial problems as a small company times 20. It all comes down to proper management. Debt is not a bad thing. Good business debt can be an asset if managed properly. In the end the money will be spent either way. With my theory the costs become more fixed and easier to manage than someone that has adjusted to owning equipment and then has to eat a $8000 mower purchase.

If the sole question of how to reduce costs can be tricky. For example a few years ago we purchased a 50K diesel to replace a 30K gasser. Well the end result was that the diesel actually costs us $3000 less a year after everything is factored. In that example we spent more to spend less if that makes sense.
Please state how the truck saved $3k a year after everything was factored. All numbers I run show a loss in operating cost and ownership until around 150,000 miles. Please let me know how!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are solo and conservative with your expeditures, then you are doing all you can to reduce your costs. Don't worry about it.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For areas that have kroger and stop and shop (maybe other stores also in different areas) use gas rewards, right now I have 1700 points which is a $1.70 off a gallon up to 35 gallons. Thats a $60 savings of gas. Fill up the Truck and gas cans.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would suggest stay out of debt. By being debt free this will definitely help you grow being that you're not throwing money away to interest. Now, if you can finance something zero percent, maybe that's an option to consider.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Thats a good idea, I just drink water, I guess Im the ultimate elcheepo.

You getting any work? Tommarrow will be 4 day in a row for me, not much for next week and its supposed to rain mon and tue.
i cut one today. scalped the yard. they are getting it treated by the turf doctor and he told them to get me to do that and he's gonna spray it with nitrogen sometime next week.

most people seem to be waiting as long as they can to start. i've cut maybe 5 yards so far over the past 2-3 weeks. i did 2 mulch jobs that's about it so far.

that little cold spurt really slowed things down. hopefully in april things will pick up.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought an enclosed trailer this year and have found that I have become more efficient. Just about everything I need is in the trailer and not back at the shop.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i cut one today. scalped the yard. they are getting it treated by the turf doctor and he told them to get me to do that and he's gonna spray it with nitrogen sometime next week.

most people seem to be waiting as long as they can to start. i've cut maybe 5 yards so far over the past 2-3 weeks. i did 2 mulch jobs that's about it so far.

that little cold spurt really slowed things down. hopefully in april things will pick up.
My phone was steady ringing 2 weeks ago, then it got cold and so did the calls. Hopefully mowing will be full swing in two weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2013, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGLN View Post
I bought an enclosed trailer this year and have found that I have become more efficient. Just about everything I need is in the trailer and not back at the shop.
My point exactly. You spent a little more on the trailer and will spend more in fuel. You will gain that your equipment will stay fresher not getting rained on, road grit, etc. In the end your yearly cost maybe went up $1000-$1500. You can potentially make an additional $5000+ in labor over a season by not having lost time loading trailers and going back to the shop on occasion. So you increased your operating cost, but you also increased your potential revenue. That counts as a win.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

An enclosed trailer or box truck that's wrapped or lettered up nicely gives you instant credibility as well. It's also a rolling billboard. Can't beat that.

I sold my enclosed trailer. I'm an idiot.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-29-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
An enclosed trailer or box truck that's wrapped or lettered up nicely gives you instant credibility as well. It's also a rolling billboard. Can't beat that.

I sold my enclosed trailer. I'm an idiot.
I was reluctant to switch but I'm loving it now. Another thing I did to increase efficiency was to buy a 1 ton truck with a dump bed.