Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-28-2013, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New seed/fertilizer spreader

I'm looking for opinions on a new spreader. The one I have now is an old Lowe's (thats what's written on it) and the fins that broadcast the seed or fertilizer is damaged. I tried using it last week and its hitting on the cable that opens the bottom of the hopper. I only have about a 1/4 acre and I possibly will fertilize my dad's yard with is about 1/2 acre sometimes. I know lowes sells the Scotts. I've heard Earthway is good, but I'm not looking to spend a lot of money just for my yard and his. So at the very most $100 and I would like to stay under that or even $75. What names of spreaders are usually on the back of seed bags or fertilizer bags that will be easy to use? Or will I have to calibrate it anyway?
Stihl FC55R
Stihl BR550
Craftsman 21"
6x10 open trailer
Old 03-28-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a Scotts Accugreen..cheap. Bought it at least 8 years ago. Works like a charm. I only put organic fertilizer on my lawn (Milorganite, soybean meal, etc) so I really have no concern for how accurate it is or calibrating it. You can get it close enough and the stuff I lay on the lawn is pretty dummy proof anyways. Way better than chemical fertilizer. Not only does it fertilize, but it actually adds nutrients to the soil. Chemical fertilizers are junk, in my opinion.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Whatever spreader you choose, make sure you can accurately calibrate it to put down seed/fertilizer in pound's per 1000 sq. ft. that's important. Unfortunately, accurate spreader's aren't cheap, you really need to shop around.