Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

He grew up on a golf course is the only logical thing i have heard him say that can make me think of why he wants this done.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
I bet they didn't get hit every friday last summer.
Not every but very very few skips. I have one guy who doesn't care if his yard is dead and black striped. He gets his 5 acres mowed every week. Says if his yard is dead at least the tire marks look fresh. Obviously i don't reccomend this to people but sometimes we get all caught up in whats best for the grass. I am not adding chemicals or hurting something that isn't renewable. I fill two days with one route. If they want their yard to be cut, then cut it.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
Not sure where you guys are located but around here twice a week is common april may early june but once july and august role around I'm lucky to get once a week with my non irrigated yards. either way got the call today he accepted my bid and wants me to go bid his parents house. PRetty excited. Thanks for the help guys.
good for you, I have a few customers that with non irrigated lawns that need to be done twice a week from may-june and then in july and august, i might skip a cut or two. i also have some that need it and don't want to spend the money, and raising the deck doesn't help because it just keeps getting higher and higher...i really need to go up on the price or something because double cutting for free is getting old and i'm not getting paid for the second cut.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you're getting paid to do it - do it.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have had more than one customer PAY me to ruin their lawn in the past.

Like yourself I would advise and they'd just keep on their track.
We would talk about, because I would strongly advise it, core aerating and seeding in the fall... They'd make things sound good, but when the time came it never happened, or if it did they'd only pay for a very small type of a job, like they would tell me to core aerate and they would seed it themselves...
Which, best I could tell, they never did.
You might see it, as I do now, that is no surprise.

I could have seen it coming and I did, but at the time we were only months past the stock market crash of 2007 and I was at an all-time low in customer numbers... I hated it but I had no choice. It would take 1-2 years but eventually they'd end up with the crap lot they wanted, it almost seemed the crappier it got, the happier they became. It would stress me out in a bad way, trying to understand, knowing that so long I got paid it shouldn't matter, but yet it did because their once beautiful lawn had turned a sickly yellow...

When asked to water they would either do so sparsely, or they would over water like maniacs.
Usually there was so much water on the turf, even when the weather turned 98 degrees my Z's tires would soak in it.
It was a true task in the experience department TRYING not to rut or get stuck at pretty much all times.
When I asked them to turn it back a little bit, they'd pretty much turn it off completely.
It was always like that with these folks.

Maybe they were simply amateurs in the beautiful lawn department, the lawn existed when they bought the house, but somehow I still find that harder to swallow than they simply did not want to pay for it over the next 10-20 years so they figured they'd pay a landscaper for 2-3 years and be done.

I never understood these people, but I did understand that people like that exist, whether it made any sense to me, or not.

I tried to figure, why would they pay when they could just neglect it?
But you see, their neighbourhood had an HOA.

The worst of it was that nagging suspicion that one day I would catch the blame for it all, as they would tell the HOA how they were paying the landscaper to take care of things, I can only imagine the 'puzzled' look on their faces when asked why it looked the way it did...

I mean, I can not imagine, after everything that went between us, that nothing registered... After all they'd shake their heads up and down to everything I told them, all in all the whole thing, looking back, was one of the best acts I have ever seen my whole life.

After 2 years of it, one day I couldn't take it anymore.
I cut it one last time, left a note telling them I made a terrible mistake and they could keep the money, and I quit.

They were not the first of their kind, others came along.
The second couple I only lasted a few months before I saw red.
Today I won't work for them kind of people.
I just won't do it.

Last edited by herler; 04-18-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I still can't say with absolute certainty that the above was the case, because putting on an act requires a story and in this situation their story always added up, not once did I catch them in an outright lie... So it was either extremely well rehearsed, they had great reason not to want a beautiful lawn, or...

That is what used to drive me crazy, their story always added up.
Sure doesn't come across as acting.

Oh, they were hardly uneducated.
This was in a cookie cutter neighbourhood that had been built.
Every house had come sodded and with an irrigation system.
Yes, the builders did it, every home had a beautiful lawn for a start.
The homes themselves all came with price tags in the million dollar range.
You don't buy that kind of house without an education.

The conclusion I finally came to, the only way I could live with myself.
No it wasn't just over the lawn, it was everything else that came with it.
And I shouldn't have cared, but in this job, I do.

But the conclusion I finally came to in the end...
Because I tell you right now, beautiful lawns are no accident.
Is it takes more than a beautiful lawn and a landscaper to keep it that way.
It takes a customer who knows what it takes, and is willing to do it AND pay someone else to do it, too!
Those who have it, once they get things that way it's not so bad, but most of them aren't about just turning it over to someone else.

You understand, it's like having a perfectly restored antique in the driveway.
Are you going to let just anyone service it?

As for those people...
They either didn't want it, or they were grossly inexperienced.
It could be that they did try but didn't know how.
The part that doesn't add up is why they would lend an ear but not truly listen.
But then again, maybe they couldn't.

Today, 6 years later in that same neighbourhood...
Maybe 1 or 2 out of every 10 lawns is still looking pretty nice.
The rest are in various stages of crappy.

So it truly takes MORE than sod, an irrigation system, and a landscaper.
It takes experience on everyone's part, including the HO.
Certainly, cutting it way often is not the answer.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I see your point and am afraid I will end up with a customer like that. However it is a very nice neighborhood and if I can pick one or two yards up out of it then it would be worth it to put up with a pita for a year. I will keep you guys updated as the season is at a slow crawl right now.
Posted via Mobile Device