Old 11-23-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

How much are these Hurricanes?
Old 11-24-2013, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseld View Post
How much are these Hurricanes?
around 3300 depending on if you get them on sale or what not, mine was a demo so i paid 2788 with taxes.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Still plugging away on the dodge, We have been so busy with clean-ups we haven't had much time to work on it.

Drilling the spot welds out for the cab corner.

2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 12-04-2013, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Once you started tearing into it did that lead to a bunch of other repairs you discovered needed fixing that you were not planning on? I've always been on the fence about a major overhaul on trucks with similar age, with my luck I would do all that work only to have the transmission blow a week later. Doing it in house obviously saves a ton and tax and registration fees on a new or near new replacement are not cheap either. At what point will you decide to finally get rid of a truck and replace it?? Can't wait to see the end product w/ the new bed.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
Once you started tearing into it did that lead to a bunch of other repairs you discovered needed fixing that you were not planning on? I've always been on the fence about a major overhaul on trucks with similar age, with my luck I would do all that work only to have the transmission blow a week later. Doing it in house obviously saves a ton and tax and registration fees on a new or near new replacement are not cheap either. At what point will you decide to finally get rid of a truck and replace it?? Can't wait to see the end product w/ the new bed.
when a truck is unreliable and always broken down and costing a lot of money is when you get rid of it and sell it....my ford is at 290,000 and its been extremely reliable, so I see no issues keeping it in service and as my main plow truck until 500,000 miles on the original engine. Old goldpro here is only at 100,000 or just over and he already is redoing the body.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yea this truck just turned 100k and runs mint, so I'm not worried about throwing a few grand at it to make it pretty again, we do all of our own repairs so we save a ton of money on labor costs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I like your trucks a lot. I've been looking at a lot of 24 valve cummins. Its hard to find a nice 2nd gen dodge. Do you run your trucks stock or do you have some mods to them? any advice when checking out these trucks? This won't be my first Dodge truck, just my first Cummins
Old 12-05-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant11 View Post
I like your trucks a lot. I've been looking at a lot of 24 valve cummins. Its hard to find a nice 2nd gen dodge. Do you run your trucks stock or do you have some mods to them? any advice when checking out these trucks? This won't be my first Dodge truck, just my first Cummins
Thanks man, the red one we are rebuilding is actually an 8.0 liter v10, the white one is a cummins, it's got some small power adders, it has a fuel system, small programmer, 4 inch straight exhaust, intake,rv275 injectors, and trans work.

I would first check to see if the injection pump has been replaced, they go quite often if fuel pressure is low, and it's jot cheap to replace.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
Thanks man, the red one we are rebuilding is actually an 8.0 liter v10, the white one is a cummins, it's got some small power adders, it has a fuel system, small programmer, 4 inch straight exhaust, intake,rv275 injectors, and trans work.

I would first check to see if the injection pump has been replaced, they go quite often if fuel pressure is low, and it's jot cheap to replace.
Posted via Mobile Device
among other things...hopefully you did the kdp on your truck, dodges have there fair share of issues i'm shocked your fronts have held as well as they have. usually they need ball joints every 2 years. at least my dads 2wd cummins does. then sloppy steering. then not having good heat. you seem to be doing well with your dodges but my cummins didn't fair so well and I had 3 of them in 4 years, the 2wd ones i bought were the best. my brother had 2 cummins both had little rust on the body but so many other issues.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. The last one I looked at the owner said he had the VP44 replaced and an Air Dog fuel system and stage 5 ATS trans. Got there and there was no receipts on anything and the fuel system was not an air dog. It was a carter lift pump- not anywhere close to an air dog. Among other things I found wrong with it I was dissapointed.

And RSK I believe the 24 valve cummins does have the KPD but didn't have the problem like the 12 valve did with them. If/When I have a 24 valve I would replace it only if I was in the motor already. I wouldn't loose sleep over it. Also I have a 1500 4X4 Ram and totally agree that the stock steering linkage is junk. I will definitely upgrade the linkage with the Chrysler fix or thurens fix and do a steering brace. And i've been there done that with the heater core... not fun lol