Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-08-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
once your company is established and you have more work then you can handle, branding isn't really that important. It's when your new in business, having all matching trucks might make a difference and having everything uniform might help your image and professionalism. once you have more work then you can handle like goldpro does, having 2 or 3 different colored trucks doesn't matter. that would be a waste of money, it would be nice to have a matching fleet all lettered the same and painted the same color, and even numbered 1-4 or whatever. it's more important that he makes payroll each week then paint a truck to match the other one. but someone who only has 1 employee or works by themselves that has much lower operating costs like me and buys a second truck can paint the other truck to match and redo the body and make everything all uniform if I wanted to. my operating costs are very small compared to someone like the goldpro, he probably spends more a year in just gas then I make even. maybe not but for him to be spending 60k a year on fuel with 4 trucks running and two mowing crews doesn't sound too crazy.
I disagree. It doesnt matter how big you get, professionalism is always important. people should be able to know "Oh Goldpro? arent they the guys with the red/orange/green/yellow/silver trucks?" . brand recognition is key.

If branding doesnt mean anything, why do many of the largest fleets all match, whether it be color of trucks, uniforms, or both??

14 Years old
Old 12-09-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmarkboy13 View Post
I disagree. It doesnt matter how big you get, professionalism is always important. people should be able to know "Oh Goldpro? arent they the guys with the red/orange/green/yellow/silver trucks?" . brand recognition is key.

If branding doesnt mean anything, why do many of the largest fleets all match, whether it be color of trucks, uniforms, or both??
bigger company's do it to look professional.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

That's absolutely incorrect. You think UPS spends billions on matching trucks, logos, stores, uniforms, etc just to look professional? That is part of it, but a smaller part. It is all about brand, image, and efficiency. A business cannot reach its potentional profitability without maintaining and building their brand. Doesn't matter if you have 1 truck or a global fleet of thousands. If UPS had all different color trucks, drivers dressed in all different/random attire, they would not be the globally recognized business that they have become. Think about all the big companies, UPS, FedEx, Pepsi, etc. When you see their delivery trucks, products and employees, is your first thought that they look professional? No, you immediately recognize the logo and the image that the company presents. When you need to ship something, do you go to Joe's quick shipping service? No, you immediately think of one of the few companies that have constantly enforced their brand image in your mind because you see their matching trucks and logos every day. The image also creates a sense of belongingness with your employees. They will care more about the business, if there is an easily identified image that they are expected to maintain.

On the efficiency portion, every driver is taught to turn the truck on with their right hand while buckling the seat belt with the left hand. Uniform procedures save seconds, which turns into minutes and hours over time. That turns into more packages delivered, and most importantly more $$$$$. There isn't a successful company in the world without a brand and procedure in place.

I speak from experience because my business is lacking in this department and isn't as successful as it could be because of the lack of brand and procedure. Luckily my amazing service and good looks has partially balanced that out. Establishing an image and brand is now # 1 on my list.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Well said. It is foolish For him to paint this truck and not match at least 1 of the other ones while in the process. Business is about creating a brand. It is what brings in work. Some create a good brand, and some create a bad brand. Anyways, keep up the good work. And please reconsider matching the fleet, it pays huge dividends in the long run, in my opinion.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Wow I've never see a thread get more off track...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
Wow I've never see a thread get more off track...
Posted via Mobile Device
Your not kidding, I really like looking at the equipment, accounts and work quality. His business has clearly moved forward each year and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that at this very moment having all matching trucks and getting a bunch of calls for more work is not exactly what he wants at this moment because he is doing his darnedest to keep up with what he has. Just a guess.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
Your not kidding, I really like looking at the equipment, accounts and work quality. His business has clearly moved forward each year and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that at this very moment having all matching trucks and getting a bunch of calls for more work is not exactly what he wants at this moment because he is doing his darnedest to keep up with what he has. Just a guess.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I think if he's got about 120 accounts without having a fleet of matching trucks, people almost care more about the quality of the work they do and the service they get than if they're all the same color. I'm not saying ride around in some beat to hell and back truck. but from the looks of it you can tell he keeps them in nice shape and has them lettered up. not just cutting for beer money like joe blow....
Old 12-09-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lol this went way into left field, like I said I'm not worried about painting all my trucks to match, it's a pain in the ass and not needed at this time, in my opinion.

I have people kicking my door down for new work all year, if I could find some good hard working employees I could have 3-4 crews out mowing right now. Unfortunately that's easier said then done around here.

Either way painting trucks to match is literally the furthest thing on my mind at this point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Then why cant you??

14 Years old
Old 12-09-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmarkboy13 View Post
Then why cant you??
I can, look at my thread, all truck has been lettered, i've had shirts made, sweatshirts, had my dump trailer lettered, had lawn signs made, both the cheap ones and expensive ones. people comment on them and say they see them all over town but that's about it. they even notice the my truck with the lettering but haven't gotten much work from it yet.