Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-20-2013, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Commercial Tags

So my cousin and I formed a 50/50 LLC this year out of NJ. We use both of our trucks to cut grass, and recently some ******* reported us for not having commercial tags, so I'm expecting a call or visit from a state beauracrat in the next couple weeks. We have liability insurance for the company, and our insurance guy told us that if we didn't have lettering on our trucks (which we do not) we did not need commercial tags. Upon further research this appears not to be the case. Our problem, however, is that the trucks are not in the business name and are our personal vehicles as well as being used for the business. Both trucks are financed and I don't know if we will be able to get the financing approved in the business name.

Also, I came across non-owned auto insurance coverage, which if I understand correctly applies to vehicles not owned by the business but are being used on the business's behalf, but I don't know if this can be applied in my case. If anyone has any tips on how to stay legal in this regard I would really appreciate it.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

if you are using the trucks for commercial purposes then yes you need commeercial tags. Your insurance guy might know insurance but I wouldn't trust him on how to registar my vehicle. Further on this which i expierenced is that if the truck is not registared correctly and you are in an accident the insurance my tell you tough luck we are not paying. I was rear ended by someone doing this had noncomm plates on his business truck. His insurance would not pay because the truck was registared and insured as private use and was being used as a business vehicle.

You can have it registared in your name and still have a commercial registation.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint