Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
In that case, probably shared. Just wait.
Probably just dumb luck on my part. Ive done business with GoDaddy for several years and never had an issue. As a matter of fact, I've been doing a bunch of adding on and updating the site recently and have not had any issues. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well your site was dead for a few hours a couple of months ago when their names servers quit responding most likely (if you are using them for hosting, you are most likely using them for domain registration too).

Their reply to customers after that REALLY sucked. I have a client who several times had issues with not being able to connect to their mail servers too.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Everything seemed to run fine for me for a while - right up until it didn't. Basically this whole calendar year has been a total cluster on their end, and I do a backflip every time I pull up my site and it comes up. I do two backflips if it takes less than fifteen seconds. Last Wednesday I spent 90 minutes on the phone with support to get the answer "we're working on it, you'll see an improvement in somewhere between a few hours and a few days."

I'd advise looking for a new host now, especially if you don't yet have a big site. Mine's all on Wordpress, which is awesome, except that it means you have to move everything over just right. After reading a couple FAQs I decided I could probably figure it out, but I can pay someone and that way I know it's right.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are on a windows server then you might try moving it to a linux server.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
If you are on a windows server then you might try moving it to a linux server.
I had originally been on Linux, and somehow they migrated me back to Windows. When I realized that I called and got moved back to Linux (this was months ago). Little improvement. So I called back and they said "oh, you're running Wordpress, you should be on our grid servers." Ran ok for a couple weeks and here we are again.

Everyone you talk to on the phone there is super nice. But there's not actually a heck of a lot they can DO.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I tried designing my own site... And was that ever an awful idea. Couldn't get anything to work right. Essentially impossible to put things where I wanted them to go.
For the record I am no computer genius but it wasn't user friendly IMO.

Went to a local web designer and had it professionally done with free updates and everything for $349.40
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

TurfMaster, you have 581 other sites jammed on to your shared IP Address. By comparison, and using the more resource intensive Wordpress, Papercutter has 927 other domains. I have a couple of sites on shared servers, with other hosts, and the most sites on any one is 72. This is what GoDaddy, and some other high-volume, low-quality hosts do. If they stored cattle or chickens this way, they'd have PETA parachuting in for non-stop protests.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
TurfMaster, you have 581 other sites jammed on to your shared IP Address. By comparison, and using the more resource intensive Wordpress, Papercutter has 927 other domains. I have a couple of sites on shared servers, with other hosts, and the most sites on any one is 72. This is what GoDaddy, and some other high-volume, low-quality hosts do. If they stored cattle or chickens this way, they'd have PETA parachuting in for non-stop protests.
So what you're saying is that since I started calling them to complain they have ADDED over 200 domains to the server I'm on.

My web guy can't move me off there fast enough.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

My former partner signed us up with godaddy. Since we split, I have tried to build the site. Their design tools blow chunks. I transferred the domain to 1and1.com, I like it a LOT better, still not quite what I want in design software, but it beats godaddy hands down.

www.sinklawn.com
www.facebook.com/sinklawn

"If the majority were right, the majority would be rich" - Barrons.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

So where are you going? I just looked at your website, and it looks great. Did you already switch and are you going with WordPress?