Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-09-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason72g View Post
So where are you going? I just looked at your website, and it looks great. Did you already switch and are you going with WordPress?
I'm using a local web company who rents space on Rackspace. Yeah, there's a middleman and I'm paying more than I would if I went directly through a hosting provider, but I'm getting a level of service that I wouldn't otherwise have. While I'm perfectly capable of figuring a lot of the web stuff out with a little research and help from guys like Tony, it's spring and I'm scrambling. I like being able to say "make it so" and it happens.

I've been using Wordpress for my CMS (back end) pretty much since 2008. I had a premium template that I bought modified last year and that's what you see here. The home page will likely change one more time over the summer.

Thanks for the compliment!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I have had almost ZERO problems with Go Daddy and have used them for years. I understand how there service could be crap though. I always get Deluxe Hosting on a Linux server and only use standard websites, no extensions. When I did have extensions (Zen Cart) it was on a dedicated server. There's no way you're going to get decent performance off their $1 a month hosting! And what are they going to do for you when your site is down? Refund your $1?!? Just saying.
your page wasn
It looks like your homepage is a bit bandwidth heavy with the slideshow and video especially. The only way to get that to load fast is to have a decent server. If you were on a shared server with other heavy traffic sites, I can totally see why your page wasn't loading. It seems to be ok now. Did you switch?

Last edited by Turf Helpers; 04-10-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Nevermind. I can read...lol. You did switch.

I have heard nothing but good things about Rack Space so hopefully you will be good to go now.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty sure I never said I was paying a buck a month for hosting, bud. Anyhow, I gave their phone support folks all the chances in the world to upsell me. "I *need* my site to work, do I need to be in a more aggressive product?" "No sir, this is just a temporary issue our engineers are aware of, our 'grid' Linux hosting is the ideal fit for a Wordpress-based site such as yours, blah blah blah." For months, this goes on. FFS, it's their company, I expect them to guide me to the right product for what I need and I expect that product to work.

Look on the GoDaddy FB page and look at all the permutations of this message they've posted over the last few weeks: "Status Alert: We're aware of some hosting issues causing slowness or a lack of responsiveness on some sites. We're on it as we speak. Thanks for your patience while work on it." It ain't just me.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Absolutely. I have no doubt that they're service sucks. I also wasn't implying you paid a $1 a month, sorry if I wasn't clear. That was more a warning to others. Until they stop throwing too many sites on a single server, it's not going to get better.

You did the right thing by moving. You gave them the chance to fix it and they failed.

You now owe me a beer for the "Bud" remark.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Helpers View Post

You now owe me a beer for the "Bud" remark.

I lived in College Corner Indiana for a year so the odds of my returning to your fair state are pretty slim. If you come to the DC area, we'll hook that up!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Helpers View Post
It looks like your homepage is a bit bandwidth heavy with the slideshow and video especially. The only way to get that to load fast is to have a decent server.
First, your hosting server will not be an issue with the video, that is completely pulled off of YouTube's servers.

Also the bandwidth issue (total of 2 megs of data from his server) is not as much of a factor as how optimized the wordpress install is. Some are nice clean installs, some have plugins which are not optimized. Static content loads way faster than dynamically (which is why caching for WP is so important, reduces the amount of dynamic data to load).

That being said, even a decent server, if jammed packed with too many sites, will affect the speed of a site. (sadly, too many shared hosts will do this, and godaddy is a "volume" company)

Being the geek I am, attached is a timeline for doing a forced refresh (forces browser to re-get everything instead of using item cached in my browser) Note that it looks like it loads the homepage twice, the second one is actually loading CSS, dynamically (so it has to build the .css file each time it is called, most likely loading settings from the database)

For explanation of the graph, check here: http://fiddler2.com/documentation/Kn...eBase/Timeline

Edit, when I attached it, it shrunk it down to not be so readable, so here is a copy of it on ImgUr: http://i.imgur.com/aDuaOdp.png

Last edited by greg8872; 04-10-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just an added note for anyone looking at the timeline, what it is showing is this:

When the browser makes the request to the server, it takes 1.5 seconds before the server even feeds anything back to the browser. Then again when it calls the dynamic CSS, again, that is another 1.5 seconds to get it, again, that time is what it takes to even start sending it to the visitor.

Note the black vertical bar on entries, that indicates when the first byte was sent back to the visitor, this should be as close to the left of the timeline bar as possible. The farther away it is, the more concern there is, either server lag, or lag on processing what is being sent out. Now if most static content is fine (.jpg/.gif/.png/.js/.css) then it is most likely an issue with server actually building the dynamic content.

[/tutor-mode]
Old 04-11-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used goDaddy for about a year now and I have been pleased with the results, the site builder was sketchy to use at first but they have made improvements and it takes a little getting used to, for the price you pay its hard to complain plus being able to access and modify your site at anytime is nice. My page seems to load fines, within a few seconds, overall I am happy, just my thoughts on them. Here is my site.

www.locallawncare.ca
Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
My page seems to load fines, within a few seconds, overall I am happy, just my thoughts on them. Here is my site.
"Within a few seconds" actually falls in the "under-performing" category. You would help yourself by changing your cloud background pic to something other than a 1.6MB .png that a visitor has to watch slowly load. If you're not sure what that means, just yell and one of will help you out.

Re: GoDaddy mentions in this thread:
Here's the deal... GoDaddy blows. If you haven't been bitten yet, you either will or you just don't pay attention enough to notice the issues. If a potential lead visits your site and finds it down, what are the odds they're coming back ? Slim to none is usually the answer. Last week I was asked to work on a brand new domain registration and hosting account on GoDaddy. I was most interested just to see what a "fresh" account would look like. Well, I'll be shocked...974 domains jammed on to the IP address. For those of you that rail against Big Business, you'd be hard-pressed to find a company that fits the Big Business, sweat shop mentality better than GD. Simply awful on every level, it's just a matter of when the reality sets in.