Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my cousin hosts my server. iv loaded quicken and quickbooks onto it so i have a live instant backup aswell as hosting my site. only 5 bucks a month
Old 04-11-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm, it seems to load fine from my pc, I'll have to try at some friends and see, also the mobile site seems to be fine too. I'm not getting much new business from my website anyways, its just one of those things you have to have in this day and age. Am I thrilled with Godaddy NO, but for a non-techy guy on a budget it fits the bill. Hopefully people will stop using it and then mine will speed up, lol.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
"Within a few seconds" actually falls in the "under-performing" category. You would help yourself by changing your cloud background pic to something other than a 1.6MB .png that a visitor has to watch slowly load. If you're not sure what that means, just yell and one of will help you out.

Re: GoDaddy mentions in this thread:
Here's the deal... GoDaddy blows. If you haven't been bitten yet, you either will or you just don't pay attention enough to notice the issues. If a potential lead visits your site and finds it down, what are the odds they're coming back ? Slim to none is usually the answer. Last week I was asked to work on a brand new domain registration and hosting account on GoDaddy. I was most interested just to see what a "fresh" account would look like. Well, I'll be shocked...974 domains jammed on to the IP address. For those of you that rail against Big Business, you'd be hard-pressed to find a company that fits the Big Business, sweat shop mentality better than GD. Simply awful on every level, it's just a matter of when the reality sets in.
I do not see how that many sites on one ip itself is a big deal. if that ip leads to a load balancing server to many web servers and there is enough bandwidth to cover the data rate then it should perform well. This is how stack overflow works it, using just 6 or so ms servers and a few linux load balancing servers they cover some 800 hits per second.

not defending godaddy just discussing
Old 04-11-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Hmm, it seems to load fine from my pc, I'll have to try at some friends and see, also the mobile site seems to be fine too.
This is probably because it's cached on your PC. My saying that your background image is too big, especially for what it is, isn't an opinion. The clouds are just in the wrong format for the type of image (.png vs .jpg), which is an easy fix. You could accomplish a similar visual at 10-15% of that size, making a better user experience for every type of device. Your total home page weight is almost 4MB.

(Just ran the clouds through Photoshop and took it to 8% of the source image.)
Old 04-11-2013, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
I do not see how that many sites on one ip itself is a big deal. if that ip leads to a load balancing server to many web servers and there is enough bandwidth to cover the data rate then it should perform well. This is how stack overflow works it, using just 6 or so ms servers and a few linux load balancing servers they cover some 800 hits per second.

not defending godaddy just discussing
I get that you're not defending GoDaddy, but you're point isn't their reality. You can also mow 50 lawns a week with a Craftsman push mower or you can use the stackoverflow's Exmark Lazer Z. You can assemble your Sunday Best outfit at Walmart or you can go to Brooks Brothers. The simplest of benchmarks is the issues I see with their WP installs. If someone here asks for a review, and the domain loads slowly, I can guess it's on GoDaddy. If I see that it's a WP site loading slowly, if I guessed it's a GoDaddy site, I'm probably right 90% of the time.

I use the IPs as an easy explanation that would make sense to most people because, with GoDaddy, it is symptomatic of their overarching problems. I'll be happy to crank it up so you, Greg, and I can have a one on one on one nerd talk.

Last edited by tonygreek; 04-11-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the input, I'll see what I can do to make the background image less megabytes, I wish I was more technologically inclined, thanks.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

whoever built your site can do that. or email it to me and i can drop the file size. easy as cake. sounds like that other guy already did it too
Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure how to send it, its one of those pre-determined background images from go-daddy, I can change. Not sure how to send it, thanks.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what is the webiste?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its www.locallawncare.ca if you could somehow re-size it or whatever that would be great, I never worried too much about my website before, but now I am wondering about the performance and such.