Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-09-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

toro zmaster 400 series 52in hydro problem.

At the end of last season I started to get a very slight hesitation in my right hydro when I pull back on the control to either turn or go into reverse. It is starting to get a little worse but it only happens in reverse and only about 85% of the time. I took it into the toro dealer where I bought it from in November and they kept it for almost 3 weeks and said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and tried to accuse me of spinning the tire. So now its out of warranty of course, and it is getting worse. The machine is operable but its a pain in the A$$ on some smaller areas with a ton of turns. There are no leaks, everything is tight and I cant figure it out and sure dont want to take it into the dealer again especially in my busiest time of year, as it is my main mower for my lawn accounts. Does anyone have any idea on what could be the problem. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Third one this week.....
The pumps are bi directional...making equal power in both directions...
The lever that attaches to the pump shaft is probably a little loose...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

ok I will check to see, but i know there is a set screw that usually will come loose when something like this happens but that is all tight. I will look around for that though thanks again

It also feels as if it'll slam in when it finally turns the tire, so if I pull the control halfway back it wont move and then all of a sudden it'll want to go half speed. There has been a couple times I pulled all the way back with no tire movement, so I had to push the control back to neutral and pull back again then it would turn the tire. Just thought I would mention these things.

Last edited by pavwa; 05-09-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Its been a while since I have worried about this reverse problem since I kind of got used to it and it never really got any worse untill today. I have lost about 90% of my reverse on the right side now. I have made sure all shafts are tight, all hoses are tight, all set screws are tight but nothing improved. I really cant afford loosing the mower for a week if I take it to the dealer plus I dont wanna give them $1000000 to fix it. What can I do now?? Please help
Old 08-22-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Loosen and retighten the levers on the hydropumps..
Make sure the lever has full travel...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-22-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

the lever does have full travel, as I pull it back I can feel the wheel shake and hesitate like it wants to move and then sometimes it finally does. There are no noises coming from the pump or any where for that matter. I sat still on my driveway and slowly pulled the lever back and the wheel did not want to move so I pushed it forward to neutral and pulled back again and about halfway back it would slowly start to turn as it would shake very lightly. I can turn with help from the left side to get the mower rolling but from a dead start the right side wont turn the mower most of the time. Forward works works fine on both sides.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Take a marker and scribe a line across the lever and the shaft...
Still sounds like a damaged pump shaft...see if the marks stay lined up..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I know its been a while since the last post but i wanted to update what the problem was/is. I put a new belt on and also marked both the pulleys and pump shaft and drove it around to see if they were slipping any, in which they were not. So I took it back to the dealer because I am sick of messing with it, they said all the tests came back completely fine and they have spoke with Toro about the problem I am having. Toro said it could either be a bad wheel motor or the front caster wheel lagging behind on the turn in which will make that side lag in power. So they switched wheel motors ( put my left on the right side and visa versa) and said it seems to be ok. Now if the problem occurs on the left side, then I know it is the wheel motor. What a mess.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Almost sounds like air getting in the system? But only happening in reverse doesn't make sense?? I have had walk behinds that would get air in them from bad hoses and even a wheel motor seal, usually after sitting and when u tried to go forward or back it would it would groan and try to move till the air worked out.

Later Chris
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

its a weird thing, runs great no noises forward is fine, just the right side dosnt like to go in reverse a lot of times....time for a new one I think.