The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Trailer looks great man!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
If you can stack some of these tree jobs I would look at a weekly or monthly chipper rental.

Trailer looks great, classy. I need one soon. Baby steps to the roll off truck
Thanks! Those trees were all the same tree job, I actually bought a chipper back in November of 2011 and just sold it in January 2013 because I didn't use it for 7-8 months, but from November 2011 to July of 2012 I made a lot of money doing chipping jobs which got me landscaping jobs that added up to over 15,000. I'll buy another chipper and keep it but that chipper was 24 years old needed too much work for me. Roll off truck is nice but too heavy to go on customers lawns even a dump truck that can carry 10,000lbs like my dump trailer can is gonna be too heavy to drive over a lawn without making big ruts from the weight.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

few shots from today.

that load was also about 4' over the 2' high sides. i want to build sides for it but i feel it will make securing the load harder, if i do the 4' high sides i want so i can make a leaf box and just have to add the back gate and top for when i actually do fall clean ups...but i know once i have sides on it, i'll load it 3-4' over those sides, and i feel like the straps will be pulling the wooden sides together, not too mention the strap will have to be almost 30 feet long just to reach the other side...
Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
If your putting sides on it use 2x12 for sides. First time I used mine I had plywood and it lasted for one job before I went to the heavier sides. They have been on the trailer for 3 years. And still looking good
2x12's ? the trailer is 14' long 2x14's maybe? but i planned on using no plywood for my sides at all. i generally do things so they will last, which means taking the more expensive route, so these will be pressure treated boards as well, probably use stainless hardware for it too, and i will probably paint these sides as well when i finally build them.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
2x12's ? the trailer is 14' long 2x14's maybe? but i planned on using no plywood for my sides at all. i generally do things so they will last, which means taking the more expensive route, so these will be pressure treated boards as well, probably use stainless hardware for it too, and i will probably paint these sides as well when i finally build them.
2x12x14's would work, we use 2x12's for sideboards on our dumps and they work great. We run angle iron at the ends and flat stock in the middle with lag bolts so we can put them on top of each other so we have 2' sideboards for doing mulch, brush etc.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
2x12x14's would work, we use 2x12's for sideboards on our dumps and they work great. We run angle iron at the ends and flat stock in the middle with lag bolts so we can put them on top of each other so we have 2' sideboards for doing mulch, brush etc.
well i was probably gonna just use the stake pockets, there's 4 on each side then 3 up front i think that will be very strong, then maybe make it so i can have a 2' section and then a 3' section on top of that, if i need extra height for something.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great trailer!!! I think I would go that way over a 1 ton dump. I love the older Ford as well the 7.3 is awesome. I'm from New England as well it sucks that the rust gets to our trucks.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I left off the last of the measurement 2x12x14 we have 2 3/8 carriage bolts on each board at the pocket that 12 per side. With 2 foot sides over the stander 2 foot side when pulling a ratchet or even a chain we have never pulled the boards in
Old 05-22-2013, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

one of 5 loads i dumped today, nothing too major, only about 8,000lbs of wood

here's the second and biggest load of the day...which i found out doesn't dump well, the d-rings inside the trailer stop some of the wood from falling out. either way this load was too much to safely dump without sides to contain falling logs..

and here's that after shot of the brush clearing job i did.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

wheels powder coated black.