Register free!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Riggle followed an unirrigated, hydroseeded lawn last year and we all got to see it turn to CG by Fall... w/out irrigation I would not spend a lot of money on it this time of year... run over with a slit-seeder with a mix of grass seed containing 10-15% annual ryegrass to keep the dirt covered for the season,,, and do a real renovation this Fall...
+1
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Since you have clumps of grass...do not till because then you have clumps of grass to remove. I suggest use a sod cutter to strip off the old residue. Then a light rake or light till followed by seed. Or install sod--its quick--and you can usually get paid before the extreme dryness sets in.
If its hot there, use tall fescue, not rye. Don't let your hydroseeder use more than 20 percent rye, its aggressive--if more than 20 percent--the results will be 99 percent rye, bluegrass will be almost invisible.
This is a good spot for irrigation--or--at least a temporary set-up, timer, splitter, and 4 hoses. Deposit refunded, when returned to you
Abiotic mean not fungus or insect--so basically they are saying we could not determine the cause.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 04-18-2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-18-2013, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do a soil test
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought about tilling due to the unknown, tilling in some compost but it really does have a good grade. I went and looked again and thinking the sod cutter and then laying sod might be the best option as long as they water, and I think they will. They are to the point now they said whatever it costs, we dont care, we just want a yard.
2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax
2008 Chevy Express 3500
2000 Dodge Ram 2500
07 Deere 737 (60" 7 IRON)
07 Deere 757 (60" 7 IRON)
07 Deere 757 (60" 7 IRON)
06 Deere 757 (60" 7 IRON)
06 Deere 757 (60" 7 IRON)
14 Deere Z950R (72" 7 IRON)
14 Deere 1025R (60" Autoconnect)
10 Deere 326D Skid Loader
07 Deere G15 (Commercial 36")
01 Deere 455 (60")
11 Haulmark 8.5x22 Enclosed
11 PJ 20' Equipment Trailer
Old 04-19-2013, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPO4995 View Post
... The soil test was done by University of Illinois, and the actual diagnosis was an inknown Abiotic disorder
Posted via Mobile Device
The abiotic disorder is still troublesome,,, as though they are trying to say unknown contaminant, but the Uni should be all over contaminants...

Before you go ahead and spend the clients money on sod and wasted labor, I would check out the soil myself... what is the texture and tilth of the soil??? how does it handle water???

If the Uni can't give you necessary information then have an experienced gardener, or better yet a farmer,, take a look at a scoop full of dirt that is representative of the top 6"...

If most of the dead lawn mass will rake away, you can probably just put down a coat of compost and lay sod over that, without cutting away the top layer... If the soil is any good at all, the compost and the old rotted dead grass from last year will be healthy bed for sod...
Old 04-19-2013, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The abiotic disorder is still troublesome,,, as though they are trying to say unknown contaminant, but the Uni should be all over contaminants...
Why would they be?

Quote:
Before you go ahead and spend the clients money on sod and wasted labor, I would check out the soil myself... what is the texture and tilth of the soil??? how does it handle water???
And that will lead to what?

Quote:
If the Uni can't give you necessary information then have an experienced gardener, or better yet a farmer,, take a look at a scoop full of dirt that is representative of the top 6"...
For what reason?

Quote:
If most of the dead lawn mass will rake away, you can probably just put down a coat of compost and lay sod over that, without cutting away the top layer... If the soil is any good at all, the compost and the old rotted dead grass from last year will be healthy bed for sod...
This is a beyond bad suggestion.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

WOW
Old 04-20-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Riggle followed an unirrigated, hydroseeded lawn last year and we all got to see it turn to CG by Fall... w/out irrigation I would not spend a lot of money on it this time of year... run over with a slit-seeder with a mix of grass seed containing 10-15% annual ryegrass to keep the dirt covered for the season,,, and do a real renovation this Fall...
Smallaxe if you cant get grass to grow with out a sprinkler system then You are not very good Landscaper
The people that hydro seed that lawn you talking about might not prep the lawn for the hydro seed to start with.
I always have 4-6''of depth for a seed bed before I straw or hydroseed or sod lawns

I hydro seed a lawn last summer with out a sprinkler and it did ok looks really nice this spring nice and thick all turf fescue

Where I live maybe 5% of all the lawns in my town has a Sprinkler system rest is non.
I have never had a problem growing grass and have a healthy lawns.
Non Sprinkler lawns Grass roots goes deep.
In a Sprinkler lawn roots never goes down they stay close to the surface
A lawn that has a sprinkler system cant live with out it period.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can get grass to grow without irrigation... in fact most of what I'd done involved no irrigation... my comment had to do with neglect during a drought... the idea of putting down sod for someone who will neglect it it(as in Riggle's exa.) is definately going to be a waste of money in the Spring of the year...

I would not be involved in putting down sod onto large areas and expected that the customer is going to treat it right with hoses...
Look at the CONTEXT of the conversation and notice the comments were directed at sod and h.o.s that didn't care for the turf,,, [b]hence the use of Riggle's exa...)
I never use straw anymore becuz it ends up with lots of barespots... it is useful on hills to prevent current from forming, but a well conditioned seed bed, correctly soaked and maintained with proper moisture/air ratio...

Notice the change in CONTEXT between sod and seedbeds??? when telling me I'm a poor landscaper it is SMART to be able to make your claims make sense...
Old 04-20-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
In a Sprinkler lawn roots never goes down they stay close to the surface
In a lawn where the irrigation is incorrectly managed, the roots will generally be close to the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
A lawn that has a sprinkler system cant live with out it period.
Assuming you live in a region that requires supplemental water inputs to keep turf alive.