Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You should never put an automotive tire on a tandem axle trailer. Trailer tires are designed to withstand twisting forces that auto tires are not designed for.

I'm speaking purely from experience.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 03-31-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colaguy View Post
I'm speaking purely from experience.
So what is there about a trailer tire that would make it better than a car tire? I have never had a car tire blow on a trailer and the tread certainly last as long.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I ran the Towmasters 10 ply radials last time and they lasted me about 20k miles. The rears are the first to go on my Tandem so rotating them front to back will help some. Make sure you run your trailer as level as possible or down slightly in front when loaded. That will take some of the load off of the rear tires so to speak and make them not scrub off so much tread when turning. I just bought a set of Carlise 10 plys this time for a Benjamin each at Discount tire so I will have more info later. My new enclosed trailer will have a spread axle set up and I am affraid that will eat some tires up. I now try not to make any sharp turns if I can help it.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As others have mentioned, be sure that your shackles and spring bushings are tight. If not, the axle will move around, which causes wonky tire alignment. Also, be sure you're pulling level, to ensure proper load distribution.

Never use a passenger tire on a trailer. They are not designed for the side-loading a trailer puts on them. Trailer tires are designed with a stiffer sidewall to aid stability and they have a harder compound to resist scuffing. Also, go with a radial.

You don't want to move to a 225, when your rim width is setup for a 205. I realize that 1/2" of rim width doesn't seem like much. But, a narrower rim pulls in the beads and bulges the sidewalls, which is less stable than a tire that is properly sized for the rim.

Moving up to a higher load range tire means being able to run higher pressures. Be sure to upgrade your valve stems to the correct psi-rated models.

I follow a drag race forum and the trailer threads there. Everyone seems to recommend Maxxis trailer tires. It seems that nearly all trailer tires are made in China (Goodyear, Carlisle, etc), these days. Many have been having blowouts, within a 1K miles on some brands. Keep in mind, most of these guys speed, run overloaded, etc. They're going to be the extreme end of usage. However, based on all their experiences, I can't help but recommend the Maxxis trailer tires. They offer a "D" load range in your original 205 width.

http://www.maxxis.com/Industrial/Tra...ST-Radial.aspx
Old 06-17-2013, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been running Duro DS2100 for two seasons on my 20ft utility trailer (225-75-15) and have been very pleased with them so far. I also replaced one of four Goodyear Marathons that separated and blew out on my boat trailer last summer with a Duro (205-75-14) that also seems to be holding up great. I have been loyal to Marathons for my boat trailer in the past but the Duros are really impressive for the price so far on both applichttp://www.durotire.com/Tires/tabid/186/categoryid/17/Default.aspxations.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
So what is there about a trailer tire that would make it better than a car tire? I have never had a car tire blow on a trailer and the tread certainly last as long.
I ran 4 ply and 6 ply car tires on my single axle 6 by 12 foot trailer all the time and never had any problems other than flats but I never really loaded that trailer to its max like I sometimes do on my current tandem axle trailer. For it I will stick to at least 10 ply trailer tires for those days when I have my trailer loaded to the max and then some. I tried to save money back in the day and use the car tires on my tandem for several years and had hell with blow outs and flats and tires just coming off of the rim. Most of those tires were 4 and 6 plys though. I really do not have any experience running 10 ply vehicle tires on my trailer and I do wonder how they might hold up. I will never run a car tire again but I may experiment with a good 10 ply truck tire set up one day. Around here I see guys running their tandems with the tongue way too high so that the rear tire is taking most of the weight and I bet they go thru rear tires like crazy. They do it with their goose necks too. Put that ole trailer in a jacked up 4 by 4 truck to where the back of the trailer barely clears the ground.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemony Snicket View Post
I will never run a car tire again but I may experiment with a good 10 ply truck tire set up one day.
You don't say what rim diameter you have, but, some of the drag race guys are moving up to 16" rims, so that they can run the LT commercial tires. Many are running Michelin XPS rib or Bridgestone Duravis.

Michelin XPS:
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...b/tire-details

Bridgestone Duravis R250:
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/duravis-r250

Bridgestone R187:
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/r187
Old 06-18-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have (5) trailers with 15" rims. All my tires are205/235 SUV/truck radial type. I included a link on first page, to the best lowest priced heavyduty tire I could find. I have to order online but Walmart ships to store for free. I'm slowly weaning out the org 205 trailer tires that came with trailers.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-W...Specifications

I believe I'll get 5+ yrs out of these tires.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair

Last edited by Colaguy; 06-18-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-18-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colaguy View Post
I have (5) trailers with 15" rims. All my tires are205/235 SUV/truck radial type. I included a link on first page, to the best lowest priced heavyduty tire I could find. I have to order online but Walmart ships to store for free. I'm slowly weaning out the org 205 trailer tires that came with trailers.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-W...Specifications

I believe I'll get 5+ yrs out of these tires.
I just go up to my used tire place and pick out 4 barley used suv tires for $25 a piece. I got 15k on the rears. I burned through a set of regular trailer tires in 3 months before.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2013, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Im running 15 inch on my open tandem trailer. My new ATC enclosed trailer has 16 inch wheels but I do not know which tires it has because I am waiting on ATC to deliver it to me.
Posted via Mobile Device