Register free!

Old 04-02-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

It is a good little get up.

We have had the RC/PT series in one form or another for 10 years now. The new one we got that lifts higher is quite nice....the old one would struggle to load a full size dump sometimes. The build quality has improved greatly but still not that of the big machines it would seem. oh well. These loaders will run circles around any of the walk behind/stand on things any day all day. You get what you pay for.

The little mini skid deals are ok but are basically just a tool carrier/power wheelbarrow. I find you can't really lay down a decent grade with one, can't cut, scary on hills, etc etc.

I like the takeuchi pretty well, has a little hydro thumb which is crude but works well enough, has a pin grabber with a 9", 18" and 30" grading bucket. Has been a good machine and fairly trouble free, don't think it has required more than a few hoses etc. Everyone preaches zero tail swing but I find the full tail helps with stability A LOT in the small size. I don't know that I've ever not been able to complete a job because it wasn't zero swing. It's mainly just the small width to get into the place.

easy to move and some of the less experienced guys can't get into much trouble with the little guys. it's beautiful rarely using a wheelbarrow or shovel
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowellreid View Post
It is a good little get up.

We have had the RC/PT series in one form or another for 10 years now. The new one we got that lifts higher is quite nice....the old one would struggle to load a full size dump sometimes. The build quality has improved greatly but still not that of the big machines it would seem. oh well. These loaders will run circles around any of the walk behind/stand on things any day all day. You get what you pay for.

The little mini skid deals are ok but are basically just a tool carrier/power wheelbarrow. I find you can't really lay down a decent grade with one, can't cut, scary on hills, etc etc.

I like the takeuchi pretty well, has a little hydro thumb which is crude but works well enough, has a pin grabber with a 9", 18" and 30" grading bucket. Has been a good machine and fairly trouble free, don't think it has required more than a few hoses etc. Everyone preaches zero tail swing but I find the full tail helps with stability A LOT in the small size. I don't know that I've ever not been able to complete a job because it wasn't zero swing. It's mainly just the small width to get into the place.

easy to move and some of the less experienced guys can't get into much trouble with the little guys. it's beautiful rarely using a wheelbarrow or shovel
How does the PT30 compare to a standon loader like the sk750 or boxer 532?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I love the idea of the pt30. I just looked up their dealers and theres one -5 mins away so I'm going to try and get one for a job next week. I've demo-ed the tb016 and its a great digger but lacks root/stump/lift power. But i understand its a limitation of size. I will agree that the dingos etc can't compete
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It seems like you were doing some good sized jobs there for a while. Personally if you got the space keep your dump trailer. Get the box truck and use that for mowing, med duty jobs. Maybe a boxer or dingo would suit your needs better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2013, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have experince removing shrubs with a compact ride-on skid steer? Enough power to lift?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I still think a stand on is the better way to go. Reason being is that you don't loose the labor of the operator.

Grading on a stand on machine doesn't seem to be an issue either, or at least with my. Vermeer and the pilot controls.

Love the backhoe attachment for my machine. That's the best way to rip out shrubs.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

If the equipment you currently have is paid off, why not just get the rig that you need for the smaller jobs as well. I've learned to never say never. Most of our clients seek us out and we work for small lot homeowners but also do master plans/installs for homeowners with acres of land. I think flexibility is key to efficiency. Currently, we run a kubota l3410 tractor with front loader and grader box, bobcat mt55, kubota k008-3 compact excavator, and a kubota kx 71-3 excavator. If you gear up to enter a very narrow niche market, and the market changes, you're behind in the game. I don't use every piece of equipment on every job, but I don't have to rent and I use all of them enough to pay the notes and make some money on the newer ones.

Just food for thought. Not all of my trucks roll out every day, but I am ready to handle whoever calls.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Ok so i may just be rambling here. Going into my 8th season. Ive always thought that having the biggest equipment (full size skidsteer, gooseneck dump trailer etc. ) after looking back over the past two seasons of being fulltime, ive noticed my self doing more hand work(wheel barrow etc) due to my machine being too big for the averge landscape install we do. Take my latest install. Had to shovel/wheel barrow soil into the beds becuz my wheeled skid would have done more damage than good and would have to make 4trips to switch out trailers etc. i added up rental fees for the last two years for a mini skid and i could have bought a used one already. So ive been thinking of ways to minimize time lost due to making extra trips, and time spent doing extra "hand labor".

This is what im contemplating. Focusing on lawn/landscape maintenance and smaller installs. I really want to get a box truck for a dedicated mowing rig .
Sell my big 18' dump trailer and my mustang skidsteer.
Use the money from them to buy the used boxtruck ive got my eye on and the find a used mini skid for $10k or so. Maybe even a smaller bumperpull dump trailer.

I have my enclosed trailer to haul plants/ mini skid. Keeping my gooseneck deckover to haul my tractor.

Ok my ramble is over.
Posted via Mobile Device
Also keep in mind hurricane season is near, and that big equipment will come in handy if a storm comes again. But you'll never know around here.
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
7x14 OPEN TRAILER
5x10 OPEN TRAILER
36" HUSTLER ZTR
48" SCAG ZTR
61" SCAG TT ZTR
1 SRM 266T ECHO TRIMMER
1 SRM 2601 ECHO TRIMMER
1 PE 200 ECHO STICK EDGER
1 PB 770H ECHO BLOWER
1 PB 413H ECHO BLOWER
2 21" SNAPPER WALK BEHIND
1 22" TORO WALK BEHIND
1 ECHO SHC 225S HEDGE TRIMMER
1 ECHO CHAINSAW
Old 05-11-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm looking to sell one of my sk650s in order to get the sk755. I'm asking 10k for the unit, combo bucket and forks. great unit and regardless what you do get the biggest mini skid you can afford.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonV View Post
I'm looking to sell one of my sk650s in order to get the sk755. I'm asking 10k for the unit, combo bucket and forks. great unit and regardless what you do get the biggest mini skid you can afford.
if that's 1000hrs or less that's not a bad deal. I paid 7k for both of my 650s with ~700hrs, but everyone can't be a deal hound like me.