Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Honda GXV620 engine - seized bolt

I have the Honda GXV620 engine on a Hustler Fastrak mower. The fuel filter lives behind the air filter on that engine, and after taking off the air filter housing and filter, there are two bolts at the top of the plastic casing which need to be removed before the casing can be removed to show the fuel filter. The bolts aren't big - but the nut of the bolt is a square nut held in place in the plastic casing for the engine - ie the top plate with the fan grille etc.

For some reason, one of those bolts has seized up and when I try to undo the bolt, the nut starts to strain against the sides of its plastic holder and if I put more pressure on, it simply rotates round, forcing its way inside its holder.

So, I thought I would put some metal strips down the sides of the square nut - I got an old saw blade down one side, but all that happens is that the pressure of turning the bolt makes the plastic strain outwards even more with no sign of the bolt coming free. So, I tried using a clamp across the top of the engine casing to hold the plastic in, but no luck with that. I've put WD40 on the nut to help loosen it.

So, at the moment, I am stuck.

Any thoughts?

Steve
Old 03-30-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Steve, Can you post a pic of this bolt and base assembly ?

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Good idea = will post one in a short while!

Steve
Old 03-30-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Here are the images:

This is the overall view with the two square nuts at top left and right

This is the problem nut. I've stuck a small saw blade down the left hand side of it to try to stop it twisting

This is the bolt head

This is the nut that I can undo OK - it twists a little bit, but the bolt still comes undone

Steve
Old 03-30-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OK Steve,

Now I haven't had the need to try this but I read if you light a candle and let the hot wax drip on a bolt, The wax will seep into the threads and free the bolt. In your case let it drip on the end of the nut and see what happens.....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I suggest...jam a screwdriver instead of a saw blade down into the cavity. Use several screw drivers if you can. Get it jammed in there tight. You might also try shoving a dime or penny or washer or some additional kind of spacer to hold it tight. Turn it to the right a tiny bit to see if that loosens it. Then left.

If you have to...drill a hole in the funny nut, and put a pin in it, or two. Grip pins with vise locks.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Never heard the one about the wax. Maybe that would work.

I had thought about drilling into the nut and then using progressively bigger drills until I can split open the nut and get the bolt out that way. I am sure I can then find another square nut to replace it with.

Also, I thought I should try to get something down the right hand side of the nut - there is a lot more plastic on that side and maybe this would hold better. I will try that in the morning.

Steve
Old 03-30-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And of coarse..... Once you get to that fuel filter you will get some more fuel hose and move it from behind there right ?

Old 03-31-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ah nvm i c u got it.

This edit after the fact.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys - success!

The idea that worked was to drill a small hole in the center of the square nut, and then use progressively bigger drills to get to 1/8. I then reversed the drill bit and put it in the hole, held it with a hand vise and simply undid the bolt. I noticed I had drilled a bit into the bolt, and so I'm not really sure if it was the drilling that freed it up, or the ability to hold the nut tightly, but either way, it worked.

Now I have a nice hole to put oil into the threads if I have any future issues!

Steve

Tags
bolt , filter , fuel , gxv620 , honda