Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2013, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Horrible experience at Hustler dealer?!

Just looking for some experiences here. I am pretty well narrowed down to getting a Hustler Raptor or a Bad Boy MZ. I have one of each that is somewhat close to where I live (within an hour or so).

I went to the dealer in my area that is available for Hustler mowers. I went thinking it might be like going to buy a car, but boy was I wrong. When I walked in a grease monkey came up to the front counter and asked if he could help me. I told him I was thinking about getting a Hustler mower and wanted some help. He got real nervous and told me he'd get someone else to help me. Another grease monkey, that was more nervous, came up next to help me and he couldn't provide me with any information really at all. He took out a big three ring binder and pointed to the cost of a 42" and 52" (both of which were $100 more than I expected) and that was it. He said he'd never seen a raptor before because it was new, the store only had one Hustler in it, which might have been a stand on, but I didn't see where you'd stand on it.

I may have just been expecting something that didn't exist, but I drove 45 minutes to the dealer expecting I'd get a color brochure and be able to sit on a Hustler ztr even if it wasn't a raptor and someone would be able to sell me on it and point up some reasons to buy it etc. This guy said I could maybe find some information on the internet. I get the impression from the many helpful people that have helped me get this far in my decision that this is not normal procedure for getting a mower, so now I'm very discouraged in Hustler because this guy basically said he'd order one and then he'd be able to fix it if there was a problem. I shied away from Bad Boy because everyone told me their service was bad, but I don't think there was ANY service with the Hustler dealer.

Am I way off here in my expectations?

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

well that's not normal but not so much a bad thing. i hate salesmen. they rarely know much about anything either. the way to buy something is research it for yourself and decide first before you ever go looking to buy one. you can find out more online about a product than you can from any salesmen in the world.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Often the repair guy back in the shop is the one that knows the most about products. And you are expecting too much these days you can get on internet and read everything there is on a product including negative stuff.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

disappointing

Well that's all disappointing for someone looking for his first ztr to mow his lawn.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

if you go to see the bad boy mowers you CAN TEST DRIVE THEM!
2-21' mowers
4-gas trimmers
4-gas blowers
3-back pack blowers
6x14 trailer/dovetail
7x18 open trailer / car
04 ford f-250 crew 4x4
2013 ford f-150 crew 4x4
Old 03-30-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone simmer down now.
But seriously if the dealer only had 1 mower and neither mechanic could tell you anything about the mower you were interested in , you probably shouldn't do business there.
Service and parts availability are as important as the mower itself in my opinion . Good luck with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Step up to a Fastrac. That little one looks like a complete and udder waste of time. How big is your lawn? I'd buy a 30" Exmark walk behind before I'd buy that Hustler.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 03-30-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If a dealer was 45 minutes away and I never was there I would have called first to ask what they have in stock that I could see before wasting my time. Just because they are a dealer for something doesn't mean that they have it in stock. I have two dealers here that handle all the major brands and have quite a bit of inventory yet several times they didn't have what I was looking for. They said just tell them what I want and they will order it. They can't stock everything.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The same thing happen to me I was look for a Hustler (was never again ) I put in my zip in the Find a Dealer the fist 3 was farmers co-op . So I drive 30 miles I see the place and do not even stop it looks bad and I see no ZT at all so keep on going .You need to call first to see what they have.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I noticed you said you're shying away from Bad Boy due to customer service... Yep, been there done that! They got my $5000 and I got headaches every mowing season since... (dealing with spindle issues as we speak!) I also tried calling a local dealer to get a bolt-on trailer hitch for mine, and when I tried giving them my CC # to order it, I was told I'd have to come in to their store (a 45 min. drive) and pay for it in person before they'd put it on order... No thanks.