Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-31-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by sulky. That might make more sense if I did, but walk behind and two and a half acres doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I don't feel like I know enough about used mowers to go that route. My last two crappy mowers have been hand me downs (one from craigslist that my wife blew up, and the other from a 'friend').

I don't doubt your advice and maybe that's what I'll end up doing, but it's completely opposite from all of the other advice I've received in the forums trying to pick out a mower.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcrappymower View Post
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by sulky. That might make more sense if I did, but walk behind and two and a half acres doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I don't feel like I know enough about used mowers to go that route. My last two crappy mowers have been hand me downs (one from craigslist that my wife blew up, and the other from a 'friend').

I don't doubt your advice and maybe that's what I'll end up doing, but it's completely opposite from all of the other advice I've received in the forums trying to pick out a mower.
The sulky is the attachment with wheels that you ride on. I have used a walk behind with sulky to mow 4 acres without a prob. Hell I mow 5 acre lots on my vride standing up and have no prob or fatigue. Riding killed my back. Do whatever you want.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
A sulky is a wheel that you stand on that is attached to a walk behind mower. Google sulky and you'll get the idea. If you put a sulky behind a commercial walk behind... in the hands of someone experienced... it will mow circles around a home owner grade zero. Just eat... it... up.

Quote:
For a walk behind, all you need to know is brand (Exmark), type (ultra cut), model (Viking, Turf Tracer, or Metro if you can't afford Viking, Turf Tracer). That's pro grade. Throw a sulky on it and go. Don't know if the wife will be able to handle that sulky behind the walk behind, though. LOL!

Quote:
Sorry. Maybe, I'm just a dumb a$$.

Seriously, if you've got to have a zero for 3k, you might as well head to Lowes or Home Depot. You can find commercial zeros for 3k but they'll have over 2000 hours and will nickel and dime you to death.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyflyboy30 View Post
.... industry leading three-year warranty* and unmatched customer care"

It sounds like his customer care was unmatched. "Unmatched" may be a positive, or a negative characteristic.

I agree with the suggestion of others regarding a used commercial machine. We don't know your terrain, only area. The suggestion of a sulky is a good one.

Many years ago, I used my 36" Exmark, with a one-wheeled sulky, to mow three acres, weekly cuts. The task required about three hours. For my commercial interests, this was not a good fit, and I moved away. For your case, a 48" or 52" walk-behind with a sulky (two wheeled model) would work well -- unless there is something unusual about your property.

To answer the question: Yes, you expected too much from the dealer. Buying a mower is not like buying a car. Do all your homework online with regard to specifications and features. Then go to the dealer, and confirm your understandings from the research.

Real lost of threads on LS, and understand the brands that are standouts -- Exmark, Scag, Toro, Ferris, John Deere, etc. For your limited usage, any of these major brands will work for you. If you aren't a "spec" buyer, then buy a major brand of used walk-behind, and be confident it will work for you. In the "For Sale" section of LS, I have seen some great buys on machines that are far from worn out.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
forget hustler man. go buy a husqvarna rz5426. they cost $3000 brand new. they sale them at lowes or other places like ace hardware or a husqvarna dealer.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_372783-63311...roduct_price|1

This is the one it is $3200 plus TAX.
It is a good one.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks like a good mower I guess.

Any thoughts on Kohler. Everything I had looked at so far was get a kawi instead of a b and s but I haven't run into kohler yet. I was thinking about 42" so I wonder if there is any 42" for a similar price that might offer even more with a smaller deck? I'd better start checking out the lowe's site.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Home Depot would be a lot closer to me (in case of repairs etc.) so I'm wondering if you would rate any of these a comparable then?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Time...f#.UVjk0ESEdF8

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cadet...f#.UVjkq0SEdF8
Old 03-31-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

You know, it looks like for $200 bucks on the husq, bigger deck, bigger engine, better warranty. Lowes isn't that I guess. Within half an hour, just not fifteen minutes.

You are beginning to persuade me. Now to measure the gates in my backyard to see if I can fit the width of this through there. Never considered a deck this big before.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

My advice, never buy from box store, find mower you like then do dealer locator and drive to the dealer buy same machine. They will be your service and parts, might not even look at your mower if you buy from box store. I have heard many box store nightmares.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

AHHHHHHHHHHH! Retro, you convinced me to get a Hustler Raptor and these guys on this forum just convinced me not to! Brain overload!