Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't see any Husq dealers around me (Hudson, WI) just what appear to be authorized repair shops, which seems to be mostly what I find in my area, which is fairly rural, which makes me think someone ought to be a damn lawnmower sales person!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

http://www.lowes.com/LowesProductCom...3Dhusqvarna%23!

Smaller mower weighs more, is slightly longer and has the same width??? Am I reading incorrectly?
Old 03-31-2013, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcrappymower View Post
http://www.lowes.com/LowesProductCom...3Dhusqvarna%23!

Smaller mower weighs more, is slightly longer and has the same width??? Am I reading incorrectly?
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products...specifications

Sorry Lowe's is off.

580 lbs ZR4623 Base machine, length 75 inch

640 lbs ZR 5426 Base machine, length 75 inch

Last edited by crazyflyboy30; 03-31-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Hustler raptor 52" still under the husq price with a fab deck not stamped deck and the kawi engine retro?
Old 03-31-2013, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Hustler raptor 52" still under the husq price with a fab deck not stamped deck and the kawi engine retro?
Hustler raptor 52 is the one to get if you can find one.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

?!

Crazy! I feel like you are the one who has been taking digs at Hustler? Now that's the one to get?
Old 04-01-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Crazy! I feel like you are the one who has been taking digs at Hustler? Now that's the one to get?
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...Hustler+Raptor

Look post 9 "Hustler is the one I would go with .
What is the price? "

Look post 11 "Hustler is it then. "

I like Hustler but there dealers need some help .
The Hustler dealers I have been too do not have a ZT mowers so what good is that.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't get caught up in the fabbed deck vs stamped deck BS, cause that's exactly what it is. I have owned nothing but stamped decks on my machines. I have one now that is 23 years old and still going strong, and it has been used...A LOT.

This is a lawn forum so everyone says get a zero turn. Outside of mowing for their job, many guys here have no experience mowing on any other type of machine. For homeowner use a good medium to heavy duty garden tractor would be far better than any of the entry level Z's you are looking at, and a good used one can be had for the money you have to spend. I have seen several JD garden tractors on CL here recently that would be far stronger and give a better cut than any of those entry level Z's for right around $3K. Just as fast too. Many have power steering and all have hydro transmissions with side by side hydro pedals. You can make a 3 pt turn on one of them as fast as you can a Z. I know, I've owned several of them as well as Z's. I'm not talking about one of the cheap big box store machines either. I'm talking about a JD 325/335/345 series machine with 48" or 54" decks, or even the newer 300X series machines for that matter. You can use it for lots of other stuff around your place too, like snow removal.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Member

So now I should get a tractor?! I am just laughing here. I am so much more confused than when I started on this site. I should get a zero turn, but a not from a box store, but from a box store, but get hustler, but not hustler, but exmark, but never exmark, get a stand behind, get new, get used, stamped deck matters, stamped deck doesn't matter, kohler, kawi, never b and s, b and s is fine,... I think I've let myself get pulled in too many directions because I really am so new to this. I was hoping there would be more direction as to 'right', but I think there is too much subjective to a decision like getting a new mower (am I right about that?).

So, if I am going to buy new (I don't feel I know enough to know good used from bad used) and if I am going to get a zero turn (I know a tractor probably does make more sense for my yard, but a zero turn looks more fun than a tractor and that's important to me as I like to mow)...

-Do I buy from a box store? (Problem is I don't feel there is much for local dealers if I want to get a huster, example can't find anyone that carries husq, just service shops that can probably order me one)
-Does a fabbed deck or frame make any real difference for my situation (mowing my own lawn only)?
-B and S, Kohler, Kawi
-Any other detail that should influence my decision for a NEW, ZERO TURN for my situation to pick one model from another?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Take the advice, don't take the advice. I am not trying to sell you on my brand or any brand. Buy whichever floats your boat. I simply gave you some sound advice not based on any bias towards any brand or type of mower, and it was based on a lifetime of mowing experience with different types of machines.

I seriously doubt you like to mow any more than I do, even after all these years, but fun is only fun if things are going right. For $3K you aren't going to buy all that great a machine these days, no matter who makes it. Don't forget that fun on a Z is only fun for half a year. You can have fun on a garden tractor year round. If you mowed for a living I would have said get the Z, but you are a homeowner, so the Z doesn't have any real added value.

How much time have you spent on a Z? They aren't like driving a tractor or car. They take getting used to, and more so if you value the look of your lawn. Few people who mow on a Z actually do zero turns on one, and for good reason. A zero turn (the actual turn, not just the machine) will tear turf easily and you'll end up with bald spots all over your yard where the inside tire scuffs the grass. You won't do that, or have to worry about it on a tractor.

I was just trying to offer you a sound alternative to all the advice you had received so far. Maybe you don't actually want any advice, but are looking for someone to bolster your desire to get a Hustler Raptor. If that's the machine you really want, go for it.

As for the fabbed deck, that's a load of crap. There is no deck out there that cuts better than the Deere 7 Iron under any and all conditions. It is stamped 7 gauge steel. The Scag V+ is right there with it, but it is a fabbed deck design. Hustler makes fabbed decks, but hasn't made a decent cutting deck in years (if ever) so they have no room to brag about anything. Take a look for threads here about their latest and greatest VX4 deck and see what folks have to say about their deck.

Buy from a big box store, and then when you need service, see how long they make you wait at the dealership you passed over when buying you mower.