Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcrappymower View Post
So now I should get a tractor?! I am just laughing here. I am so much more confused than when I started on this site. I should get a zero turn, but a not from a box store, but from a box store, but get hustler, but not hustler, but exmark, but never exmark, get a stand behind, get new, get used, stamped deck matters, stamped deck doesn't matter, kohler, kawi, never b and s, b and s is fine,... I think I've let myself get pulled in too many directions because I really am so new to this. I was hoping there would be more direction as to 'right', but I think there is too much subjective to a decision like getting a new mower (am I right about that?).

So, if I am going to buy new (I don't feel I know enough to know good used from bad used) and if I am going to get a zero turn (I know a tractor probably does make more sense for my yard, but a zero turn looks more fun than a tractor and that's important to me as I like to mow)...

-Do I buy from a box store? (Problem is I don't feel there is much for local dealers if I want to get a huster, example can't find anyone that carries husq, just service shops that can probably order me one)
-Does a fabbed deck or frame make any real difference for my situation (mowing my own lawn only)?
-B and S, Kohler, Kawi
-Any other detail that should influence my decision for a NEW, ZERO TURN for my situation to pick one model from another?
Please dont make this harder than it has to be. You had a list of homeowner mowers of which all would suit you well. Simply cross off the Hustler from your list due to a crappy dealer and move to the next one. In fact check them all out and feel out the dealers as well. Any of the mowers on your list will last you many many years as a homeowner. Check out the Gravely next...hint hint.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Don't get caught up in the fabbed deck vs stamped deck BS, cause that's exactly what it is. ...... I'm talking about a JD 325/335/345 series machine with 48" or 54" decks, or even the newer 300X series machines for that matter. You can use it for lots of other stuff around your place too, like snow removal.
Since you seem to have discarded any posts about a walk-behind with a sulky, I think we can assume you wish to sit, not walk or stand. Fair assumption?

Also, we still haven't heard anything about your property, such as terrain, slopes, obstacles, etc. We have seen no pics, so are not able to understand your needs very well.

Ridin' gives some good advice here. Yes, the fab vs. stamped deck can be a red-herring in the discussion for a home-owner use. I too use a 7-Iron JD deck on my ZTR -- outstanding deck, and stamped.

But, he has good points regarding a upper-level tractor. No, we aren't talking about the box store JD products, rather the model lines he suggests. You can buy a great JD tractor, with mowing deck, sit down while mowing, and use it for many other tasks around your property. If you have that kind of acreage, undoubtedly there are many other tasks needed for maintenance. Buy a small trailer, snow plow, and other attachments, and you have a versatile machine. It would probably do a comparable mowing job as the box-store ZTR. But, it may not manage slopes. We don't know if this is even a consideration, however.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My advice is to take that $3000 and hire a local LCO to do your lawn for a few years.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-01-2013, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Very little slope in the front yard. Mostly treeless and flat. There is a noticeable incline in the front, but it's over about...maybe eight feet and my two previous tractors were able to handle it without issue. Slope angle is just enough that I can run my tractor across it, but probably shouldn't.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
My advice is to take that $3000 and hire a local LCO to do your lawn for a few years.
I think he said it's 2 1/2 acres so... that 3k may cover a year.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I too would jump on the band wagon with buying from a power equipment dealer and not a box store. You feel like you're on a island all alone when that Box store product breaks. Was the dealer you went to short some personal and the mechanics were just trying to fill in? I agree with the one post about asking the wrench on the construction and durability of the machine. For the value I like the Raptor. Very little plastic on the machine and the power plant is proven to be strong. Don't sell short the fact the Hustler is family owed. Some of the lines that were talked about is all corporate and try to keep the stock holders happy. There's a person on the top at Hustler you can talk to.

TTGS
Old 04-08-2013, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Found a different dealer

I found a different dealer that's closer to fifty minutes away instead of thirty five, but they returned phone calls and e-mails right away and are a family owned dealer. I am going to try to get down there tonight to get a 52" Raptor. Doesn't seem like anything else is equal for less than 3k.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Hopefully a picture of the new mower.

Name:  taking it home.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  62.6 KB

Hopefully this attaches the photo of my decision.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Enjoy the new rig.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have sold like 30 raptors, even have a guy mowing 30 yards a week on one, so far so good...lol
Posted via Mobile Device