Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2014, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Zero Turn Advice

Hey guys, currently I am cutting five acres with my Mitsubishi D2350 tractor pulling a Caroni 59 inch finishing mower. It takes me about 3 to 4 hours to mow, plus trimming and cleanup 5 to 6 hours!. I have a good bit of trees, a big driveway, and an 1.5 acre pond to maneuver around. One of the biggest pains in the neck is having to stop and change gears so many times and reversing. I don't have a live pto so I have to come to a complete stop when I move to different areas of the yard. My tractor is murder on my back, not to mention the constant breakdowns and repairs to an aging piece of equipment. My yard is mostly flat but rough in certain spots, and a pretty decent slope around the pond. I'm curious if a commercial zero turn would be faster and easier. Hustler, exmark, dixie chopper, bad boy, Ferris, and scag are all sold here, and they all offer a commercial 60 inch mower for around 8000 to 10,000. They all have Kawasaki options, which I like. I'm sure I could get the hang of operating the mower, but is it my best option? Any opinions are welcome. My little tractor is a work horse, but I only use it for mowing. I have a 4x4 truck and a four wheeler for other yard projects. The thing that takes me the longest is cutting in first gear around the trees and driveways. From what I can tell, Bad Boy offers their top end model (Outlaw XP) for only 8500. Comments? Thanks
Old 08-26-2014, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A zero turn would run circles around your tractor. I would look used tho. 8000 for a personal mower is a tad steep imo
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2014, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well price is up to you on how much you want to soend, you could get that cut in a couple hours with a 60 z. Check out the Ferris IS mowers. For example the ferris is2000. Or the 2100z. The ride is awesome on them. IS2000 runs about 10k but maybe you can work out a deal. Maybe you could get a good deal on a demo. And speaking of that, demo a few different ones and find one that you like best. I spend 10 hours a week riding a ferris is2000 and it is a quality mower.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You will want something with a type of suspensioning as well.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I went with a Scag Cheetah for my last mower. Comfort is great because of the suspension plat form. 31hp kawi has a lot of power, and mow 8 acres in 3.5 hrs. Any commercial grade mower with a suspension seat should serve your needs. Demo some and see what you think
Old 08-27-2014, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are reversing and maneuvering that much, it must be an obstacle course. A front mount Grasshopper is really maneuverable around obstacles. Add one of the common suspension seats available these days and it should be comfortable.

I went from a mid mount Bad Boy to a front mount Grasshopper and the comfort and maneuverability is far superior with the Grasshopper and it doesn't even have a special seat. In fact the Bad Boy had a suspension seat and the Grasshopper doesn't and it is still more comfortable. On a front mount Grasshopper you are directly over the drive wheels with casters in the front AND the rear.

For comfort, the Ferris with the suspension would most definitely worth demoing over your rough ground.

Also, there are plenty of suspension seats of all types that could be fitted to your existing tractor.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

By the way, for that kind of mowing, I would want a 72"deck.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=ztman;5100149]I went with a Scag Cheetah for my last mower. Comfort is great because of the suspension plat form. 31hp kawi has a lot of power, and mow 8 acres in 3.5 hrs. Any commercial grade mower with a suspension seat should serve your needs. Demo some and see what you . Looked at the hustlers and scags today. I think the hustlers were more expensive. The entry commercial hustler, the x one I was nearly 10 grand, while the scag commercial tiger cat with independent wheel motors were 8500.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2014, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. Today I looked at the scags, hustlers, and John Deeres. I've also looked at the exmarks and dixie choppers. late Today I'm going to look at the bad boys. So far the hustlers seem to expensive, 10 grand for the base commercial x onei. The frame is smaller and has an integrated wheel motor vs two separate. It runs 8900. The scag tiger cat however has a better seat, bigger frame and independent Parker wheel motors for 8500. Ex Mark commercial lazer z e series runs about the same price. Not impressed with the John Deere stamped decks and 9500 price tag for the 930 series. Kind of unsure about the Dixie choppers. I keep hearing mixed opinions, but the is comparable on the classic and silver eagle. The search will continue! Keep the advice coming thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure of your Hustler dealer's pricing. If he's wanting $10K for an X-ONEi, he's out of line. I gave a good bit less than that for my X-ONE, 60", Kohler EFI. The X-ONEi should be around $8K and is plenty of machine for what you're wanting to mow, especially as a homeowner. The biggest difference between those mowers is the X-ONE has the VX4 deck and the X-ONEi has what appears to be a modified XR7 deck. They definitely cut differently. As for drive systems, have a look under many other commercial offerings and you'll find integrated pumps/motors.

Don't be afraid of JD's 7-Iron deck. They're durable, have some airflow advantages, and cut well, wet or dry.

But, you need to demo all mowers you're interested in, on your property. They all cut specific grasses differently and have different ride characteristics. No one but yourself can say what appeals to you the most.

For sure, ditch the tractor. I'm guessing, you could easily do your property in under 2 hours.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer