Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-19-2015, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Another newbie what mower question

Have followed the forum for a while, and signed up today. Just got new house with a 1 acre yard and the DW has gave permission for me to get a new zero turn. Have a 12 year old Scotts 22/48 which still runs great, but always wanted a zero turn so life is short and I now have permission.

Yard is an acre, fairly flat, but do have one section with a steep angle that I will have to use a push mower on, can't even use my present rider. Most if yard is newly seeded, but back is pasture grass that has been cut down. Live in east TN, so mowing season is late March till late OCT and a finish cut or 2 in Nov. I am very particular about my yard and will mow 2 times a week.

Budget - Going to stay under $4500, and really looking to go with 0% financing offers.

ZTR wish list - New(don't want used), 60" deck, Kaw engine, 2800 hydros,

I have looked at Hustler SD, Exmark, Ferris, JD(at Lowes) so far. I am really liking the Hustler SD with 60" deck so far. Have saw at Lowes, but going to local dealer Monday to check out. I really liked the Ferris, but nothing in my price range at dealer. Exmark also didn't have in my range. The JD I saw at Lowes didn't compare to the Hustler IMO.

With my budget and wish list, what other brands should I look at?

Also on pricing at dealers. Is the price they have listed, MSRP, usually close to their bottom price, or is there a lot of mark up in MSRP? An example would be like buying an RV, usually 30% mark up in MSRP to buying price.

Hoping with the price range I am at that I can get a quality machine that will last me until my mowing days are over.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do not buy from lowes! Buy from an actual dealer! For the most part with mower pricing, what I've noticed is what the dealer lists is gonna be what you pay. No real negotiating unless you're buying a lot but then you would get fleet savings.

Bad boy is one route. I've seen the ones at tractor supply and they seem solid. Not sure how much a dealers pricing would differ. Snapper pro if you aren't set on a 60" deck because I believe 52 is the largest they offer unless you go to the 200xt. Gravely also builds a good machine and easily have the best customer service

If you want something to last you a while then I would suggest bumping up your budget. You really do get what you pay for and you don't want to cheap out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2015, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As AMC32 said, please stay away from a box store purchase and buy from a local dealer who will support you before, during and after the sale. And yes, unlike RV's, boat's, etc. what the price show is, that's what you'll likely pay.

To help yourself get more mower for $4500 I would strongly suggest you rethink your desire for a 60" deck. With an acre of grass to cut, even a 48" ZTR is going to cut your mow time in half to a third. This will give you the ability to stay with a Kawi engine (good choice IMO!) and widen your choices for brands.

As AMC said, Snapper Pro is a solid choice as is Gravely, JD, Hustler, Toro and Bad Boy. IMO, as long as you stay with a solid brand (NOT Cub Cadet, Husky, Craftsmen, etc) and focus on a solid engine (Kawi) and solid hydro's (3100's or higher) with proper care, the ZTR will last you a long time.

Visit as many local dealers as you can. What is "local" to you is entirely your call.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Broadway Power in Maryville is selling Scag freedom Z's with 48" deck for $4250, brand new.
Heck of a mower first that price.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I am going to the Hustler dealer Monday, along with a couple others if I get the time. Want to buy from a dealer if cost is the same or even close for the service aspect and I like to support the local businesses. I live outside Johnson City, so Maryville wouldn't be a bad drive if worth it. Thanks, I might check them out.

As far as the deck, I guess I was going with the bigger the better, less mowing time. Does make some sense in getting a smaller deck but getting better "parts" on the mower.

Since I work evenings, I have to mow in the morning when the grass is wet with dew, so would a smaller deck work better for this, less clogging? Would it give a smother cut, or does depend more on the mower?
Old 07-19-2015, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Prices usually dont budge, and ive been to about 4 different dealers. For 4500 ur not going to get anything special. Id say take a look at snapper s50x or a husqvarna. Buy from a dealer and make sure theyre close as its not a matter of if but when something will break/need replacing, kind of like a vehicle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2015, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I just bought the Dixie Chopper in my signature. It's got 48" fab deck, 2800 hydros and can handle the dew covered grass. I work nights at this time so I also cut damp grass. I cut Sat morning without any issues and much of my yard stays shaded for several hours during the day. I cut about two acres way easier than the JD garden tractor I just sold. This includes around trees, fence line, pole barn and a long ditch. Mine cost $4,000 out the door and delivered. I've got the Briggs engine and am impressed with it, but a Kawasaki is also available. I get a flat, even cut with really good clipping dispersal - just what I wanted out of my mower.

To get everything I was looking for at this price, I couldn't justify spending $5K or more. At 50 - 60 hrs per year, I expect the DC to last for quite a while.
McCulloch CS340
Lawn sweeper, spreader etc
Old 07-20-2015, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingman View Post
Does make some sense in getting a smaller deck but getting better "parts" on the mower.

Since I work evenings, I have to mow in the morning when the grass is wet with dew, so would a smaller deck work better for this, less clogging? Would it give a smother cut, or does depend more on the mower?
My opinion on paragraph 1 above is YES! In the long run, the better the engine and hydros, the longer the mower will last you.

One advantage of a smaller deck is that it will be less prone to scalping.

Maybe others can chime in on morning dew performance of decks in this price range.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1striper1 View Post
My opinion on paragraph 1 above is YES! In the long run, the better the engine and hydros, the longer the mower will last you.

One advantage of a smaller deck is that it will be less prone to scalping.

Maybe others can chime in on morning dew performance of decks in this price range.
Agreed, you certainly want to get the most bang for your buck. I thought I did with my purchase and staying within the budget I gave myself. While shopping around, it became obvious pretty quickly that for the average homeowner the point of diminishing returns is also reached pretty quickly with ZTR's. If 2800 hydros are good for the life of my mower then 3100, no 3400, no separate pumps and wheel motors is the ultimate; powered deck lift, 23" or 24" tires, must have 7 ga deck, etc. Pretty soon you've got a $10K, 1200 lb commercial/industrial mower. And that's fine if someone wants one and can afford it. Life's too short not to do so. I've seen this many times and not land owners with 5+ acres to cut, but with in town "normal" lots. I guess my point is that for the OP's budget of $4500, there are allot of good choices to meet his needs and that will last a long time.
McCulloch CS340
Lawn sweeper, spreader etc
Old 07-21-2015, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Last 2 days I have went to various dealers and saw Exmark, Hustler, Kubota, Toro, Bad Boy, Ferris, Snapper, Scag and JD. Now I have to decide if I want to stick to my $4500 budget, raise it a little or just say what the he$$.

Sticking to my budget, the Hustler Raptor SD with 60" deck fits, Kubota Z122E with 48" deck, Scag Freedom Z 48", and a surprise was the Snapper 550Z 52". The Snapper was impressive. It had a Briggs and Stratton Commercial Turf engine which I don't know anything about. How does it compare to the Kawi? The seat didn't set the best, probably near the bottom of the ones I tried, and didn't have arm rests. Did like it had a ROPS and 3100 hydros. The guy made a good offer, checking prices else where to confirm, but doesn't do the Snapper financing which I want.

With that said, I looked at some that would raise the budget some, and really liked the Snapper Pro's. Looked at the S125XT, Kawi with 61" ICD deck, and wow.. He made me an offer of about $1000 more than the 550Z. I liked everything about it, except the seat wasn't the most comfortable. I think what ruined me on the Snapper seats is I sat on a S150XT and the seat was like a Lazy Boy. The S125XT would raise the budget, the S150XT is the what the he$$ budget buster, $700 more than the S125XT.

Anyone have comments on the Snappers and is it worth extra money going to the Pro series?