Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2013, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Outside sales

Have a woman who ive been talking with off and on over the last 3 months about doing outside sales (door to door) for lawn programs. Curious if anyone else has this position and if so, can I call to talk about your experiences, pay, etc. Anyone else done this actual job? Not really looking for your opinion on the tactic in general if you have no experience w it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Technically, this is what Trugreen Chemlawns reps are. The job description is to canvas neighborhoods then do follow up calls although it generally degenerates into straight telemarketing, depending on the strength of the sales manager.

Pay will be relative to your market, the average sale and the profit of that average sale, so it's unlikely those outside of your competitive areas are going to have much value on specific numbers.

I have also seen neighborhood blitzes in the spring with door to door sales teams working in front of aeration and fertilization services. Those schemes are more dependent on a impulse/convenience buy, but I suppose it gives a list to continue to work afterward. Those schemes just more or less remind me of the scam travelling barn painters of the midwest.

Door to door has some unique rules, depending on the municipality or county. Be sure that you're aware of the area's rules before you step in.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenUtah View Post
Technically, this is what Trugreen Chemlawns reps are. The job description is to canvas neighborhoods then do follow up calls although it generally degenerates into straight telemarketing, depending on the strength of the sales manager.
That is where she is currently claiming to be unhappy with changes that management made this year. She claims to have sold $30k in Mar and thinks she could do $50k in April. Problem is may, june, july, aug,...
Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In that situation, remember that she is benefiting from a massive marketing push out in front of their efforts, with many branding pieces and ads hitting clients long before she makes a contact. Her total number of sales would be far off that pace without that benefit. However, if you were working full service, you price per sale would be much higher.

Since that is where she is coming from, I would have some very specific questions about the process that her branch was using, whether she was following up on called in, web or mailed in leads, the percentage of time she would spend canvassing neighborhoods each day vs calling, percentage of new customers vs resignups in her numbers, etc. Depending on those answers, the numbers may get very different for you.

In a full service situation, there shouldn't be that much of a dropoff through the summer months with addons,problem properties (that become very easy to spot and work) etc. to keep sales reps busy. If it's growing season, there's stuff to sell. The only question is if your volume and margins can justify the rep.

As far as what she'll cost, everything is negotiable. Things like a more flexible schedule or a title are often substitutes for cash, particularly if a person hates where they currently are. You'll have to have that conversation with her to see what's most important to her and how that fits with your plans.