Old 03-31-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Drift Control

Hey guys

Looking to save the grapes

I'm getting two products confused; do I need a surfactant
http://www.southernag.com/docs/labels_msds/surfact.pdf

Or a spreader sticker?
I thought a sticker was just to get the AI to stick to the target foliage better?
http://www.southernag.com/docs/labels_msds/spreader.pdf

Thanks

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 03-31-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In many cases the terms mean the same thing. However, some companies claim to be able to stick insecticides and fungicides to the plant leaf surface, in addition to spreading the liquid over the leaf surface, instead of forming big droplets.
I think a surfactant is what you want for herbicide adjuvants. Read the label and information carefully--and beware of exaggerated claims.

I tried to test weed control with and without surfactants--but its not easy. Maybe I can try again.

As a minimum dip a plastic bottle into the tank to see how well the solution clings to the plastic, before and after the surfactant is added. Better yet, dip a weed into the tank to see how well it is wetted (or not wetted if no surfactant was added).

Read whatever you can on this site--to get an idea of what others have experienced.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ght=surfactant

Last edited by RigglePLC; 03-31-2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: add link
Old 03-31-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We use a product called Bulls eye it holds the water dropletts togeather so you dont get the mist you are refuring to. You use 1 oz per 100 gal don't over do use it will make the water hard to spray. I am sure there are others out there what i don't like about others are they are a all in one product use this much for one thing than use another amount for this. This is all it does good luck with the grapes

Charles Cue
Old 03-31-2013, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys
Yes, that's what the label says Riggle for the surfactant:

Quote:
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Use this material with most herbicides in order to insure more uniform coverage by reducing the surface
tensions of spray droplets. For most herbicides, such as: 2,4-D Amine, TrimecR, Brush Killer, RewardR
(DiquatR), AsuloxR, ImageR, and others.
It just wasn't clear as to it saying "Drift control"

@ CHARLES
Hope its a good season, making sure my spray won't drift and when the grape vines start to bud we'll my 2,4D goes in the drawer. I'm more concerned about but neighbors, they have no idea what drift is, no less when to spray even round-up

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women