Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Does anyone know where I can find that shop for $150 a month?
A storage unit lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 View Post
A storage unit lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Nvr thought of that. How about only spending $300/mo on truck fuel? Yeah right! After thinking, With 90k as revenue, the owner's salary/draw will probably not be more than about 55k after taxes. But that's with not saving much profit for additional equipment that needs to be replaced a couple yrs down the road.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I fill my truck up every two weeks- ish 120.00 a fill up. As for a garage yes it is a storage unit, it's a 12x50 bay that this guy built in a small industrial complex and lots of contractors and business run out of them. It's pretty nice if you ask me for the money. Every thing I need even have a yard to run out of to drop equipment and store trucks and trailers at no additional cost. Works fine until I can buy a house a build a shop there. As for taking out for an owners draw, idk if it's right but the rest is mine it's what I get paid so I guess technically my margin is zero. IDK, I know what my expense are and am not BSing so I'm not going to call you out for what yours are. I try to keep my expenses as low as possible and run a tight route for fuel, I bet on lots of days I don't drive my truck more than 10-15 miles, total. I have a 2000 ford dump truck. 7.3 and it has been used as my main truck since 2001 ish and has under 100k miles.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLE View Post
I fill my truck up every two weeks- ish 120.00 a fill up. As for a garage yes it is a storage unit, it's a 12x50 bay that this guy built in a small industrial complex and lots of contractors and business run out of them. It's pretty nice if you ask me for the money. Every thing I need even have a yard to run out of to drop equipment and store trucks and trailers at no additional cost. Works fine until I can buy a house a build a shop there. As for taking out for an owners draw, idk if it's right but the rest is mine it's what I get paid so I guess technically my margin is zero. IDK, I know what my expense are and am not BSing so I'm not going to call you out for what yours are. I try to keep my expenses as low as possible and run a tight route for fuel, I bet on lots of days I don't drive my truck more than 10-15 miles, total. I have a 2000 ford dump truck. 7.3 and it has been used as my main truck since 2001 ish and has under 100k miles.
Well thats a good deal if you get to have a yard at no extra cost. I was reffering to those storage complexes. A storage and yard like yours runs about $600 over here in my neck of the woods.
I would stay there for a good while at that price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Those units around me are over $800 a month, and the yard is big enough for 1 truck/trailer.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I rent a storage unit for $140/mo(storage here is pricey) and I'm able to fit 5 mowers in it plus other misc. stuff. I pay $230 total per month cause I have a space for my trailer. I use my 1 car garage at home for other machines and stuff. My GL/property insurance is $50/mo so I don't think your numbers are off at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just want to get to that point of where I can turn down work that I don't want to do and have a solid dependable helper.

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
I love to see posts on many of the solo's profits. Like: Grossed $90k and profited $70K. That's one hell of a profit margin. The only solos I see making that much profit are solo drug dealers. lol.
I still have my info from all my past yr's in my Quickbooks if you'd like to see them you are welcome to do so!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
6% tax was just sales, the rest of your stuff is nickel and dimes stuff and there was a $300 misc. tag there. All the stuff you listed wouldn't come to more than a thousand bucks a year. Unless you have to replace a mower or truck or something. Point was if you run your business right you can see margins that high. I was having this talk with a guy that has employees and he was telling me what his margins were and I was shocked they were so low. He made a bit more than I did but at what cost. To get the work and support the employees he had to be leveraged on equipment and additional costs. Right now I like it that if things are slow I can make it a loooonnnggg time before worrying about things, I don't have 3k in bills a month. For now I will take the less stress factor for the extra 10k. But not ruling anything out.
What you aren't understanding is something called retained earnings of even a SOLO operator. He needs to plan to replace a truck. A mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
6% tax was just sales, the rest of your stuff is nickel and dimes stuff and there was a $300 misc. tag there. All the stuff you listed wouldn't come to more than a thousand bucks a year. Unless you have to replace a mower or truck or something. Point was if you run your business right you can see margins that high. I was having this talk with a guy that has employees and he was telling me what his margins were and I was shocked they were so low. He made a bit more than I did but at what cost. To get the work and support the employees he had to be leveraged on equipment and additional costs. Right now I like it that if things are slow I can make it a loooonnnggg time before worrying about things, I don't have 3k in bills a month. For now I will take the less stress factor for the extra 10k. But not ruling anything out.
Really? Tires on your truck, tires on trailer, pretty sure that's $1000 right there. Never mind. Hopeless
Posted via Mobile Device