Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Funny pipe funny pipe.....

So I pick up a new account on Friday. Major complaint is low pressure on a system installed last year , but they can't get intouch with installer. When I get into the basement to turn on the system I find a 3/4 inch shark bite tee to pex, ballvalve no backflow and out the wall in pex. Pex to dura manifold and one inch poly out of the box... 4 hunters per zone with 7 nozzles.... Guess what heads barely poping..... Grab gauge to see flow rate. A whopping 4 gpm at 20 psi.... There is a minor leak outside the box so we dig it up to see what's up, and we find all zones had 1 foot of one inch then all reduced down to funny pipe. So I tell them what is wrong lol not like anything is right . Long story short I tell them to get them up to code with backflow and reinstall 5 zones for $2450. The response is well that's 3 times what I paid originally, and they will try and get the original installer to fix the leak....wtf is wrong with people... Gottaa love long island....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Haha i knew this was LI for some reason.
What towns do you serve?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Northshore . Brookville to Calverton. Only south shore work is in the Hamptons but that's a long haul.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Swing pipe has notorious friction loss rates + the fittings; I'd say the system is jacked, by what you describe. 6" of swing pipe is all I permitted, except in 12" hi-pop situations.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Lol its all funny pipe. Hundreds of feet of funny pipe. 5 zone system consisting of 5 feet of 1 inch total...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtykneez View Post
Lol its all funny pipe. Hundreds of feet of funny pipe. 5 zone system consisting of 5 feet of 1 inch total...
Just for jollies,(and to help convince the client that they are screwed) browse thru any manufacturer's charts of friction loss for swing pipe and fittings. It's brutal.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtykneez View Post
Northshore . Brookville to Calverton. Only south shore work is in the Hamptons but that's a long haul.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey kneez you get out to south fork much?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

No sir , only time we are out that way is when one of our contractors or builders are doing a project out there. We are about to resume work on a project in remsenburg that we started in December. It's a sizeable job that changes daily ... It's on an 12 million dollar house ( baby stuff as far as the Hamptons are concerned I know. ) that has been going through more landscape architects then u can shake a stick at. It's amazing the owner said he only plans on being at this home around 1 to 2 months a year... Must be nice to have options like that. Since we don't have enough properties in the area to provide promt and efficient service, we are looking to hook up with a reputable company out there to provide service after our installations are completed and we satisfy our initial warranty period. Sure is nice out there... Summer traffic has to be a disaster.... I can't even imagine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

im guilty of doing this with about 4 sprays and 30 feet of funny pipe, I didnt know at the time.

But it works!!! and turf looks good

If it ever fails I'll replace it free, its worth the story lol
Old 04-07-2013, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Just for jollies,(and to help convince the client that they are screwed) browse thru any manufacturer's charts of friction loss for swing pipe and fittings. It's brutal.
I agree but to test the manuals, I installed (1) PGP with a #6 red nozzle (with screw limited radius) with 10-feet of funny pipe in my own yard. It is about 3 ft reduction in radius (vs others on the same zone with same nozzle) but for the issues on manual labor etc it was a homerun. And precip was about the same.

Would I do this for others, nope, but sometimes flow rates vs labor vs materials is your friend.