Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-01-2013, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone say other mowers with a suspension seat rides as good as a ferris, which I know isn't true becuase I have tried em, but get a Ferris with suspension seat and it CAN'T be touched for comfort. The 2000 rides good but the 3100 rides the best it has four wheel independent suspension....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I tried the 3000 series. The Dixie was a lot easier on the back
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 3000 isn't the same as the 3100... And did you try the Ferris with a suspension seat...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It was the 3100 and it had the suspension seat! Dealer let me have it for a week to demo it was a very nice mower and rode well very well actually but on really bumpy the dixie was a little softer. I liked the deck better on the ferris though!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have personally demoed the Cheetah, 3100 and 400 series. The Gravely 400 series with air seat and rubber isolated platforms was IMO the most comfortable. No vibration is felt by the operator and the air seat can be adjusted from 0-6 inches of travel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have rode air ride suspension seats my whole life in our tractors, you still get bounces around but with the suspension on the ferris you don't get bounced around as much... And I'm sure if you put the air ride seat on the ferris it would be unmatched.... Just my 2 cents.... I know the Outlaw XP with the suspension seat dosnt ride as well as a Ferris becuase I demoed one...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Just for fun I took the new exmark seat and put it on the Ferris 3100 and I wouldn't be surprised if it felt better then the ride of BMW 7 series car it was to sweet
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2013, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

My Dixie Choppers ride like a Caddy yes they have good seat but the rear tires is a key factor you want to look at.
If tire has a small side wall that mower going ride rough even with a good seat.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am in pain management with a guy who cuts grass for a living. 10hrs a day for about 15 years riding on a Z. He told me the doctor believes that years of hitting bumps and "bouncing" has caused his discs and vert. to compress.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got bad knees, bad back, and a weak mind! My SZ with suspension seat and flex forks, along with a good balance and slightly longer wheel base makes for a pretty nice ride. Much nicer than bone stock option from most other makes.

My 460 Gravely rides slightly rougher due to balance and shorter wheel base (which makes it the nicer to get into smaller/tighter areas). The air ride seat is top notch other than the arm rest being a little soft when supporting yourself getting in and out of the chair. Another item that really helps are huge rubber isolators mounted under the seat which also sucks up a lot of shock. The other pluses on the 460 is they rubber isolated the foot rest, in addition the engine cradle is mounted in rubber for less vibration. I would definitely recommend demoing a Gravely

Hustler has since come out with a HD SZ which now offers air ride seat and 26" tires in addition to flex forks. I don't know if it has rubber isolators under the seat like Gravely though. This HD may be one to look at.