Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscaperman View Post
Well he has a good reputation from his father last name (that's what tricked me plus at the time he claims he wants to do decks and patios with my business) plus my friend did the math and he lied it should be $1800 not $1600. He is crazy from what I hear from others. I don't care about the money I want to punish him but I heard I will lose in court because CT is a contract state.

My lesson to everyone, HAVE EVERYTHING WRITTEN BECAUSE WHEN IT COMES TO MONEY PEOPLE WILL GET GREEDY. DON'T DEAL WITH DRUG ADDICTS BECAUSE THEY WILL SELL THERE SOLE FOR $2.

Here is the question. What did he really do with my business name and tax ID number? He claims he used his name and social sceruity number for the $4800 but I thought it will be going into my business name.
You say in your first post the school gave him all four checks. If the checks were made payable to him, the school wont give you a 1099. They issue those based on the payables.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Small Claims

Educate yourself on small claims court rules, this is not so difficult. Soon or later this knowledge will become useful. This is how to do it:

1. Read small claims primer here: https://www.mytestify.com/small_clai...rt_primer.html
This gives general overview of the process in simple terms, I like that flow chart that explains process. That material will get you familiar with basic concepts.

2. Each state law is slightly different. So call your local court clerk and get information on how to file a claim, most of them have decent quality information packages that will help you with filing a claim in small claims court, it’s not very expensive.

3. Enjoy!
Old 04-07-2013, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seems to me that if you take him to court to "punish" him and you win and then he decides to "get even" by vandalism or even worse, it could cost you a LOT more than the $400 you say he owes you in the end. Personally, i would just let it go. It doesn't seem to be worth the time and effort to me. As a previous poster said, don't stoop to his level. Karma is a ***** and works in mysterious ways! Consider it a lesson learned and move on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2013, 03:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Reading this guys description I would stay away .Don't know if you have kids or not ,but you have too much to lose. This guy sounds like he's on the way out, with nothing to loose. I'm sure your victory in small claims court wont bother him ,with the other issues he's facing. Fight the smart fight . Your time in court will cost you and your lack of, peace of mind will cost you much more. Let the dust settle. If he's not in jail in near future ,maybe you as a concerned anonymous citizen report him to your local drug enforcement agency or dot if he's running a commercial vehicle. Since you say he works while high. Screw with him on your terms. Sounds like he will take care of himself in the end with all the issues you listed about him.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Should I bring my (partner) to small claims court?

It's people like that who give this business in general a bad reputation.... Walk away from this as a lesson learned and steer clear of losers like that ...
2012 GMC 3500HD 4x4, DMAX/Allison- 9' Mason Dump

Bobcat MT-52 mini skidsteer
Scag V-Ride 52"/26
Scag 36"/15
Bob-Cat 48"/15
Toro 36"/13
Toro 21"
LW 27HP Truck Loader
Fradan 18HP S/P Blower
Red Max Trimmers & Blowers
Stihl chainsaws

American Hauler 8 x18 Enclosed
Carry-on 6 x12 Enclosed
Starlite 6.5 x 16 Open
Bri-Mar 6 x 10 Dump
Old 04-12-2013, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Being out several hundred dollars right now is the LEAST amount this will cost you. Drop it and walk away. It simply is not worth it to pursue this any further.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 04-12-2013, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is going to cost you around $125 just to file your claim.If this guy has pending cases with a criminal court you are probably SOL. Cut your loses now. Walk away