Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #111  
Old 04-12-2013, 04:00 PM
birddseedd birddseedd is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,920
the difference is that you have a name and reputation people are willing to pay for. whereas he does not.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
wait why do you prefer Scag? I thought you owned a Bobcat that mowed the first American Colonies
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 04-12-2013, 04:03 PM
JimMarshall JimMarshall is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NW PA
Posts: 252
True. It also kills me when the little guys like that get to talking about business, and tell me what they bring in in sales in a year.... and they are not working a second job, and I am curious how they can feed their families.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 04-12-2013, 04:06 PM
birddseedd birddseedd is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,920
because they fix their own equipment. they do not buy the newest and greatest equipment. they work with what they have. it is enough to make a living. no you wont get rich, but it is a living. where as someone bigger must pay a grand a month on a building because their business is too big to work out of their homes. they run cheaper. not more profitable, just cheaper. shoot, jsut not paying workman's comp for employees they dont even have saves 4 to 5 percent of that 30.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
wait why do you prefer Scag? I thought you owned a Bobcat that mowed the first American Colonies
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 04-12-2013, 04:08 PM
JimMarshall JimMarshall is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NW PA
Posts: 252
You're telling me you can run your business, pay employees, etc and feed your family on 30K in gross sales?
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 04-12-2013, 04:10 PM
birddseedd birddseedd is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,920
someone grossing 30k does not have employees. and if they do its 100 bucks here 100 bucks there for big projects.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
wait why do you prefer Scag? I thought you owned a Bobcat that mowed the first American Colonies
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 04-12-2013, 04:11 PM
JimMarshall JimMarshall is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NW PA
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
someone grossing 30k does not have employees. and if they do its 100 bucks here 100 bucks there for big projects.
I know him and his business. He has someone that helps him every job.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 04-12-2013, 04:22 PM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
because they fix their own equipment. they do not buy the newest and greatest equipment. they work with what they have. it is enough to make a living. no you wont get rich, but it is a living. where as someone bigger must pay a grand a month on a building because their business is too big to work out of their homes. they run cheaper. not more profitable, just cheaper. shoot, jsut not paying workman's comp for employees they dont even have saves 4 to 5 percent of that 30.
The difference is all of the stuff you described adds equity to the business. The guy with all the overhead isn't getting rich either, but the day he wants to sell or retire his business is money in the bank. The employees make up that % on the volume they produce. We also fix what we can and service our equipment in house, you are right that is a big savings over sending it to a dealer.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 04-12-2013, 04:27 PM
JimMarshall JimMarshall is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NW PA
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
The difference is all of the stuff you described adds equity to the business. The guy with all the overhead isn't getting rich either, but the day he wants to sell or retire his business is money in the bank. The employees make up that % on the volume they produce. We also fix what we can and service our equipment in house, you are right that is a big savings over sending it to a dealer.
I have 2 full time mechanics in house 50 hours a week. Two sales guys, a secretary/book keeper, the overhead adds up quick, and I know that's why they can afford to do it cheaper, but it kills me because they are clueless of the kind of $$$ we are getting out of the work.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 04-12-2013, 04:33 PM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarshall View Post
I have 2 full time mechanics in house 50 hours a week. Two sales guys, a secretary/book keeper, the overhead adds up quick, and I know that's why they can afford to do it cheaper, but it kills me because they are clueless of the kind of $$$ we are getting out of the work.
The worst part is most of them are losing money and don't know it
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 04-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
The difference is all of the stuff you described adds equity to the business. The guy with all the overhead isn't getting rich either, but the day he wants to sell or retire his business is money in the bank. The employees make up that % on the volume they produce. We also fix what we can and service our equipment in house, you are right that is a big savings over sending it to a dealer.
Have you ever seen the value of a landscape business? Its enough to make you cry. Accounts are worth two months gross even under contract. Equipment is less than market value because its been used commercially. Then try to find a buyer. Nobody with enough money would buy an LCO. No bank is going to finance one either. If your smart you make as much as you can and put it into something far more profitable and stable. Its a pipedream if you think you can put 20 years into a LCO and think you will sell it for millions and retire the Hamptons at 50.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 PM.

Page generated in 0.07079 seconds with 8 queries