Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No negotiating. I recently walked away from a job and the ladies jaw dropped!! My price is my price for a reason, sorry!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had to do that. guy asked me how much it cost me for the grub ex for a grub treatment. i told him 52 dollars. he asked me if i would do it for 50. i didn't even say goodbye as i started walking away.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Last fall I promised myself I would drop a little doggie yard on my route. The yard is the size of two ping pong tables pushed together and has paid $15 per service for weekly service the last 5 plus years.

You guessed it, I'm going to keep the little doggie yard. They write two checks each season. One in April and one half way through the season. That's $450 for ten minutes of work once per week or thirty times per season. I always use the weedeater and just leave the droppings uncut.

Years ago I had what may have qualified for the "Mother of all doggie yards award." The yard was about 20 x 15 feet. I don't know what kind of dog the customer had, (it was always inside during the day) but it must have been huge judging by what it left in the yard. I used the weedeater and avoided mowing anyplace there were fresh droppings. It got to the point that I was cutting only half the yard each visit. Dropped that one after one season.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fired my crew leader already, for a no show and a tardy all within a week. not puttin up with it this year. It put me back in the field but I don't care!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mrs birddseedd?

what will happen if she finds this
Old 04-01-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
I had to do that. guy asked me how much it cost me for the grub ex for a grub treatment. i told him 52 dollars. he asked me if i would do it for 50. i didn't even say goodbye as i started walking away.
$2.00 dollars? Maybe $22.00 dollars, but $2.00 whole dollars made you rudely walk away. I think I found part of your business problem. I have to say I am completely shocked you would even turn that down. Part of me doesn't even believe it, but it is the internet. I'm thinking you may have lost a regular customer over 2 bucks. That's all.

48" Bobcat WB w/ 14hp Kohler
21" Troy Built
Echo 225 trimmer/edger combo
Poulan blower
12x6 atv trailer

Last edited by Banksy; 04-01-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seeing this thread kind of makes me laugh, my first year in the business i would of put up with anything to get some work. Now in only my fourth year I've already decided to stick to my guns on prices and not to put up with PITA customers. Part of my theory is since i still work a full time job on top of my over full time business is that when i go to leave my job i want a full schedule of good customers. I know its going to be tough enough to walk away from a job that pays well with benefits but i don't want to have to put up with PITA customers on top of it. My goal is to fill my schedule by the end of this season and come next spring cut myself free from the man and give it a run.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
$2.00 dollars? Maybe $22.00 dollars, but $2.00 whole dollars made you rudely walk away. I think I found part of your business problem. I have to say I am completely shocked you would even turn that down. Part of me doesn't even believe it, but it is the internet.
I think you missunderstood. he wanted me to do the work for 2 dollars less than what the materials cost. doing the job would take 2 dollars out of my pocket.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
I think you missunderstood. he wanted me to do the work for 2 dollars less than what the materials cost. doing the job would take 2 dollars out of my pocket.
So you were going to work for free?

48" Bobcat WB w/ 14hp Kohler
21" Troy Built
Echo 225 trimmer/edger combo
Poulan blower
12x6 atv trailer
Old 04-02-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
So you were going to work for free?
i forget what i charged but i did make a few bucks on it. i was kinda throwing that service in for him as he had a yearly seasonal price. but he did try to get me to work for less than free.