Register free!

Old 04-04-2013, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Composting?

Is composting a good business? I get quite a bit of my own dirt and yard waste I could use a skid steer for snow plowing in the winter, then it could be useful in the summer. Thoughts and comments are appreciated.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Any business is a good business as long as you know your cost and make money. I think composting is a great hobby for me. The material is basically free. Just be careful of any pesticides in it as you collect (you can tell, just look at the lawn for the most part. Bad lawns aren't normally sprayed). If you don't know if it was sprayed just ask the owner who bagged it. You don't want that in it especially if you are dealing with organic gardeners. Leaves and grass mixed with dirt in thin layers works well. Keep it turned every 4-5 days and monitor temps. Turn when your pile heats up to 160 degrees(thermophilic). Eventually your pile will cool down and only be warm(mesophilic) then no heat after several turning of the piles. This begins your maturation process. 2 months later you can screen it and use it. Keep your piles covered and moist, not soggy.