Register free!

Old 04-01-2013, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Weed Control Plan (Bermuda Lawn)

I live 30 miles south of Birmingham, AL. I'm using a 4 gallon (pump) backpack sprayer for tight areas and a Crop Care 25 gallon ATV sprayer with a 8-head (TeeJet heads), 12-foot-long boom. I'm taking care of my dad's yard (1 acre), my brother's yard (1/2 acre), and my yard (1/2 acre). We all have Bermuda turf lawns. I'm wanting to achieve and maintain a professional weed control program for the lawns year-round.

On February 18th I treated my lawn with Surflan and Gallery. I applied with a fan nozzle on a backpack sprayer. I measured correct amounts of herbicide (calibrated the sprayer, too) and sprayed with blue dye for uniform coverage. We had a 1/2 inch of rain within 36 hours of application. Lawn has done pretty good since, but I've had a few weeds pop up in the last week or so. Is that pretty normal or is there a better concoction or time to apply this? I'm going to spot spray this week, but what can I do to get better results with pre-m?

My dad's yard has a lot of weeds (dandelion, thistle, henbit, wild garlic, some dallis grass). Our Bermuda is just greening up now. Is there a good combination that I can use to blanket spray during this time or do I have to wait for the Bermuda to finish greening up? I'd love to treat it now. Also, is a pre-emergent like Dimension still good to put down or am I too late for any benefit?

Any recommendations for a good weed-control schedule (year-round) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Anybody out there willing to share some info on a good weed maintenance in Bermuda? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please critique my plan so far or tell me what you would do. I've read a ton of material, but I'm just looking for some help from the guys on the ground. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

8 T-Jet Nozzles on that electric pump would be far too many to put down enough product as fertilizer, weed control etc. What size of pump do you have? Anyway, Gallery pre-em should be down now. Following two weeks after greenup with your liquid fertilizer. (I use soluble ammonium sulfate and potassium nitrate) mixed to give results based on a current soil test. Do you have irrigation as these need to be watered in? 1/2lb/K for the Nitrogen and 1lb of potassium would be a good start. You probably need micros and iron also to be incorporated into the mix. Repeat 4weeks after 1st application and mowing to 1" with a reel mower works best.
Other with more extensive knowledge may chime in but this will get you started.
"Gallery" for your pre-em does the least damage on root pruning than the others. Followed by Dimension (2) and then Prodiamine (Barricade, Stonewall, etc)
Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Deep South, if you still have broadleaf just treat it with a 3-way herbicide and a good sticker and that ought to help. If you want something for the dallis grass i'd say Tribute Total is the best unless you have some msma and the ability to spray it every 2 weeks untill it's dead. As far as a pre, it depends on how much Surflan you used the first go round. Dimension is as good a choice as any but you could just use the Surflan again if you still have some and you havent applied the annual max that it allows.
You can't be too far from Farm Links golf course in Sylacauga, I've been down there 3 times. It's beautyful down there. Some good fishing too.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys! RALmaroad it has a 3 gallon per minute Shurflo diaphragm pump on it. You're saying that's not enough pump? I treated my lawn with it a few weeks back when the Bermuda was still dormant with the proper mixture of 2,4D and it did a great job of killing the henbit, bitercrest and wild garlic. I have a couple patches of dallis grass but i didn't treat for that at the time, but will spot spray this weekend.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Sooner, not far from Farm Links at all. Beautiful place!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Deep South: Sorry about that. When I pulled the thread, only the first paragraph was there. Must have been a script problem on my computer. I should have qualified by saying that in our heat, a hot mix (Under 3 gal/K) would burn a lawn without irrigation.
I run a three nozzle walking boom at 120PSIG at the tank and about 80 at the boom. But I'm used to putting down about 4 gal/K. If your weeds are dying, then you're doing right. Just be careful with herbicides in the heat. I'd suggest using a good surfactant. On your pre-em, just remember that it deteriorates in about 6 weeks if a normal application. Meaning that it sinks into the soil too far to effect the surface seeds or is washed out by heavy rains or irrigation on sandy soils.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In the future, please re think the Surflan. It prunes roots and at normal rates lasts several months. Gallery is really good on bermuda. The best preemergent in bermuda is low mowing with a reel mower and up to 1 lb of N per month of growing season. Rotary mowing thins the grass because it pulls up the stolons trying to take root and knit together. For that size of lawn, a 3 gang reel mower that you tow behind the same tractor you tow your spray boom with is a good idea. It is no where near as bad as a fairway mower with hydraulically driven reels. I am talking under $2000 instead of $50,000I would also get a soil test done to have an idea of nutrient levels and pH. Your source of N changes depending on what soil pH is. I maintain bermuda with a program of low mowing and monthly applications of solution grade fertilizers. My preferred preemergents to get a lawn to where it is maintained with low mowing are Gallery, simazine, Dimension, and Specticle. What you can and cannot do depends on whether there is irrigation or not. Non irrigated lawns can have the worst weed problems because the grass thins out and declines long before the weeds do. They survive drought and heat.

If I need to go after broadleaf weeds in cool weather conditions, 2,4-D is good. I use 2,4-D ester. Another preformulated product containing 2,4-D that I like a lot is Speedzone Southern. Now we are talking about some products notorious for drift damage. If your boom has the regular 8000VS or XR8000VS consider changing those tips to the AI11000 tips. They are not as drift prone as a regular boom tip. You are also able to lower the boom to 18" above the ground and still get the coverage. Both RAlmaroad and I use AI11000 tips on a walking boom. Held 16-18" above the lawn with a traveling speed of about 2 MPH, they cover very evenly with greatly reduced drift. I am in an area that is extremely windy most months of the year. Not having AI 11000 tips would make it virtually impossible for me to spray, ever.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-04-2013, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you Greendoctor. That's great info. I'll look into the heads today. After a few sprays with the heads I have, I was considering changing them out because they seemed to drift too much. Thanks again for the information.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Greendoctor, I currently have XR11002 tips on my sprayer. What are your thoughts on that type? Would you still switch to the AI11000 tips? I would definitely like the best drift control possible. Thanks.