Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

John deere deck questions??

we just bought a new 925 john deere zero turn it is a 54 mod deck. when I put the deck all the way to the lowest setting which Is 1.5 I believe.it still cuts at like 3 inches? anyone ever heard of this.? I want to adjust the deck but I don't want to mess up the pitch and all of the deck. let me know what you guys think. I called my dealer and they said they didn't know what was going on.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like something is hanging up in the deck lift system. I have a 60" MOD and I have never had any problem like that. Look up under the right black body panel below the deck depth gauge dial. See if there's something binding or stuck on the gear that sets the depth, or prevents it from rotating correctly.

Check your pitch anyway because the factory setting doesn't usually have enough pitch when they send them out. Check it with someone in the seat, or add an extra 1/8" of pitch, because it does make a difference. I have checked mine repeatedly with my Deere deck gauge with me in the seat, and out of the seat. That's how I came up with the etxra 1/8" if you have no one to sit on it while you set the pitch.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

ok great, ill try those things tomorrow and let you know if that fixed it. thanks for the advice.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The pitch won't have anything to do with the problem, but it willl make the deck stripe a lot nicer when set correctly. I changed mine from 1/4" to 3/8" with me off the seat (that changed it from 1/8" to 1/4" with me on the seat and the rears set at 12psi), and I can really tell/see the difference in the stripes.

This may sound condescending, but I don't meant it to come off that way- are your deck gauge wheels holding the deck from going down further when you try to drop to 1.5"? Either check to see if they are in the top hole, or take them right off to check the HOC vs the dial setting.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

This may sound even more condescending, but I have to ask.......are you trying to lower the deck while the transport lock is still engaged?

I've seen it happen before......
Old 04-02-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Most likley the anti scalp wheels are not allowing deck to go down.
Why would you want to cut at 1.5'' ?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

jds web site has the manuals if you dont have one for your model. It will tell you how to set the deck. I agree with the others, check your anti scalp wheels, and your deck lock first
Old 04-02-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the help guys, the deck is not locked I have checked that. the crew that has that mower got to the shop after I left so im going to check it tomorrow. and for the question about cutting it at 1.5. pretty much all we cut is zoysia and Bermuda so 1.5 is common height to cut those especially for the spring scalp.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check the scalp wheels on deck like stated above. They need to be moved up more than likely.