Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Eagle Scout Looking for Help

I'm currently working on my Eagle Scout project which entails working with a local church to create a reflection garden in which local citizens can come and sit ect. The part that I know least about is the addition of a paver patio which would be about 12 feet by 10 feet with 16in X 16in pavers, seeing as im no professional and will have very few else who can work in the way a landscaping contractor could I am trying to cut down on time and the work (specifically excavating) that a paver requires. I was looking into Brock Paver Bases as an alternative solution and was wondering what the landscaping community at large thinks.

The patio will have 3 6ft benches on them and would be on a fairly level surface to start with. On a side note I will be completing the project in central NJ.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lightbulb sod cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmet View Post
I'm currently working on my Eagle Scout project which entails working with a local church to create a reflection garden in which local citizens can come and sit ect. The part that I know least about is the addition of a paver patio which would be about 12 feet by 10 feet with 16in X 16in pavers, seeing as im no professional and will have very few else who can work in the way a landscaping contractor could I am trying to cut down on time and the work (specifically excavating) that a paver requires. I was looking into Brock Paver Bases as an alternative solution and was wondering what the landscaping community at large thinks.

The patio will have 3 6ft benches on them and would be on a fairly level surface to start with. On a side note I will be completing the project in central NJ.
Try renting a sod cutter, and removing first the sod, then 2-3 1" "lifts" of topsoil, by cutting with the sod cutter, and removing the dirt with a flat shovel.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey there Jemmet, It's a really great thing that you are doing there,,, donating your time to a local church. I could write a book here on different ways to go about doing your project but it sounds like all you need is a basic overview of how to lay pavers... Making sure the site is prepped correctly is very important, as is making sure you have the right material down for a base. After that, making sure pavers are level or on with a pitch is next.. Finishing up with sweeping in stone dust/polymer/sand.. whatever you decide on... Depending on how professional you want the job to be, or not to be...... You can go to the ICPI(interlocking concrete paving institute) website.. Ton of great info here.. Or, you could do a google search for something as easy as a "Lowes" how to video. Either way, it's a serious job that should be done correctly and last many lifetimes.... Keep us updated...
Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any progress reports?
Old 04-09-2013, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Armsden & Son! I am currently speaking with one of the local ICPI certified landscapers in my area and things are beginning to become a lot clearer to me.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Jemmet;
I'd like to congratulate you on your effort. And on making Eagle Scout!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Youtube is your friend.. there are some decent how to videos that would give you a good idea of what to do. Here's one from the Pavestone company... Pavestone Video on Youtube
Old 04-11-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not a difficult task and not a lot of stress on your surface... I've done simple paver jobs over the years but never really got into it hardcore at all... still with great success...
One secret told me by someone that I contnue to follow till this day and it should be adequate to get through a project of this caliber...

strp off 2 or 3 inches of whatever is there and fill up the area with masonary sand... settle in your pavers evenly by levelling the pavers as you go... sweep it in,,, water it in,,, then check it out and finalize the next day... you'll be fine as long as you don't turn it into a complication...
Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ummmmm.... Just don't want a young lad getting the wrong impression here.... Depending on where the site is, the prep might need to be a tad bit more involved than taking off 2-3 inches and just putting down sand... How much traffic will the area get? How is the drainage and pitch of the grade there? I would hate for you to just throw down some 2or 3 inches of sand then pavers and walk away.... No offense smallaxe but this is a young guy here and i would hate to see him cut corners and soil his reputation being so young.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Understood Armsden,,,

it is always good to question any circumstance that involves other people having sense enough to do the right thing...
my thoughts are that a small sitting area with 3 benches should be low stress, so as long as the pavers are set in well enough that people don't trip over them it should be OK...
I would hope that he would NOT just walk away either...

If there are further considerations they should certainly be brought up... doesn't offend me... that is what FORUMS are good for...
Multiple POVs...

Tags
help a newbie , help wanted , paver patio