Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
How soon do you get snow after Fall cleanups? Perhaps that would be a better time for you to take off?
There is a narrow window of about a week late October/Early November I could take a break but my son is in school.

He may be home schooled this next school year....might work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Lets see. Im 28, married, have a baby on the way. My spring break days are over. I can catch a buzz just thinking about my spring break trips back in the day when i was 17-23. Lol now you got me day dreaming.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you have any Beads left?

Im trying to get off this break stuff, Spring break is out of the question.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Member

My "spring" break is from Nov thru March for the last 10 years. I work 50 miles south of the snow belt, we get maybe 2 plowable snows per year. It wouldn't pay enough to even buy equipment.

Oh well, it's the 3rd of April. Back to 10 hour days 7 days a week. The transition is a killer!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I took a long weekend in spring a couple years ago to go to Martinsville. I do take a family week vacation at the end of July and my wife and I take a week mid October. Being a solo getting ready for those two weeks off means 16-18 hour days before and after. IMO well worth it for family time, you can never get that back!
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just getting back from 10 days in Florida for my kids spring break. Although we've had 2-3 crews already running while I was gone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2013, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehitchman View Post
I'm leaving Friday for a week at the beach. Jamming it all in before I go. I let all my customers know a couple weeks ago. i'm also taking 6 days in June and a week over the 4th of July. You need to kick back once in awhile. I skipped vacations the 1st 30 years of my career, not any more.
You are so correct.

I really have to agree with this. I drifted into a bad case of situational burnout late last Autumn and Early Fall running 2 businesses. Part of it is I’m very sensitive to amount of daylight hours Acadian rhythm etc. The other fact is sleep deprivation which becomes really insidious long term and other personal relationship issues which is a major drag on the ticket.

My legally bound estranged significant other is off for Spring break visiting relatives this week with my son and I’m scrambling around like a chicken with it’s head cut off deciding what is most urgent....like posting this. Yes it's gotta be about me for a change and it's worth the time to post this.

If I can pull it off this year I’m buying a pop-up camper for my T100 4x4 for my son and I for weekend camping and fishing. Her summer job can pay for it. Wonder what summer job she'll get....?

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

spring break is in the height of mowing season here. this year i was doing the first cuts on all of the yards.

if i do any kind of vacation during the mowing season it's on a weekend when there's a holiday on monday. so friday through monday would be my vacation.

i mow mid march until the end of october. i do a few leaf jobs in nov and december but it's so spread out it's not like i'm working the whole month of nov or dec. i have plenty of time off for thanksgiving and christmas. i also have jan and feb off every year so perfect time to take a vacation and go snow skiing or something.

i've been going to florida to the beach my whole life during the summer. a long weekend is enough for me now. i get bored if i spend a whole week down there.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
spring break is in the height of mowing season here. this year i was doing the first cuts on all of the yards.

if i do any kind of vacation during the mowing season it's on a weekend when there's a holiday on monday. so friday through monday would be my vacation.

i mow mid march until the end of october. i do a few leaf jobs in nov and december but it's so spread out it's not like i'm working the whole month of nov or dec. i have plenty of time off for thanksgiving and christmas. i also have jan and feb off every year so perfect time to take a vacation and go snow skiing or something.

i've been going to florida to the beach my whole life during the summer. a long weekend is enough for me now. i get bored if i spend a whole week down there.
Looks like we will have a break tomarrow, the weather reallly sucks this year.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I really have plenty of time off from December until the beginning of March... except for this year. I am still only working a limited schedule. The freezing temps every 2 days has really delayed greening up our grass.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Maybe next Spring I always tell myself. I write up my snow contracts to end just before Spring break but I've never been able to go anywhere.

Maybe it's just me....?
Posted via Mobile Device
what's vacation?

seriously I haven't had any time off besides the standard one or two days during the week for the past 7 years.

the last time I had a spring break was when when I was in high school.