Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-06-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
When you're twice as old as you are now you'll look back on these years as not being your most productive. And no, that's not a typo. You won't hit your good strides and endurance until you hit your 40's. When you hit your 50's you'll look at 20 something kids and say that they have a long way to go and a lot to learn. In your 50's you'll still be able to work circles around 20-somethings.

I definitely feel that and agree that you're right on without a doubt. I had some unforeseen health problems this past year which put a lot into perspective as far as whether or not working myself to death is going to be sustainable. If you get hurt or are able to work you're screwed, unless you build a decent size company.

Now that I'm doing a lot better I realize for my situation its best for me to pay close attention to finances, live and work smart, and enjoy these valuable years of my life as much as I can. After all, I'm in this line of work for the freedom and enjoyment I get out of it. I'm sure a lot of you guys owe yourselves some vacation time!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BckYrdLmbrJk View Post
I try to take 3 day weekends and go camping/backpacking as often as possible. Especially during the winter. I do a lot of winter camping when the forecast looks clear and have yet to miss a storm or anything. But I have done some very tired plowing

I have some traveling to do that might involve week or so long trips here or there, but finding the time is tough when you put yourself under contractual obligations. Those hiking/camping weekends though really keep me sane, I'm only 22 though, can't say what I'll be doing even in a more few years.
I really have to agree with you on this. I have have become really burned out on my other business to the point of it becoming a cringe fest even though the money was decent with low overhead. Then working the lawn biz the biggest loser has been my son and not having dad around.

Next Spring break I hope to do something fun for at least a 3 or 4 day weekend.

Last summer passed me by and it was a major uphill struggle to do a 3-4 day weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2013, 08:57 AM

I can see why you would want to take a trip. Winter is not a good time to have off for many of us. I never have considered winter time off, a vacation. I dread January and February.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't like leaving for anything longer than maybe a 3 day weekend during the mowing season, even that does not come to often. My wife and I recently visited family in Mississippi during her spring break from teaching, which is usually in early March. The only other time I feel comfortable leaving is after fall clean-ups are wrapped up, usually not a huge threat for accumulating snow that time of year around here, at least that would need plowed. Some day I will rid myself of snow removal, and will be free to get away during the winter.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I hit the beach this year it was a blast plus it was slow anyway. You're only young once
!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is a "week off"?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

To me anything less than 90 days off isn't even worth talking about, thou I do find it odd how it's been a bit since I've had a vacation.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
I really have to agree with you on this. I have have become really burned out on my other business to the point of it becoming a cringe fest even though the money was decent with low overhead. Then working the lawn biz the biggest loser has been my son and not having dad around.

Next Spring break I hope to do something fun for at least a 3 or 4 day weekend.

Last summer passed me by and it was a major uphill struggle to do a 3-4 day weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device
I worked with my dad when I was really young-9, cutting grass and still do, most folks would love to see their dads many days each week--I feel lucky...we also took really great vacations also-
Old 04-07-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i hear alot of you guys talk like you work all the time? why? why do you guys try to work 7 days a week 12hrs a day???

i can work 6-8hrs a day 5 days a week and make 50k a year. that is plenty enough money to live on.

are you guys trying to make over 100k a year or something? i have no intention of trying for that. 50k a year is more than any other job around here pays per year. way more. average job here pays 20-35k a year before taxes. i have plenty of time off. more than i would if i worked a normal job. i don't work weekends or anything like that ever.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
I don't think I could enjoy a Spring break unless I had a trusted sidekick or personal assistant holding down the fort. We had a death in the family last month and that threw the brakes on many of my preps for the season.

I put most of my other desk job business to bed to do this and that has been a tough decision. $30 an hour with nominal over head.

I usually do a 4 day weekend later in the season.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is exactly why I FORCE myself to take a vacation. I have this same kind of Type A constantly be productive mentality...I work 16 hour days...

I understand where you are coming from completely...but this trait we have in common is why I realize I must take time off...burnout happens...and it creeps on to you...it's nowhere to be seen...and then it comes from out of nowhere around the corner.

Gotta live your life while you're alive...I'm all for making money...because money contributes to security. But I want security so I can spend my days with my family. I want to spend some time with them now too...

I take off 7 consecutive days each year...try to work in more if I can. It's important. You gotta turn your mind off sometimes (or at least try to). I think cruises are great for this...no cell phone/internet reception and you're stuck on a boat. You couldn't work if you tried!