Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #41  
Old 04-10-2013, 10:52 PM
getdown getdown is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
I don't think I could enjoy a Spring break unless I had a trusted sidekick or personal assistant holding down the fort. We had a death in the family last month and that threw the brakes on many of my preps for the season.

I put most of my other desk job business to bed to do this and that has been a tough decision. $30 an hour with nominal over head.



I usually do a 4 day weekend later in the season.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm sorry I realize now that you are in zone 5b so we have very different circumstances...In Florida, we have very little down time in the "off season". We can mow less, but we don't have to pray for snow or sit at home. Winter (possibly even more than Spring) is when we make BIG bucks...Summer is all keeping up with grass growing in the tropical sunny climate, but winter is landscape jobs.

If I had the winter off, I could understand feeling guilty for taking time off during the 5 months of "season". Here its year round and I can't let myself feel guilty about taking off a week. Gotta change your oil everyonce in a while or you'll overheat!

Not to jack the thread, but a lot of people say things like "what's vacation"? And I understand...I'm always working. But when people from up north say that, do you all have winter businesses? I'm not trying to be confrontational or say some people don't work as hard, I'm just curious what goes on during the winter if you don't plow...equipment maintenance and marketing? I have a buddy in the northeast who wants to start a company but worries about the winter hibernation. In Florida we have to work year round...the grass keeps growing and people expect you to show up and maintain their property.

Is there really not down time/vacation in the winter?

Last edited by getdown; 04-10-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-10-2013, 10:53 PM
birddseedd birddseedd is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,917
what is a vacation?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Father&Daughter Lawn care's Avatar
Father&Daughter Lawn care Father&Daughter Lawn care is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Richmond Indiana
Posts: 381
This spring I had not begun working yet. Usually I can take a couple of days off to spend with the kids. That's a great benefit to working solo I set my own schedule and never miss any of my kids activities.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-10-2013, 11:15 PM
getdown getdown is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father&Daughter Lawn care View Post
This spring I had not begun working yet. Usually I can take a couple of days off to spend with the kids. That's a great benefit to working solo I set my own schedule and never miss any of my kids activities.
I like this mentality (and your user name). I originally got into business for myself because I wanted the freedom and to work outside doing something I love. Then I started getting hungry and became a full out capitalist! (nothing wrong with that, my business just became my baby).

When I have kids of my own, however, I hope I remember that I'm my own boss, and sacrificing a few extra dollars is a lot less to give up than time with my kids...I'm planning on being the father who is with the family every night (even if it's in the workshop)...and even if it means missing out on a few thousand dollars revenue each month that I could have made if I missed dinner with the family every night.

There's always opportunity costs in business, but the nice thing about being your own boss is you get to decide which you would rather do without.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 PM
birddseedd birddseedd is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,917
If you dont have kids now its a good time to build your business up to the point where you dont have to work 80 hrs jsut to get by
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-10-2013, 11:25 PM
getdown getdown is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
If you dont have kids now its a good time to build your business up to the point where you dont have to work 80 hrs jsut to get by
I agree 100% birdseed. That's what I'm trying to do right now. My wife is really eager to be a mommy, but I'm putting 110% of my time into the company right now (I don't know whether it makes our relationship stronger that we don't see each other often or if she misses me lol).

But yes, right now I completely building my business...it's my baby and I never stop working on it. The idea is to become relatively self-propelled. I'm 25 years old. By the time I'm 30, I want to have a couple guys working with/for me (possibly sooner). By the time I'm 35, I want to be in a situation where I'm driving an NPR and not working so much as dealing with customer service and supervising. By the time I'm 40, I would like to have 2 maintenance crews (1 superintendent for both) and a landscape crew (another super). I'd like to be in the office/shop or selling at Chamber of Commerce type of events (engaged politically in the local economy).
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-10-2013, 11:35 PM
dstifel's Avatar
dstifel dstifel is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: des moines ia
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by getdown View Post
I'm sorry I realize now that you are in zone 5b so we have very different circumstances...In Florida, we have very little down time in the "off season". We can mow less, but we don't have to pray for snow or sit at home. Winter (possibly even more than Spring) is when we make BIG bucks...Summer is all keeping up with grass growing in the tropical sunny climate, but winter is landscape jobs.

If I had the winter off, I could understand feeling guilty for taking time off during the 5 months of "season". Here its year round and I can't let myself feel guilty about taking off a week. Gotta change your oil everyonce in a while or you'll overheat!

Not to jack the thread, but a lot of people say things like "what's vacation"? And I understand...I'm always working. But when people from up north say that, do you all have winter businesses? I'm not trying to be confrontational or say some people don't work as hard, I'm just curious what goes on during the winter if you don't plow...equipment maintenance and marketing? I have a buddy in the northeast who wants to start a company but worries about the winter hibernation. In Florida we have to work year round...the grass keeps growing and people expect you to show up and maintain their property.

Is there really not down time/vacation in the winter?
Winter is hard for me because how do you plan a vacation? okay mother nature I'm planning a vacation on this weekend don't snow for me. OR call your accounts hey I'm out of of town this week so if it snows your SOL. That is the dilemma i run into. I take my fair share of spur of the moment weekend trips but always catch myself checking weather throughout the whole weekend and never going farther then a couple hours away in case i have to high tail it home. We do have downtime i won't lie to you there but when the weather dictates your work its hard to plan a week away. JMO
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-10-2013, 11:53 PM
getdown getdown is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
Winter is hard for me because how do you plan a vacation? okay mother nature I'm planning a vacation on this weekend don't snow for me. OR call your accounts hey I'm out of of town this week so if it snows your SOL. That is the dilemma i run into. I take my fair share of spur of the moment weekend trips but always catch myself checking weather throughout the whole weekend and never going farther then a couple hours away in case i have to high tail it home. We do have downtime i won't lie to you there but when the weather dictates your work its hard to plan a week away. JMO
Dstifel, I feel ya man...that's a pain. Then in the summer you have to deal with rain, which can be a pain too when you're trying to get stuff done. Winter time you're always on call...it's like being a doctor or something I guess. Because, yeah...I'd imagine that customers who are snowed in would not be very sympathetic if you told them you were out of town when it snowed!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Exact Rototilling's Avatar
Exact Rototilling Exact Rototilling is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zone: 5B
Posts: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
Winter is hard for me because how do you plan a vacation? okay mother nature I'm planning a vacation on this weekend don't snow for me. OR call your accounts hey I'm out of of town this week so if it snows your SOL. That is the dilemma i run into. I take my fair share of spur of the moment weekend trips but always catch myself checking weather throughout the whole weekend and never going farther then a couple hours away in case i have to high tail it home. We do have downtime i won't lie to you there but when the weather dictates your work its hard to plan a week away. JMO
Yes this is very true. I'm basically married to my snow route. For the first time ever I spent the 2012 Christmas morning with my son via Skype. Better than NOT being there. A few Thanksgiving's back we had a load of family over and I was running on snow all day. When I showed up for dinner it was past 9 pm.

I hate doing snow but I'm basically forced to do it to make any decent money at this biz.

I'm off to a sluggish start this year due to a number of circumstances but my prediction is it will be my highest gross and net year ever.

Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-11-2013, 12:15 AM
weeze's Avatar
weeze weeze is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: weezertonfieldville, AL
Posts: 5,405
we have no snow removal here. so guaranteed at least 3 months off every year to do whatever we wanna do.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:27 PM.

Page generated in 0.07802 seconds with 7 queries