Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly I'm only 21 but i started pushing snow whether it be a four wheeler skid steer or truck shhh when i was 15 with my uncle. In those 5 years i have pushed snow on 3 xmas eves. It is not fun but when you have to have equipment we have for this industry it only makes sense to do snow as well. Plus i don't want anyone else in this field servicing my customers to much undercutting going on as is. Now that i have my own trucks and routes i feel the pressure even more but ig it is something we have to get used to in this field. Heck i had to miss a weekend of deer hunting this year for the first time i can ever remember.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Yes this is very true. I'm basically married to my snow route. For the first time ever I spent the 2012 Christmas morning with my son via Skype. Better than NOT being there. A few Thanksgiving's back we had a load of family over and I was running on snow all day. When I showed up for dinner it was past 9 pm.

I hate doing snow but I'm basically forced to do it to make any decent money at this biz.

I'm off to a sluggish start this year due to a number of circumstances but my prediction is it will be my highest gross and net year ever.

Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, that sounds rough...it's not like landscaping where you can plan your week out (barring rain) and be at the dinner on Thursday at 5pm because your wife asked you a week in advance...

...sounds like when it snows, you are plowing or you will have some very upset customers...even if Santa just came the night before...rough
Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey there Richard Martin.. I am 31 years old... I am a new owner operator however I have been in the business for just over 15 years now... Worked for big and small companies in New England... I gotta say that I have been on LS for years but just started posting and I have always read and admired your posts.... The one about age a couple pages back is really brilliant. I work a lot with my Dad and some of his friends and this really just makes so much sense.. I learn SO MUCH from working with gentlemen is that age bracket and I think you put it best the way that you said it. I have a 3 year old son and I will most certainly be raising him with the values and traits that I think a boy and then man should have. It's too bad that so many young men are only interested in video games and computers now a days. We were forced to go outside to play when we got home from school when I was growing up! Not that we needed to be.... street hockey, baseball, football, army games... you name it, we were playing it until supper time... Anyway, good point on the whole age thing and even though I am 32 I understood your quote perfectly because when I work with gentlemen in their late 40's early 50's I am in AWE! Talk about work smarter not harder! They are like Jedi workers!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Hey there Richard Martin.. I am 31 years old... I am a new owner operator however I have been in the business for just over 15 years now... Worked for big and small companies in New England... I gotta say that I have been on LS for years but just started posting and I have always read and admired your posts.... The one about age a couple pages back is really brilliant. I work a lot with my Dad and some of his friends and this really just makes so much sense.. I learn SO MUCH from working with gentlemen is that age bracket and I think you put it best the way that you said it. I have a 3 year old son and I will most certainly be raising him with the values and traits that I think a boy and then man should have. It's too bad that so many young men are only interested in video games and computers now a days. We were forced to go outside to play when we got home from school when I was growing up! Not that we needed to be.... street hockey, baseball, football, army games... you name it, we were playing it until supper time... Anyway, good point on the whole age thing and even though I am 32 I understood your quote perfectly because when I work with gentlemen in their late 40's early 50's I am in AWE! Talk about work smarter not harder! They are like Jedi workers!
Exactly how i feel when i work with my dad on anything. He has been in construction his entire life and anytime i help him with anything he has ways of doing things that are so obvious but its like wtf y did i not think of that. OF course he always waits for me to do it the hard way first then shows me but i suppose that is part of learning
Old 04-10-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
Exactly I'm only 21 but i started pushing snow whether it be a four wheeler skid steer or truck shhh when i was 15 with my uncle. In those 5 years i have pushed snow on 3 xmas eves. It is not fun but when you have to have equipment we have for this industry it only makes sense to do snow as well. Plus i don't want anyone else in this field servicing my customers to much undercutting going on as is. Now that i have my own trucks and routes i feel the pressure even more but ig it is something we have to get used to in this field. Heck i had to miss a weekend of deer hunting this year for the first time i can ever remember.
Yea man, I completely get it...especially letting other people near your customers to possibly undercut...it's a dirty business...I'm all about building personal relationships with my people...so I'm not just a service and a monthly bill...but there's a friendship/emotional attachment.

About your hunting comment...I wish I only missed the occasional weekend activity...seems I'm working all weekends now...but I'm really in "grind" mode getting business up.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I agree for the most part (although I am in physically better shape than most of my mentors/teachers)...But watching those "old bulls" (not really that old) work is impressive and it has to be the years of experience...it's about efficiency, and like you said, working smarter not harder. I watch my father in law in the shop sometimes (he doesn't landscape, but he's a handy guy)...When we're both working on something, I have a lot more fast moving parts going...and he's just chugging along slowly...but he's doing it more deliberately...because he knows the process and the best way to draw a line from Point A to B.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdown View Post
Yea man, I completely get it...especially letting other people near your customers to possibly undercut...it's a dirty business...I'm all about building personal relationships with my people...so I'm not just a service and a monthly bill...but there's a friendship/emotional attachment.

About your hunting comment...I wish I only missed the occasional weekend activity...seems I'm working all weekends now...but I'm really in "grind" mode getting business up.
I decided this year I am doing my best to not work weekends or it just overtakes my life. However one week into the season rain all week and will probably be working 16 hour day Saturday to get caught back up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Anyway, good point on the whole age thing and even though I am 32 I understood your quote perfectly because when I work with gentlemen in their late 40's early 50's I am in AWE! Talk about work smarter not harder! They are like Jedi workers!
Quote:
Exactly how i feel when i work with my dad on anything. He has been in construction his entire life and anytime i help him with anything he has ways of doing things that are so obvious but its like wtf y did i not think of that. OF course he always waits for me to do it the hard way first then shows me but i suppose that is part of learning
wow my experience with older people is totally opposite.

i agree they do work harder but they don't work smarter at all. everytime i work with my dad or older people they are doing things the hardest way possible. i'm like why don't we do this it would make it 1/2 as hard and we would get done twice as fast. they just don't get what i'm trying to say.

they seem to wanna do things the hard way like they did in the old days and get done for the day barely being able to walk and being all sore the next day barely being able to move.

if we do it my way we are done in half the time and feeling good later that night and waking up the next day ready to go again.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'm really lucky in that way too...my father in law is really willing to teach (he actually worked as an electrician for 32 years and now teaches an apprentance program)...he never makes me feel stupid, just sheds the light of years of experience on me.

Of course, when I drink with him and his buddies sometimes they really pick up the whole "been there done that" mentality...walking up hills both ways...riding a bull for 10 seconds...working as giggolo, haha!

I'm willing to put up with it because he's a great guy. He also usually buys the beer...and when I first started dating his daughter I was probably somewhat of a young man who "knew everything".
Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I decided this year I am doing my best to not work weekends or it just overtakes my life. However one week into the season rain all week and will probably be working 16 hour day Saturday to get caught back up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I get that. Unfortunately, I have to, or else I'll be underwater. In high school I learned that if I push off my homework for another day...it piles up. Completely understand designating time for you and your loved ones/friends if you can handle the work load...I'm sometimes forced to work weekends (probably 2-4 weeks a month).