Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-11-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Haha don't take that for granted the girl I dated for four years father absolutely hated me still never know why to this day. Daughter was not allowed at my house without him talking to my parents as 17 year olds for the first two years. I took care or his yard poured his drive at cost everything never gained an ounce of respect. Its to bad to prly would of married that girl but I couldn't put up with it anymore i was bound to freak out and beat him senseless
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
wow my experience with older people is totally opposite.

i agree they do work harder but they don't work smarter at all. everytime i work with my dad or older people they are doing things the hardest way possible. i'm like why don't we do this it would make it 1/2 as hard and we would get done twice as fast. they just don't get what i'm trying to say.

they seem to wanna do things the hard way like they did in the old days and get done for the day barely being able to walk and being all sore the next day barely being able to move.

if we do it my way we are done in half the time and feeling good later that night and waking up the next day ready to go again.

I see this too. Sometimes what I refer to as a "working class mentality". I take pride in hard work, but also in forward progress. Some people would rather work hard for the sake of working hard because it makes them feel like they accomplished more. I consider it a "working class stigma" because they were often taught by their father that life was about working hard because they had a gritty, American dad who made the wheels turn in the country...the more "Bourgeois mentality" is get the wheels greased and everything running efficiently so you don't break your back and can count your money. I understand the pride in working hard, it's something very honorable that not enough people are tough enough to do...but sometimes it's taken to an extreme where it hinders people. It makes more sense to drive a late model vehicle with modern ammenities and capabilities than to try and drive a Ford Model-T.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
Haha don't take that for granted the girl I dated for four years father absolutely hated me still never know why to this day. Daughter was not allowed at my house without him talking to my parents as 17 year olds for the first two years. I took care or his yard poured his drive at cost everything never gained an ounce of respect. Its to bad to prly would of married that girl but I couldn't put up with it anymore i was bound to freak out and beat him senseless
Posted via Mobile Device
hahaha! My father in law is the typical "daddy" who would always be cleaning a shotgun when his daughter (my wife) brought a boyfriend home...and he'd still be cleaning (the same gun) it when they got home 3 hours later haha. A pretty clear gesture!

He approached me with a more clever variation of the gun show:

He has several historical long arms... and he went through the history of them all with me because I had an interest and he's a nice guy...

...lol, so we got to a Civil War gun...and he said that it killed several Yankees...and couldn't remember..."Aren't you from Connecticut"?

It was a more subtle approach...but it was very well comprehended on my part.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Haha I had a dad try that with me in highschool and I went to my truck got mine and asked him to clean it to since he does such a throgough job. This was after about the third month of dating and him doing it everytime we went out. Came back with it clean and he told me he likes a guy who can protect his daughter and had his respect
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
Haha I had a dad try that with me in highschool and I went to my truck got mine and asked him to clean it to since he does such a throgough job. This was after about the third month of dating and him doing it everytime we went out. Came back with it clean and he told me he likes a guy who can protect his daughter and had his respect
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha that's great! Way to turn the old man into free labor! Touché!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Haha yep same father for anyone who has seen my work thread that had me turn In a bid for 70 properties he now owns. Treats me like a son even 4 years later
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2013, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Take your time off. I have two weeks off planned for this summer. I will get someone to mow if my customers prefer this. If the past is any indication of the future, they will all skip these 2 weeks. I have lost only one customer over this in the last 4 years and have picked up a few more each year that understand this.
John Deere 14PZ
Honda HRC 216
Shindaiwa T270, M231 Muliti-Tool & EB802 Stihl MS230 CBE
Echo 210s
Old 04-12-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ha!
Old 04-15-2013, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I've talked to many LCO's who plow in the winter to make ends meet. I try to not think about my business from thanksgiving to easter

That is easy for me to say, we get 2-3 snow storms a season... not worth tying up all that time for peanuts. Time is all we have.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

whats a vacation?