Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

On my 2009 lightning Z I did notice some controllability issues as compared to my scag tiger cub. Since the class of mower was different (much larger) and after I got used to it it was not an issue. I dont remember the scag going back to neutral on its own but I do think it had dampers (cylinders) on the arms to smooth out the operation. My lightning does also. There may be some adjustments that can be made to make things more consistent. I dont have any trouble keeping a straight line. Is the outlaw faster than your prior experience? That might be the issue with things just happening faster than you are used to?

I love the isolator suspension and its a huge improvment from the cub which rattled your teeth in the rough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORNTON SERVICES LLC View Post
An update on the outlaw xp , i have been impressed with the rubber isolators suspension , on rough yards it makes a big difference , the cut remains decent honestly the one negative i have to throw out there is the steering controls , they are different than the controls on other high end mowers and they seem to cause more fatigue , for instance when you push them forward they stick forward till you pull them back , i am used to the levers returning to nuetral on there on and i believe the steering is not as comfratable as that on other brands. The machine is a little larger than some other brands but should be easy to work on , everything seems laid out to be easy to maintenance. Also the transport lock set up on the mower is kinda anoying , wish it was easier to release instead of having to bend over and hold up while lowering the deck. The mower speed seems good and the power is good , i have not been able to keep straight lines on long runs with it very easy i think this is caused by the steering but may be me just not as used to it as my other mowers. At this point i think the mower is a decent vaule for the money but if i was going to do it over again i would spend the extra and buy a jd or gravely just my feeling as of now and that may change as i get more hours on the machine and maybe a little more used to it , now have about 20 hours on machine.
THREAD discussing the CUB fire HERE
CUB Disassembly photos: HERE
THREAD CUB Disassembly HERE
Old 04-22-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
An update on the outlaw xp , i have been impressed with the rubber isolators suspension , on rough yards it makes a big difference , the cut remains decent honestly the one negative i have to throw out there is the steering controls , they are different than the controls on other high end mowers and they seem to cause more fatigue , for instance when you push them forward they stick forward till you pull them back , i am used to the levers returning to nuetral on there on and i believe the steering is not as comfratable as that on other brands. The machine is a little larger than some other brands but should be easy to work on , everything seems laid out to be easy to maintenance. Also the transport lock set up on the mower is kinda anoying , wish it was easier to release instead of having to bend over and hold up while lowering the deck. The mower speed seems good and the power is good , i have not been able to keep straight lines on long runs with it very easy i think this is caused by the steering but may be me just not as used to it as my other mowers. At this point i think the mower is a decent vaule for the money but if i was going to do it over again i would spend the extra and buy a jd or gravely just my feeling as of now and that may change as i get more hours on the machine and maybe a little more used to it , now have about 20 hours on machine.
Just give the deck pedal a quick kick and you will never have to bend over again...lol. There is a little trick to it, just kick fast then drop before the lock makes it back down....love the pedals!!

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 05-27-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

An update , thanks for the input the little kick thing did fix the deck release problem , I now only have about 30hrs on the unit , I have been using my other mowers more , I still am having trouble with the steering and getting used to it , it is currently at the dealer getting worked on the stabilizer bar or something on the back of the deck came off , and some part from the power deck lift fell off so the power deck lift did not work anymore , I don't know???? just took it back to the dealer so they could fix it , the holder that holds the battery down keeps coming loose but some locktite may have fixed that problem , I will say I seem to be having a problem with things falling off or coming loose on the machine , but time will tell , has anyone else had these type of issues with there machine??? Thanks again for the input.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
An update , thanks for the input the little kick thing did fix the deck release problem , I now only have about 30hrs on the unit , I have been using my other mowers more , I still am having trouble with the steering and getting used to it , it is currently at the dealer getting worked on the stabilizer bar or something on the back of the deck came off , and some part from the power deck lift fell off so the power deck lift did not work anymore , I don't know???? just took it back to the dealer so they could fix it , the holder that holds the battery down keeps coming loose but some locktite may have fixed that problem , I will say I seem to be having a problem with things falling off or coming loose on the machine , but time will tell , has anyone else had these type of issues with there machine??? Thanks again for the input.
Thanks for the honest review - sounds like either factory or dealer setup was done in a hurry and without a torque wrench. A cheap fix for the control feel wouls be to swap out the steering dampers with some from another brand - some of them have a return to neutral spring and they have varying levels of dampening effect. Hustler used the nicest ones in my opinion right around 2009-2010 on their super z. It really will make a significant difference in hydro feel.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
Thanks for the honest review - sounds like either factory or dealer setup was done in a hurry and without a torque wrench. A cheap fix for the control feel wouls be to swap out the steering dampers with some from another brand - some of them have a return to neutral spring and they have varying levels of dampening effect. Hustler used the nicest ones in my opinion right around 2009-2010 on their super z. It really will make a significant difference in hydro feel.
I have put some hustler dampners on the older bb's, it makes some difference, but takes some patience. I love the new drives on the xp, it seems like its not near as jerky as the older machines, alot smoother feel. I am not a gravely/kubota real instant response fan though on the trannys. On the rear stabalizer bar, its a new option this year to help the deck not sway back and forth. When you get it back if the dealer didn't do it, lock tight those nuts too. I don't mind the deck swing, feels more like some other brands we have with it as they all do it to some point anyways... I think you will get used to it and love it, I know the ride has to be 10 times better than the tank.... Also a tip, here the scag extra foil lift blades are throwing the grass out better, clippings are longer, but it throws out better and has better suction on our grasses. You might try those on your next round of blades, we use alot here on the 61" decks...

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 05-29-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I would put the lock nuts with the in-dents on the top on everything thats coming loose. But in reality you shouldnt have to be dealing with these types of problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

the steering dampers from another mower , I never really thought about that I will have to try that , yea I am still waiting for it to come back from dealer apparently I was missing some parts ??? oh well im shure they will get it figured out. Yea hopefully these are just minor things and I will like the mower , I will have trouble getting rid of it my girlfriend likes it because of the ride it does not jar nearly as much as the cub tank , but I have to say that tank has been great it has paid for itself over and over and that's all I can ask , had a belt snap on it ( wet and raining , running it hard) other than that nothing replaced so im happy with it , I think I will like the outlaw once I get the mower going and quit having all the small problems , can't wait to get it back I got demoted to the JD walk behind with sulky for now and my girlfriend took the tank , I would rather be sitting than ridding one of those sulky's all day. lol anyhow thanks for the help and ideas guys.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I just demoed the new Outlaw 61" Not sure which one it was I posted a picture of it with the aggressive tires in another BB thread. It had extremely smooth controls I was going wide open downhills and it was not hard to keep straight. Not sure what the differences are between yours and the one I tried. I should of paid more attention but I demoed several different units that day.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 06-15-2013, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Did you get the mower back? Was everything fixed right?
Old 06-17-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes I did get the mower back so far so good , it took them a couple weeks but in there defense they had to order parts cause some were bent and missing. we have been using it only on large properties mainly and everything is going fine as of now so only time will tell , I will say the vanguard engine has plenty of power , I will keep everyone updated as I get more hours on the machine.