Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-07-2014, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

New Mower

Hi I'm new to the mowing business and looking to upgrade to a zero turn! Right now I'm running a gravely walk behind and doing pretty well...but I find myself turning down bigger yards due to time etc...now my question I have 8k right now to start with my local dealers are toro…exmark and gravely...and was wondering if 8k would be enough to get my feet wet on a zero turn or do I need to save a bit more! I know buying used is also a though! So wanted to get some advice from the pros thank you!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would put down 3-5k on a new zero turn, if you know you can make the payment through the winter. Usually you can get the payment under $200-$300 depending on how much you put down.
04 Chevy 3500
04 F350 Diesel
4 60" Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48"
3 8'2" Boss V-Plows
Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
2012 S185 Bobcat 2-Speed

Old 08-07-2014, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

nice that differently a idea...as far as what brand seems from reading reviews everyone has there own options about which brand they go with...i see you run a couple of zmasters! I take it your happy with them? have you had any issues with your toro's? Thanks!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

When I started out all I had was a push mower.
Every time I had the ability to get more yards and bigger property I justified getting the bigger mower.
Just think of it when you get that larger property that you couldn’t get with the smaller mower.
The big yards pay for your new mower.
And then you will be faster on all the other yards you have and then you can get even more yards. It’s a win win for me.
If you have the knack of getting accounts do it.
Stihl Blower
Echo Blower
Echo Trimmer
Echo Hedge Trimmer
Echo Chain Saw 20"
Old 08-07-2014, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamosMidTn View Post
Hi I'm new to the mowing business and looking to upgrade to a zero turn! Right now I'm running a gravely walk behind and doing pretty well...but I find myself turning down bigger yards due to time etc...now my question I have 8k right now to start with my local dealers are toro…exmark and gravely...and was wondering if 8k would be enough to get my feet wet on a zero turn or do I need to save a bit more! I know buying used is also a though! So wanted to get some advice from the pros thank you!
Talk to SLE in Nashville about a Toro. If you can afford a 6000 with Horizon tech it's the way to go. Mine is great. Best Z out there. It will save you money on gas also.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraman View Post
Talk to SLE in Nashville about a Toro. If you can afford a 6000 with Horizon tech it's the way to go. Mine is great. Best Z out there. It will save you money on gas also.
i drove all the way from just north of Chicago to SLE and they were great to work with and i bought one of their mower packages with a trailer and the price was so good that i made that 1070 mile round trip to get it. and i still saved over $500 dollars compared to the prices here
Old 08-07-2014, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

My dealer quoted me a gravely pro turn 160 for $7700 that may worth taking a look at.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2014, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

8 grand can definitely buy you a nice mower. I have a Gravely 148 and really like it. Think that 48 is about the ideal size for most applications unless your doing a lot of yards over an acre.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2014, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Whatever you decide on, don't sacrifice power for a cheaper price. The first ztr I baught was a Big Dog R748 with a 21hp single cylinder Briggs & Stratton. The only.complaint I have about is it's under powered and struggles to cut bahai without having to.cut it twice. A friend.of mine who has been in this business a lot longer than I have, had a gravely 148, a gravely 160 and gravely 252z. The 252 was older with more hours on it but still his crew preferred it over the other two which were newer. The said the 252 cut better and ran better even on Bahia. When he traded them in for Ferris IS2100’s. He and his crews love the Ferris's. BTW I ended up with the 252z and couldn't agree more with his crew's assessment of it. The r748,is now a back up waiting to be repowered. The 48"-52" range is small enough to get in most places and big enough to handle most situations. Shop around and don't be in a rush to make a deal. Demo if you can. If you haven't yet, form a good working relationship with a reputable dealer, not someone just trying to sell you something but someone that actually is supportive. Let's face it. If your business does well so will his benefit from it. Good luck and shop around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2014, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're paying cash then find a nice used one with low hours. Hell.. The dealer down here has a 48" Husqvarna with 750hours for only $2000. I almost bought it this week just so I could put it on craigslist

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!