Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 PM
CowboysLawnCareDelaware's Avatar
CowboysLawnCareDelaware CowboysLawnCareDelaware is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: DE
Posts: 479
Make him walk you around the lawn and show you what he believes to be wrong. Let him know that he is mistaken, assuming your guy did do the job right. If the client still won't pay, threaten to put a contractor's lien on the house.

Michael
__________________
There is an Old Blue Chair for each and every one of us, we just have to find it.


2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:47 PM
humble1's Avatar
humble1 humble1 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 2,308
You still de thatched the lawn it is impossible collect all the thatch without cutting the lawn so short that you would cut the crown of the plant, additionally mowing a lawn and bagging it will still leave cut grass blades behind. The process of thatching the lawn, the equipment used is what you charge for, yes you could get it so clean you could eat off it but that would cost to much, so you do it good enough. Some people have unrealistic expectations its your job to educate them that you did the job and you need to get paid. Turn them over to American profit recovery they are amazing collection co
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:56 PM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Some people have unrealistic expectations its your job to educate them that you did the job and you need to get paid.
That there is the best point. Educating your customers is key to any aspect of the green industry.


......
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Armsden&Son Armsden&Son is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: adirondacks, NY
Posts: 1,875
Wait a minute.... money up front for DE-THATCHING????? And where are those 500.00 jobs at?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,826
I'd rather explain to a client that de-thatching ,, in the first place,,, is a loss of valuable material for the turf and soil,,, than to try explaining the whys and wherefores of 'his unrealistic expectations'... its been 10 years now since I've attempted de-thatching or raking or some other such practice...
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-14-2013, 10:44 AM
humble1's Avatar
humble1 humble1 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I'd rather explain to a client that de-thatching ,, in the first place,,, is a loss of valuable material for the turf and soil,,, than to try explaining the whys and wherefores of 'his unrealistic expectations'... its been 10 years now since I've attempted de-thatching or raking or some other such practice...
How do you do your spring cleanups without raking or dethatching?

Additionally the thatch layer is NOT beneficial a thick thatch layer is a breeding ground for disease and turf insects, at least in cool season grasses. If yolu have a thick thatch layer water and nurients as well as insecticides can not get down thru it...you might want to rethink your position on that one. ITS YOUR JOB to educate customers that dont know the hows and whys of this buisness its called customer service, its also why my company had 30 plus percent growth in a bad economy, and im the highest priced fertilization company in my area.....Education + customers= BIG Profits
__________________
1-Z-plugger
1-lawnsolutions aerator wb
1-Bluebird 48 tow behind
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
How do you do your spring cleanups without raking or dethatching?

Additionally the thatch layer is NOT beneficial a thick thatch layer is a breeding ground for disease and turf insects, at least in cool season grasses. If yolu have a thick thatch layer water and nurients as well as insecticides can not get down thru it...you might want to rethink your position on that one. ITS YOUR JOB to educate customers that dont know the hows and whys of this buisness its called customer service, its also why my company had 30 plus percent growth in a bad economy, and im the highest priced fertilization company in my area.....Education + customers= BIG Profits
I've used only the backpack blowers for 10 yrs. or more... Only rake areas too tight for the blowers... I do not have thatch buildup into a layer that disallows the movement of ferts and 'cide to the soil... no disease or insect infestations either... [I wish I could have some of those fungal diseases everyone keeps talking about, just to see what is all involved... most of the diseases we see around here is simply the, " moron mowing dormant turf parasite"]...

Once a person understands how mulch mowed clippings decay/rot into the soil,,, Aerobically,,, then they can regulate the irrigation in a sensible fashion...
Thatch buildup is a sign of poor cultural practices and turf would be much better off, just being left alone for the first 2 mowings in the Spring...
I cleanup the debris when the snow is gone,,, then overseed,,, then wait to mow a couple of times before I get too excited about fertilizer,,, which is what is EVEN recommended nowdays for cool-season turf,,, strangely enough...
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-14-2013, 12:12 PM
humble1's Avatar
humble1 humble1 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I've used only the backpack blowers for 10 yrs. or more... Only rake areas too tight for the blowers... I do not have thatch buildup into a layer that disallows the movement of ferts and 'cide to the soil... no disease or insect infestations either... [I wish I could have some of those fungal diseases everyone keeps talking about, just to see what is all involved... most of the diseases we see around here is simply the, " moron mowing dormant turf parasite"]...

Once a person understands how mulch mowed clippings decay/rot into the soil,,, Aerobically,,, then they can regulate the irrigation in a sensible fashion...
Thatch buildup is a sign of poor cultural practices and turf would be much better off, just being left alone for the first 2 mowings in the Spring...
I cleanup the debris when the snow is gone,,, then overseed,,, then wait to mow a couple of times before I get too excited about fertilizer,,, which is what is EVEN recommended nowdays for cool-season turf,,, strangely enough...
Nutrient cycling grass clippings returns 1/3 of the N back to the plant however thatch is not made by clippings, it roots, rhizomes and tillers dead matter built up, heavily fertilized lawns will have a thicker layer, overseeding in spring isn't a good idea either IMO you can't get good weed control, try doing it in the late summer you will get better results
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Mahoney3223's Avatar
Mahoney3223 Mahoney3223 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: midwest
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
You still de thatched the lawn it is impossible collect all the thatch without cutting the lawn so short that you would cut the crown of the plant, additionally mowing a lawn and bagging it will still leave cut grass blades behind. The process of thatching the lawn, the equipment used is what you charge for, yes you could get it so clean you could eat off it but that would cost to much, so you do it good enough. Some people have unrealistic expectations its your job to educate them that you did the job and you need to get paid. Turn them over to American profit recovery they are amazing collection co
Posted via Mobile Device
how much they charge?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-15-2013, 12:03 AM
Exact Rototilling's Avatar
Exact Rototilling Exact Rototilling is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zone: 5B
Posts: 4,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Nutrient cycling grass clippings returns 1/3 of the N back to the plant however thatch is not made by clippings, it roots, rhizomes and tillers dead matter built up, heavily fertilized lawns will have a thicker layer, overseeding in spring isn't a good idea either IMO you can't get good weed control, try doing it in the late summer you will get better results
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't tell Smallaxe but I always try to bait and switch dethatching clients over to a dormant grass low mow and I bag it... if they missed the proper heavy fall ap of fertilizer and I do a Spring core aeration with a 16-16-16 fert fast release if I don't have to mow it later or a slower release 16-16-16 if I have to mow over my own plugs.

On my own full service lawns I may decide to do a light lawn combing if the client really feels the need for it. Mainly for psychological comfort than real world good.

In my repeated year after year tests. Low mowing of dormant grass always promotes a faster green up of the lawn over power raking or dethatching or even skipping a low mowing.

Almost forgot. I totally agree on extra weed pressure on seeding in the Spring but I'd rather have weeds over grass seed that the client failed to keep damp due to lazy factor or hot dry conditions which are common here late summer and early Fall.


Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 04-15-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:22 AM.

Page generated in 0.07758 seconds with 7 queries