Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn drip system

I have a client that thinks a lawn drip system is magic cure for his yard and the conditions. I have never installed one, looks fairly easy, but what are the main pros and cons of this system? How would this work for blowing the system out with tough winters? We are in Colorado, so it's supposed to get cold during the winter and the ground freezes. Any info is a big help.

Thanks

ByDesignCo
Old 04-02-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesignCO View Post
I have a client that thinks a lawn drip system is magic cure for his yard and the conditions. I have never installed one, looks fairly easy, but what are the main pros and cons of this system? How would this work for blowing the system out with tough winters? We are in Colorado, so it's supposed to get cold during the winter and the ground freezes. Any info is a big help.

Thanks

ByDesignCo
Not.............
Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Not.............
I guess that was info, helpful to a degree, not what I was looking for.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have plenty of customers that use sub-surface drip for their lawns here in CO. They work great, when installed and maintained properly. Not an easy install as you mentioned.
Put an inline ball valve (netafim has specific ones for their systems) near the far end of the zone as a drain, with a 6" econo box for access, for blowing out in the fall. Manually open each one while blowing out.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I guess that was info, helpful to a degree, not what I was looking for.
Only my humble opinion, underground drip has been touted for years, the only success I've ever heard of were ball fields, where they actually injected warm water into the system and the field was shot-bored absolutely flat.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Thanks

ByDesignCo
What is the customer trying to "cure" and what "conditions" is he talking about?

For those who are familiar with these systems how much more is an install vs conventional overhead irrigation?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

In Colorado we are under watering restrictions. This client lives in an area that is quite windy. He thinks that installing this system will be much more efficient vs/ a traditional spray system. We are talking about an area that aprox 2k sqft of turf.

The issue is, we just installed a spray system last year and have not even put sod in yet. I think it is a huge waste of time/money to redo everything.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
In Colorado we are under watering restrictions. This client lives in an area that is quite windy. He thinks that installing this system will be much more efficient vs/ a traditional spray system. We are talking about an area that aprox 2k sqft of turf.

The issue is, we just installed a spray system last year and have not even put sod in yet. I think it is a huge waste of time/money to redo everything.
What is an example of your areas restrictions? Once a week? Just wondering.

How much will it cost to convert the conventional system?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Member

While we install a lot of drip, it's main application is in beds for plantings. I'm sure the aerating process that is popular around here for turf would trash it.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cppendergrast View Post
I'm sure the aerating process that is popular around here for turf would trash it.
It would, but proponents of drip say that the water movement keeps the soil loose, so that aerating a drip irrigated lawn is pointless.