Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2013, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Dallisgrass in Centipede Lawn

For the longest time I thought I had Crabgrass but after some research it appears its in fact Dallisgrass. From everything i've read, it seems the only way to kill it is to dig it up or spot treat with round-up and have grass take over. I'm almost certain that it is in fact Dallisgrass since the blades sprout from a point in the center and branch out. I bought some Image Crabgrass Killer that is safe for Centipede. Upon reading the paper insert in the box, it also says it controls and suppresses Dallisgrass, however, after an application there doesn't seem to be any harm done to the Dallisgrass. Does anyone know if Image will work to kill it? Do I need to do multiple applications? Any other ideas on how to kill it would be appreciated as well.

Digging up is not an option due to the amount that has invaded my lawn, so if spot treatment of round-up is the best option, are there any tips that will help me do as little damage to the lawn as possible?

Thanks in advance.....
Old 04-03-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I suppose everyone is just as lost as I am on this Dallisgrass issue???

Old 04-03-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure exactly where your located, but the lack of results from Image may have something to do with the temperature where you are. It may just take more time to act in cool temperatures where the dallisgrass is not absorbing the chemical as readily. I don't claim to be an expert, but just my opinion.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's been a long time since I used Poast herbicide but centipede was unfazed by it. I checked the current label and it doesn't mention centipede as resistant, but we used it a lot for grassy weeds in centipede. Maybe someone has more recent experience with it. Do make sure you have centipede before trying this.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Poast is the AG label version of Sethoxydim. What you want is Segment, the Turf label version. That has a label for application of 2.25 pint per acre to centipede grass with a limit of 2 treatments per year. Celsius by itself will yellow and damage dallisgrass. However, for commercially acceptable control, either Monument or Revolver herbicides need to be tank mixed with the Celsius and neither of those products are safe on centipede.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-04-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I live in South Louisiana (Baton Rouge). I sprayed a smaller portion of my back yard w/ the Image about 10 days ago and it didn't seem to bother the centipede so I think I'm good in that aspect.

As for Segment - I see it lists Crabgrass & Goosegrass, but not Dallisgrass... do you think it will in fact kill the Dallisgrass?

I am going to do some more spot treatments with the Image to see if that will start to work, and will also read up on the Poast and Segment Herbicides that ya'll recommended.

thanks!!
Old 04-04-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful if you spot spray roundup. I had a customer last year with the same problem. One of the local garden centers told him to spot spray roundup and he did. He ended up paying me $500.00 to resod all the brown spots.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slawn View Post
Be careful if you spot spray roundup. I had a customer last year with the same problem. One of the local garden centers told him to spot spray roundup and he did. He ended up paying me $500.00 to resod all the brown spots.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah - I think the roundup idea will be the last resort. Gonna try Image again as well as look into the other 2 suggestions in this thread.