Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2013, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Complete Newb

Hello everyone. I am a complete newb when it comes to caring for a lawn. I wanna learn more. I currently live in the northern va area. The house we currently live in had a really nice yard when we moved in. Now it is kind of starting to look no so good. We have a lot of trees in the hard probably about 9 or 10 BIG ones. In the summer time we do have a lot of mosquitoes that annoy me pretty bad because close to my house there is a water run off area where alot of water sits in a wet marsh type setting drawing mosquitoes galore. Anyway to my question these trees drop a ton of leaves all over the yard in the fall and I have a heck of a time keeping up with it.(its pretty much a full time job). Well my mower broke last fall and the leaves have been laying on the grass suffocating it I assume cause underneath the grass died and it is dirt now. Also under the trees there used to be grass now it is turning into a big dirt area just like being in the woods. I think now is the time for fertilizer but all I see at my local homedepot is chicka-doo (chicken poo) fertilizer. Whats the best way to getting on the right track with making my yard look good again? Also there is a low spot in my yard where every time it rains it forms a small lake whats the best way to fill it in? Should I used a bunch of mulched leaves I have?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Post some pics
Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

will do when I get home later this evening.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

okay snapped some photos.

Sorry for all the pictures. In my front yard there is a low spot where water collects what can I put in there to level it out. Its like a lake when it rains. haha
Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You need to improve drainage(unless that is you watertable) and learn how to keep grass in the shade... It is always good to mulch leaves into the soil with a mower, but you are correct in that 'suffocation' becomes an issue,,, so a blower for the leaves would be a quick easy way to go when they become overwhelming... I'd just blow them into the woods...
Old 04-04-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWK96GT View Post
Sorry for all the pictures. In my front yard there is a low spot where water collects what can I put in there to level it out. Its like a lake when it rains. haha
You need to get in the habit of yearly overseeding. Forget about turf in the area of pic 3. The front yard looks to have a slight swale to prevent surface water from flowing over the driveway. Any grade changes here need to be done with extreme care or you might find yourself dealing with a bigger problem. Personally I would redo landscape to accommodate the "lake".