Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

30hp briggs vs kaw FS

If you had to choose between these the 30 hp Briggs Cyclonic or a ˝ 726cc Kawasaki FS. which 1 would you pick and reasons why. I have always been a kohler guy myself. Which 1 is more expensive to self service aka filters and such?
Old 04-03-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm in the same delima.

Check out my post: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=401604

I'm trying to decide between a Kawasaki FS 730V 24 HP or a Briggs Commercial Turf 30 HP. I'll subscribe to this thread.

Lumberjack93
Old 04-03-2013, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Kawi is a true commercial engine, though the FS version doesn't have the remote cannister dual stage air filter that the FX version has. The Cyclonic sells for less because it is not built as well (which is also one reason it weighs less than the Kawi). For homeonwer use it would be fine more than likely, but for part time or full time cutting, the Kawi is a lot better engine. The Cyclonic is not much more than the old Intek B&S engine with fancier fuel & air filters and a new name. When you compare apples to apples, the B&S doesn't have much more HP than the Kawi either. It's all in the ratings game, and how it is applied.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Ridin' Green, thanks for the info. I'm now leaning toward Kawasaki, even though Briggs looks better on paper with respect to gross Horse Power.

Lumberjack93
Old 04-03-2013, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack93 View Post
Check out my post: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=401604

I'm trying to decide between a Kawasaki FS 730V 24 HP or a Briggs Commercial Turf 30 HP. I'll subscribe to this thread.

Lumberjack93
As I will also watch your. thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack93 View Post
Ridin' Green, thanks for the info. I'm now leaning toward Kawasaki, even though Briggs looks better on paper with respect to gross Horse Power.

Lumberjack93
If you look at all the major brand sites, you'll see that any of them that offer the Cyclonic, offer it in larger sizes than the Kawi or Kohler's for the same application(s). That tell's you right there they aren't as durable or well built or they would be in the same cc sizes as the other two for the same application(s) (it's the same way with homeowner grade trimmers etc, vs pro grade equipment- larger engines to provide the necessary durability as a smaller pro engine). They are also a lot cheaper to buy in a machine, again, lower quality construction to keep the price point down.
One other point, they have been out a couple 2 or 3 years now. They are still (generally) only offered on the entry level machines in most brands (outside of Ferris and BB). They have been out long enough to start getting some feedback at the manu's, yet most stay with the top of the line commercial offerings like the Kawi, Kohler and the Vangaurd (which is a Daihatsu engine and B&S in name only). There's a good reason for that.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
The Kawi is a true commercial engine, though the FS version doesn't have the remote cannister dual stage air filter that the FX version has. The Cyclonic sells for less because it is not built as well (which is also one reason it weighs less than the Kawi). For homeonwer use it would be fine more than likely, but for part time or full time cutting, the Kawi is a lot better engine. The Cyclonic is not much more than the old Intek B&S engine with fancier fuel & air filters and a new name. When you compare apples to apples, the B&S doesn't have much more HP than the Kawi either. It's all in the ratings game, and how it is applied.
Well said green. Now if it was the true commercial Briggs like example 32 vanguard I would give the thumbs to the Briggs. But in this case Kawasaki wins.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed, Kawi all the way in this application. Now if it was a Vanguard engine, it would be the other way. In my opinion you cant beat the Vanguard.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by beano View Post
Agreed, Kawi all the way in this application. Now if it was a Vanguard engine, it would be the other way. In my opinion you cant beat the Vanguard.
Agreed. I mentioned them in my last post above. They are very good engines.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

One nice thing about the Briggs 30HP Cyclonic is a replacement cost about $1000 vs probably 1500-2000 for a replacement kawasaki or kohler down the road.

I think the 30HP Cyclonic is 810cc so it is almost 100cc larger than the 726cc Kawasaki. Its hard to compare HP to HP since Briggs is using a different rating method than Kawasaki. I would look at cc and torque if available to get a decent comparison.

When you get a 30HP Cyclonic from Briggs it has a 1 year commercial warranty vs the 3 year from Kawasaki. However on a Ferris machine I believe they are giving you 2 year commercial use warranty with that engine.

For home use I would probably take the Cyclonic. Or even light commercial use. But if you are going to be using it 40+ hours a week I would step up to something else. Or if you just want the better engine for home use to have bragging rights.