Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-03-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
One nice thing about the Briggs 30HP Cyclonic is a replacement cost about $1000 vs probably 1500-2000 for a replacement kawasaki or kohler down the road.

I think the 30HP Cyclonic is 810cc so it is almost 100cc larger than the 726cc Kawasaki. Its hard to compare HP to HP since Briggs is using a different rating method than Kawasaki. I would look at cc and torque if available to get a decent comparison.

When you get a 30HP Cyclonic from Briggs it has a 1 year commercial warranty vs the 3 year from Kawasaki. However on a Ferris machine I believe they are giving you 2 year commercial use warranty with that engine.

For home use I would probably take the Cyclonic. Or even light commercial use. But if you are going to be using it 40+ hours a week I would step up to something else. Or if you just want the better engine for home use to have bragging rights.
The net hp for the Briggs must be kept to within 15% of its listed gross, meaning it will be in no less than a 25.5 hp range based on their rating system. The Kawasaki is rated to within 2% of it listed gross meaning it be within 1/2 hp of its rated 24. The Briggs will probably be more powerful, but may not hold up as well as the Kawasaki.

Last edited by puppypaws; 04-03-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started selling the Cyclonic briggs this year and I'm moving a good handful of them. I was like everyone else, kinda sketchy....but after going to all the dealer meetings this past winter, I ordered some ferris models with the Cyclonic. There is a bunch of enhancements over the original pro series which it is based off of. But still for full time commercial work I would personally choose the Kawi. But the cyclonic does have a full 3 year warranty just like the kawi and the vangaurd. So at least they are standing behind the new cyclonics