Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Who has the Better Engine?
Kawasaki FS730V - 24 HP 11 61.11%
Briggs Commercial Turf - 30 HP 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Bad Boy CZT Elite Purchase (Engine Delima)

Howdy from a new member in Texas. There seems to be a lot of great information on this site and I would highly value your opinion in my next mower selection.

I live in rural Texas and have an aprox. 4 acre yard. My yard has some slopes, a few rough patches, a lot of Oak Trees and a couple of what I call dusty spots. These spots are under the oak canopies in 2 places. I would say that I have no grades over 10%.

After doing research on home ZTR's, I've decided to step into an entry level commercial ZTR. Particularly, the Bad Boy CZT Elite.

http://www.badboymowers.com/bad-boy-...ite-lawn-mower

I think this is a good, heavy duty ZTR that will suffice my needs. The unit seems to have good components and the hydro's are the 12cc Hydro-Gear 3400 commercial series.

http://www.hydro-gear.com/main/produ...saxles/zt-3400

Now to my question. Power.

I have 2 options. A Kawasaki FS730V 24 HP or a Briggs & Stratton Commercial Turf Series 30 HP with the Cyclonic Air Cleaner.

http://www.kawasaki-criticalpower.com/engines/fs/fs730v

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/eng...DE493109244%7d

The problem I'm having is HP ratings and true power. I've read about the HP lawsuits and I also have read where Kawasaki uses a HP rating system that is within a 2% tolerance level.

Per Kawasaki website: "After testing verification and outcome certification, Kawasaki rates engine horsepower per SAE J2723 guidelines, one of the strictest standards in the industry. These guidelines require that most production engines produce at least 98% of their rated values, much tighter than the more commonly used 85% allowed by previous revisions of the SAE J1940 standard."

http://www.kawasaki-criticalpower.co...epower-testing

Briggs uses the SAE J1940 Standard.

Per Briggs website: The gross power rating for individual gas engine models is labeled in accordance with SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) code J1940 (Small Engine Power & Torque Rating Procedure), and rating performance has been obtained and corrected in accordance with SAE J1995 (Revision 2002-05).

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocum...DvrS8lFix2.pdf

My initial thought: Why pay more ($225.00) for an engine with less Horse Power? The Briggs is rated at 30HP and the Kawasaki is rated at 24HP. However, after reading dozens of threads in this forum, I understand that most guys running commercial lawn mowing services on this site prefer Kawasaki.

I guess my biggest question is: Will a 24 HP Kawasaki have as much power and torq as a 30 HP Briggs & Stratton?

Or, would my mower be under powered with a 24HP Kawasaki?

I find it curious that the Kawasaki engine (91.5 lbs) weighs more than the Briggs Engine (84.9 lbs). Even more curious, if you take 30 HP and subtract 15%, you get 25.5 HP

I would really like you pro's to weigh in on this one. For the record, I'm a maintenance freak and take very good care of my equipment. I also mowed on the Grounds Crew while I was a student in college. We ran the big Toro commercial mowers with the bat wing decks in the front to mow all of the university intramural fields and other large areas.

Thanks so much for any input.

Lumberjack93
Old 04-03-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Any takers?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack93 View Post
Howdy from a new member in Texas. There seems to be a lot of great information on this site and I would highly value your opinion in my next mower selection.

I live in rural Texas and have an aprox. 4 acre yard. My yard has some slopes, a few rough patches, a lot of Oak Trees and a couple of what I call dusty spots. These spots are under the oak canopies in 2 places. I would say that I have no grades over 10%.

After doing research on home ZTR's, I've decided to step into an entry level commercial ZTR. Particularly, the Bad Boy CZT Elite.

http://www.badboymowers.com/bad-boy-...ite-lawn-mower

I think this is a good, heavy duty ZTR that will suffice my needs. The unit seems to have good components and the hydro's are the 12cc Hydro-Gear 3400 commercial series.

http://www.hydro-gear.com/main/produ...saxles/zt-3400

Now to my question. Power.

I have 2 options. A Kawasaki FS730V 24 HP or a Briggs & Stratton Commercial Turf Series 30 HP with the Cyclonic Air Cleaner.

http://www.kawasaki-criticalpower.com/engines/fs/fs730v

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/eng...DE493109244%7d

The problem I'm having is HP ratings and true power. I've read about the HP lawsuits and I also have read where Kawasaki uses a HP rating system that is within a 2% tolerance level.

Per Kawasaki website: "After testing verification and outcome certification, Kawasaki rates engine horsepower per SAE J2723 guidelines, one of the strictest standards in the industry. These guidelines require that most production engines produce at least 98% of their rated values, much tighter than the more commonly used 85% allowed by previous revisions of the SAE J1940 standard."

http://www.kawasaki-criticalpower.co...epower-testing

Briggs uses the SAE J1940 Standard.

Per Briggs website: The gross power rating for individual gas engine models is labeled in accordance with SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) code J1940 (Small Engine Power & Torque Rating Procedure), and rating performance has been obtained and corrected in accordance with SAE J1995 (Revision 2002-05).

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocum...DvrS8lFix2.pdf

My initial thought: Why pay more ($225.00) for an engine with less Horse Power? The Briggs is rated at 30HP and the Kawasaki is rated at 24HP. However, after reading dozens of threads in this forum, I understand that most guys running commercial lawn mowing services on this site prefer Kawasaki.

I guess my biggest question is: Will a 24 HP Kawasaki have as much power and torq as a 30 HP Briggs & Stratton?

Or, would my mower be under powered with a 24HP Kawasaki?

I find it curious that the Kawasaki engine (91.5 lbs) weighs more than the Briggs Engine (84.9 lbs). Even more curious, if you take 30 HP and subtract 15%, you get 25.5 HP

I would really like you pro's to weigh in on this one. For the record, I'm a maintenance freak and take very good care of my equipment. I also mowed on the Grounds Crew while I was a student in college. We ran the big Toro commercial mowers with the bat wing decks in the front to mow all of the university intramural fields and other large areas.

Thanks so much for any input.

Lumberjack93
None of us can honestly answer this question due to the fact of having no experience with either of these exact engines. My thoughts are you will not notice very much difference in power, but I feel the Kawasaki will last you for a longer period of time. There again, only mowing 4 ac. once per week, you may find the Briggs to be very suitable for many years, if it was a Vanguard there would be no question in my mind.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

How big of cut is the mower you are looking at? another thing depends on how long you wait to mow every time, if you mow every week the 24 would be fine but if you go every two weeks I would go with the bigger motor
2000 Case skid steer 1840
2013 Classic 33 Horse, 60in Dixie Chopper
2011 Classic 33 Horse ,60in Dixie Chopper
2010 Classic 27 Horse, 60in Dixie Chopper
2005 Silver Eagle 22 Horse, 50in Dixie Chopper
1998 Toro Walk Behind 14 Horse 52in
Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Look at the bore and stroke and cubic inches of both of them.... Anything from 52 down either one would have plenty of power...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have sold a ton of the cyclonic on the bb outlaw and the grasshoppers. I had one failure with a rod going through side at 7 hours, other than that smootb sailing. I keep a replacement 30hp briggs in stock and replace anything that goes out with it. Its amazing motor for $1100 engine swap! I am not scarex of the briggs at all they are good stuff. Kawa is a little more expensive upfront, parts more expensive, but they are hands down the easiest company out of the three for us to warranty and get parts fast. I guaranty 48 hour turn around on motor issues with kawa with the emergency overnite service tbey offer, with briggs and kohler i cant offer that.. i have a customer bringing his in next week with oil leak on crankcasegasket, just membered that, but oil leaks do happen...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I would go with the 30 HP B&S . like I did.
2-21' mowers
4-gas trimmers
4-gas blowers
3-back pack blowers
6x14 trailer/dovetail
7x18 open trailer / car
04 ford f-250 crew 4x4
2013 ford f-150 crew 4x4
Old 04-04-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johns View Post
How big of cut is the mower you are looking at? another thing depends on how long you wait to mow every time, if you mow every week the 24 would be fine but if you go every two weeks I would go with the bigger motor
I'm looking at units with a 52 inch cut. I thought about a 60 inch, but I have so many trees to get around my though was the 52 would be more maneuverable.

Thanks for the advice.

Lumberjack93
Old 04-04-2013, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
Look at the bore and stroke and cubic inches of both of them.... Anything from 52 down either one would have plenty of power...
Posted via Mobile Device
52 is the max size I'll be going on the deck.

LJ93
Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
I have sold a ton of the cyclonic on the bb outlaw and the grasshoppers. I had one failure with a rod going through side at 7 hours, other than that smootb sailing. I keep a replacement 30hp briggs in stock and replace anything that goes out with it. Its amazing motor for $1100 engine swap! I am not scarex of the briggs at all they are good stuff. Kawa is a little more expensive upfront, parts more expensive, but they are hands down the easiest company out of the three for us to warranty and get parts fast. I guaranty 48 hour turn around on motor issues with kawa with the emergency overnite service tbey offer, with briggs and kohler i cant offer that.. i have a customer bringing his in next week with oil leak on crankcasegasket, just membered that, but oil leaks do happen...
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Retro. Decisions Decisions.

I had a dealer call me last night that I had requested a catalog from. I didn't really pay any attention to the Bob-Cat mowers until now. They just didn't end up on my short list. I took a look at the Fast Cat pro and it also seems like a very good mower. Too many decisions.

Thanks for the info.