Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
I don't know the pressure relief on the napa filter. It's actually a wix. Does anyone know?
Posted via Mobile Device
Wix doesn't list the pressure relief on their spec sheet.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know I've already checked. I'm just bound and determined to figure out if there is another filter on the market that is just as good or better for a cheaper price. I get all these opinions on this and that, how I'm gambling or crazy over 20.00. Well that's fine, it's more of the principle of it that bothers me. I hate being forced to buy something that I feel is overpriced. If I ever find out that there is a filter on the market that is just as good, with facts, wouldn't we all benefit by that research? when people give me hell about it and fight me with their opinions over it, it really takes the fun and knowledge out of something that can help us all. After all , this is a lawncare forum to discuss different topics. So the last time I was changing out filters getting ready for the season, I thought I would stop by and check the part number with wix. Well come to find out the part number crosses with the wix filter and looks identical to the exmark and has the same specs as far as micron rating and so on. I don't know the pressure relief since they don't list it. But I will tell you that the machine operates just fine so far with a decent amount of hours on it. It is an older machine that has been out of warranty for a while, so I figured I'd try it. The main purpose of the filter is to filter so as long as the micron rating is the same and it's a suction filter verse a pressure or oil filter, I don't see the harm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2013, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I know from 88 to 95 DC used 10 microns each year the filters went up on microns.
Few years ago I talk to Art Evans Founder of Dixie Chopper I ask him about microns. If I remember right he said 10 will work fine but he said if you want the system last longer higher microns the better for the system.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Member

All that I can say is, as a Amsoil dealer we also sell Wix filters and Wix makes good filters for sure.

With that said, using them or any different filter on a hydro system with any failure won't be a quick thing it would likely be a long term slow failure.

Then it would be hard to tell if it was a filter problem anyways?? IMO

I guess using the manufacture's filter take one less blame out of the equation if there is a problem, in or out of warrenty??

KR
2013 Commercial 30
Old 04-05-2013, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I know I've already checked. I'm just bound and determined to figure out if there is another filter on the market that is just as good or better for a cheaper price. I get all these opinions on this and that, how I'm gambling or crazy over 20.00. Well that's fine, it's more of the principle of it that bothers me. I hate being forced to buy something that I feel is overpriced. If I ever find out that there is a filter on the market that is just as good, with facts, wouldn't we all benefit by that research? when people give me hell about it and fight me with their opinions over it, it really takes the fun and knowledge out of something that can help us all. After all , this is a lawncare forum to discuss different topics. So the last time I was changing out filters getting ready for the season, I thought I would stop by and check the part number with wix. Well come to find out the part number crosses with the wix filter and looks identical to the exmark and has the same specs as far as micron rating and so on. I don't know the pressure relief since they don't list it. But I will tell you that the machine operates just fine so far with a decent amount of hours on it. It is an older machine that has been out of warranty for a while, so I figured I'd try it. The main purpose of the filter is to filter so as long as the micron rating is the same and it's a suction filter verse a pressure or oil filter, I don't see the harm.
Posted via Mobile Device
If we all had the same opinions...we would not benefit from an open debate..
BTW...this field has been plowed many times on this forum...at least 3 or 4 times a year.
If you had researched the archives of this forum...you would have the answer to your question...this very day.
You would know that I have used over 1000 Stens 10 micron filters on various mowers...without any issues..
My successes may not reflect on yours..I do this for a living..
Slapper

Last edited by piston slapper; 04-05-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
These mower companies have y'all whipped! So your telling me that there is no other filter company on earth with the means or technology to produce a filter that's superior to the manufacture? I find that hard to believe. I don't want opinions, I want facts. I wish exmark engineers are some who knows more than me to prove this right or wrong. If I'm wrong, no harm done, we just keep buying their filters. But if I'm right, then I would definitely by the cheaper one. Like I said, ill cut it open shortly when it's time to change the filter, but until then I hope someone will chime in with more knowledge to settle this once and for all with facts, not opinions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Having followed Piston Slapper's posts and having him help me out on my hydro issues I take what he says as pretty close to factual as you can get. His knowledge in his field let alone on Exmark is something to behold.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Ricky,
Good question. So it depends on the hydro system and location of the filter in the system. Since we are talking about exmark, does anyone know how their systems are setup?
Posted via Mobile Device
IT'S A SUCTION SYSTEM. That's my point. And to whoever asked, there is no relief valves in hydro filter
Old 04-05-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
IT'S A SUCTION SYSTEM. That's my point. And to whoever asked, there is no relief valves in hydro filter
I asked because while doing my research that is a common spec listed on these filters. I keep seeing pressure relief 18-22 PSI.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well that makes perfect sense.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is from my Exmark Turf Tracer Manual

P/N 1-513211: 10 microns, 18 psi bypass (Summer use above 32 degrees F (0 C)
P/N 1-523541: 40 microns, 18 psi bypass (Winter use below 32 degrees F (0 C)

hope thats helps