Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2013, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

What should I be looking for?

I'm REALLY small in terms of a lawn business. I cut my own lawn (10,000 sq/ft) and then I currently cut two small lawns that are my neighbors. One is about 4,000 sq/ft and the other is 5,000 sq/ft. I have a rental property that I don't currently cut (the tenant takes care of it), but I may need to cut it sometime in the future. I have two more neighbors (another 10,000 sq/ft and another 4,000 sq/ft) that I can probably pick up.

Anyway, I'd like to upgrade my mower. I currently use a residential 21" Troy Built self propelled. I spend 45 minutes start to finish (pick up sticks, weed eat, mow, blow off sidewalks & drive) on the small yards and a little more than an hour on the larger. I literally walk to these jobs, they are two and three houses down from mine. I want to decrease the time it takes to cut.

One of the lawns has a fairly steep slope in the front, if I had to guess probably 30 degrees or less. Also, this area tends to be wet for days after a good rain (its just where the water drains from her yard and the neighbors yard to the street).

I obviously don't need a ride on ZTR, my yards aren't big enough. I have gates I need to get through, so I'm limited to a 36" walk behind at the largest.

Would a small walk behind (32" or 36") be ideal for this? Would I have to worry about the slope in the front yard and tearing up the grass?

I used to work at a golf course cutting tees/greens/fairways, so I'm pretty picky and particular as to how I cut my grass. My lines have to be perfectly straight and evenly spaced, otherwise I feel as though I did a poor job.

Also, what about the difference between hydro vs. geared and fixed deck vs. floating? I'm trying to spend as little as possible, and eventually I'll be able to buy a new mower at some point.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Member

You pretty much answered your own question!
Just go on Craigslist and get a 36" walk behind. Hydro is nice because they are much easier to back up in small yards

As far as the floating vs fixed deck... It's nice to be able to adjust the deck height on the fly but many people still use fixed deck. You can change the height by adding or subtracting washers as needed.

Belt drives will be less $ than hydros. And fixed decks are less $ than floating. It all depends on what you want.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

toro also has a push mower that is 30" wide but the price tags is only about $1000 I have been looking at them just not sure how the will hold up over the season
Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

get a toro32 floater tbar
Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&Clawncare View Post
You pretty much answered your own question!
Just go on Craigslist and get a 36" walk behind. Hydro is nice because they are much easier to back up in small yards

As far as the floating vs fixed deck... It's nice to be able to adjust the deck height on the fly but many people still use fixed deck. You can change the height by adding or subtracting washers as needed.

Belt drives will be less $ than hydros. And fixed decks are less $ than floating. It all depends on what you want.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think fixed decks hold hills better. That's just my opinion
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I just took a few measurements around one of the lawns, and I think my best bet is going to be either the Toro or the ExMark 30" push mower. I wouldn't be able to get a WB or a stander through the gate to the backyard due to the way the gate opens and the gutter downspout, there's not enough room.. but, the 30" would fit no problem. Plus, the 30" makes more sense because I'm not cutting a lot of lawns and it fits in my budget better (even though I'll still probably take advantage of the financing).