Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2013, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Staffing Agency, Home Depot Parking Lot, Casa de MD

I am going borderline insane with recruiting good individuals to my company. Everything in my company runs smoothly BUT hiring, recruiting, and retaining employees. I know this topic has been talked about A LOT but with good reason. I am very "by the books" and refuse to go pick up the harder working undocumented persons standing at Home Depot but I am almost to that point...

I know this problem is bad in this industry but the DC Metro area is HORRIBLE.

Does anybody know of a good temp-to-perm staffing agency or laborer provider that is suited for seasonal and small businesses in and around DC?

Everybody wants work but nobody wants to work...
Old 04-14-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda funny those guys that probably the best worker in US are the ones you don't want to hire Will you hire them in a few months after the congress gives them green card? Better hire them now cause after they get the green cards they wont' need you.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

have you looked into H-2B.....? I know it is supposed to be changing soon but might still be an option for you....
Old 04-14-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have such a great business, why are you going after those that no one else will hire? Thats like fishing for trout in a goldfish pond. If you cant RECRUIT good people away from your competitors, then maybe you dont have such a great company. Also, many people dont want seasonal employment. Can you guarantee them year round employment? If someone is really good at mowing/landscaping, why would they be out of work??

Just me .02
Old 04-15-2013, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Golden boy - thanks for the straightforward answer! I know my recruitment efforts need some work but do you have any suggestions on how to secure a year rounder when all we offer offseason is snow work in an area where snow will not keep you all that busy?... I am definitely not going after the crumbs of other companies, that would only be a waste of training to have them be let go later.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Looked into H2B but its a few thousand to just sponsor a person to come over here and most the time you must provide housing or the funds for housing nearby. This is something I hope to do farther down the road but cannot afford it at the moment when I only need talent and not so much grunt.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Member

I once had a place that for every 40 hours I work I got 10 hours to use in the winter. Maybe you can bank the ot and use it during the winter so a guy has money rolling year round but only does snow in the winter. Think out of the box to get good guys to work for you. Take care of them and they will take care of you.

Sorry about being so blunt earlier. I see people talk about finding the right guys and why their aren't any good people out there looking for work when the answer is easy as to why they aren't knocking on your door
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2013, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
I once had a place that for every 40 hours I work I got 10 hours to use in the winter. Maybe you can bank the ot and use it during the winter so a guy has money rolling year round but only does snow in the winter. Think out of the box to get good guys to work for you. Take care of them and they will take care of you.

Sorry about being so blunt earlier. I see people talk about finding the right guys and why their aren't any good people out there looking for work when the answer is easy as to why they aren't knocking on your door
Posted via Mobile Device
Banking ot is illegal

Maybe offer a set salary every week. But when you get snow work pay them a bonus
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMSLandscaping View Post
Looked into H2B but its a few thousand to just sponsor a person to come over here and most the time you must provide housing or the funds for housing nearby. This is something I hope to do farther down the road but cannot afford it at the moment when I only need talent and not so much grunt.
You can get any level of person you want........we had two guys that
had college degrees one in design graphics. Unfortunately the program is complicated and requires law firm but we get guys every year.. Fortunately the same guys come back and they aren't grunt. Most of these guys are middle class.